manually 'steering' the P2 for a tracking shot?

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm just getting to know my P2. I've experimented a bit with moving it by hand and of course it resists. Is there a way to disable this? I'm wanting to film a continuous shot in one door of a house and out the other, and though this could be flown for sure, i'm just not confident it's going to be smooth. Is it possible to fly it, then subtly steer it through some tight corners with minimal control from the transmitter, then release it out the back door?

In general, is there a thread on this forum that discusses how to use the P1/P2 for filming that would ordinarily be done with dollys/tracks?

Thanks in advance. I'm very new here and love that there is such a strong community of support! I'll be posting something pretty cool, pretty soon :)

Hello, elcartero!

elcartero said:
In general, is there a thread on this forum that discusses how to use the P1/P2 for filming that would ordinarily be done with dollys/tracks?

Well that would be a bit silly since the entire purpose of the P1/P2 is for getting video footage and simple back and forth shots are the most simple to do. What you need is to put the P2 into attitude mode (ATTI). In ATTI mode, the P2 will not use GPS satellite position locking - all it will do is try to keep itself right-side-up and level (maintain its attitude). Attitude, not altitude - just to clarify. In ATTI mode, if you are flying forwards with the P2 and release the Tx stick completely, the P2 will not come to a stop like in GPS mode. It will keep its momentum and continue to float in that direction. GPS mode tries to keep the P2 in its known GPS location while correcting for wind, etc, whereas ATTI mode does nothing like that, so in ATTI mode, the P2 can be pushed, pulled, blown, etc. and it will just float on. This is what you want to be practicing for nice dolly-type shots.

By default, ATTI mode is disabled on the P2. You need to go into the Assistant software and click the top banner/button thing that says PHANTOM 2 (top right of window) and that will switch it into NAZA mode. Then you need to go into the settings and enable the Tx control mode switch to activate ATTI mode. Have fun with your new Phantom2!

Just brainstorming (watch out!), why not put the aircraft on a cart ( cafeteria cart or anything that would imitate a dolly - including a dolly), enable the gimbal, and walk the cart from the front to the back. You could take off from the cart at the back and have a complete scene. Sounds simple in my mind and would probably decrease prop wear considerably. ;-}

ladykate said:
Just brainstorming (watch out!), why not put the aircraft on a cart ( cafeteria cart or anything that would imitate a dolly - including a dolly), enable the gimbal, and walk the cart from the front to the back. You could take off from the cart at the back and have a complete scene. Sounds simple in my mind and would probably decrease prop wear considerably. ;-}

I have done similar things, but just carry the P2 - don't put it on a cart unless your cart (whatever that may be) has really nice wheels against a perfect surface, otherwise you will end up with lots of little bumps in the footage from the tiny imperfections of the wheels and running over tiny pieces of stuff.

You can get some decent shots if you just let the P2 hover, and then drag it around in ATTI mode. Just WATCH OUT FOR PROPELLERS!

neil64 said:
You can get some decent shots if you just let the P2 hover, and then drag it around in ATTI mode. Just WATCH OUT FOR PROPELLERS!

You can take small bumps out in post but I get what you mean. It is hard to create a smooth rolling surface.

I was just thinking about handling a running Phantom inside the house in ATTI. Every time I went there, I kept seeing this huge sploosh of blood coming out of my arms and neck. :lol:

ladykate said:
rface.
I was just thinking about handling a running Phantom inside the house in ATTI. Every time I went there, I kept seeing this huge sploosh of blood coming out of my arms and neck. :lol:

:lol: Yes, me too. This is why I put the warning in capital letters.

As soon as I hit send I realized that taking it out of gps was probably the ticket. Bingo! Yes it may seem silly to use it this way but if I get some results that are even close to a steadycam or a dolly shot this will be a HUGE win. I'll wear leather armor :) Thanks for the detailed info neil64!

This is sooooo fun!!! I feel like i'm 14 again!!

Course Lock would let the Phantom fly in nice straight lines... but you need a good GPS signal for that which will be more difficult indoors.

You could consider attaching two small rings to the Phantom and threading a thin wire through them. If two people hold the ends you can push it along the wire. Or pull it with an extra wire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair