Manual Mode

Reaction score
Has anyone put the phantom in manual mode yet?

With attitude hold is self levelling when you let go of the stick right?
Ever Quad I have ever seen will do that when you let go of the stick. (It will keep going in the direction it was in but it will level off)

What is the difference in Manual mode? Is that just attitude hold with more gain so you can flip it and such?

I haven't,. nor do I plan to.
sounds only ideal for people who want to do acrobatics. (which might be safe at high altitudes if you can switch to ATTI to regain control). shooting video's with it might be scary.

yes, with Attitude mode, the Phantom levels itself, but will continue with forward momentum or wherever the wind might push it.
GPS mode is the same but locks the Phantom in the same position and tries to correct against further motion or wind when you let go.

jdawson said:
Has anyone put the phantom in manual mode yet?

With attitude hold is self levelling when you let go of the stick right?
Ever Quad I have ever seen will do that when you let go of the stick. (It will keep going in the direction it was in but it will level off)

What is the difference in Manual mode? Is that just attitude hold with more gain so you can flip it and such?
What exactly do you mean by manual mode?
I havent been able to flip her yet, but IF you change the gains on the software, you may be able to flip her

Hi,
I flew mine for a bit in Manual for the first time today. Best to take off in another mode and switch when at a good safe altitude with plenty of room around you. The Quad will immediately climb so be ready to lower the throttle gently to regain your desired altitude. I was in some wind too so that made it more challenging. I recommend a calm day at first. The key word here at first with all moves is gently. My observations are that for example when you pitch forward and release the stick the atitude will remain forward. It will not level itself. You have to pull back on the stick to level it. In this case it will be moving forward so you will pull back and center, When it slows to hover you push forward to level. Hence the title Manual. If it gets out of hand, ( it will at first) switch to ATTi or GPS and it will stabilize.
I think it is a great way to practice control moves. As said, for the experienced collective pitch pilot it opens the door t some serious acrobatics.
Every should try this eventually at least a couple of times. Very sobering.
I would not for a second think you can fly normally at first.
I think its cool DJI has provided this mode.

Cheers,

greg

As lyricon says, the quad will not auto level in manual mode, so be ready to flip back to atti or gps as a panic move if you lose control.

I've flown a bit in manual mode lately, and if you think the quad is fast in atti mode, you haven't seen nothing yet! You can get very high speeds, even with the default gains. Looping is also possible, but I wouldn't recommend people trying it if you haven't done so before. I also tried to roll mine, but that didnt work, once i got to about 90' angle, the motors just stalled and forced me to level it out again to remain airborne.

Eik said:
As lyricon says, the quad will not auto level in manual mode, so be ready to flip back to atti or gps as a panic move if you lose control.

I've flown a bit in manual mode lately, and if you think the quad is fast in atti mode, you haven't seen nothing yet! You can get very high speeds, even with the default gains. Looping is also possible, but I wouldn't recommend people trying it if you haven't done so before. I also tried to roll mine, but that didnt work, once i got to about 90' angle, the motors just stalled and forced me to level it out again to remain airborne.

You may want to increase the GAIN close to 200% for quicker response.
When I got my Y6 over a year ago, I started off flying with ACC mode (same as ATTI), after a few months I switched to manual mode and found that the flight is much smoother and better groove. So now when I switch the ACC on, my flight will look like a new pilot because it will be like a start, stop and jerky all the time. So for flying around for fun, I prefer the manual mode.

As for the Phantom, with default GAIN setting and manual mode it won't be that stable but quite manageable.
Note that just before to flip the switch to manual, make sure that the throttle is in the middle position, or your Phantom will either drop or jump! Remember one thing, "altitude is your friend".
Have fun.

From what I've seen manual mode doubles the gain/speed of the motors but also there is no limit to the angle at which the Phantom will tilt etc.

So manual mode is the only mode you can flip, spin, roll the Phantom.

Also if you select the motor cutoff type intelligent in stead of immediately, once the Phantom tilts pass 70 degree, the motors will automatically STOP unless you are in Manual mode of course.

I'm a total noob, so not much chance of trying manual mode !

I used to have a Trex 450, actually I got 2 really nice used ones. I put training wheels on it and was just going to adjust the
trim on the radio, when a hawk flew in between myself and the heli, I was so tense, and concentrating hard. The hawk
scared me, and I hit the throttle lever. The heli jumped about 40 feet into the air, and the radio started beeping, I don't even know why. Anyway I looked at the radio, then back to the heli, and it was upside down coming towards me.... I rebuilt it, but sold both shortly thereafter..

The Phantom, with ATTI or GPS, yeah.... that's just my speed.

I did some practicing in manual mode this morning. I think everyone should have this mode enabled and at least practice hovering, etc in that mode. In the event of a fly away, this might be the only mode that allows you to regain full control, so it's wise to be familiar with it.

What helped me a lot is having a practice drone that supports "3D" mode, like the Walkera Ladybird QR V2. Practicing with that has definitely improved my hand eye coordination and depth perception. Plus you can fly it inside on those bad weather days. :D

Gizmo3000 said:
I haven't,. nor do I plan to.
sounds only ideal for people who want to do acrobatics. (which might be safe at high altitudes if you can switch to ATTI to regain control). shooting video's with it might be scary.

yes, with Attitude mode, the Phantom levels itself, but will continue with forward momentum or wherever the wind might push it.
GPS mode is the same but locks the Phantom in the same position and tries to correct against further motion or wind when you let go.

The best reason, and why you should install manual mode, is if something goes wrong, and your Phantom gets a flyaway, then you have manual override, as some phantoms are known to just take off on their own.

denodan said:
Gizmo3000 said:
I haven't,.

The best reason, and why you should install manual mode, is if something goes wrong, and your Phantom gets a flyaway, then you have manual override, as some phantoms are known to just take off on their own.

Not so fast. The manual mode will NOT safe you from the fly away if it is caused by the lost of communication between the tx and Phantom or in case that the fail safe wouldn't kick in or did not perform its job properly. Also, if your Phantom record the incorrect home base and the RTH kicks in, the manual mode will not safe you either.

Therefore your "something goes wrong" has to be the the malfunction of the ATTI or GPS mode but you must still have the communication between your tx and its Phantom.

But as the last resource, if you have it set, then by all means try it because you will never know. That's why they named it, "Phantom". ;)

I'd like to add that before you switch to manual mode, make sure your throttle stick is ABOVE the mid point otherwise, your Phantom will drop very fast. ;)

I turned manual mode on via the computer link today. Ive been flying each day after work w/no problems until this evening. I had the mode in GPS and as soon as I took off the phantom began wobbling uncontrollably. I pulled the throttle all the way back and it did a nose dive and hit the ground very hard. I tried again after looking the phantom over and went through the start up routine again and it did the same thing.

I am back in my apt now and just turned the manual back to atti mode. I'm just hoping it will fly OK tomorrow evening when I try again. I never did put the switch in manual while attempting to fly, only in GPS mode??

Worried something is screwed up.

Because the phantom is not using many of it's sensors in manual mode will this result in more flight time. Or is it offset by the increased use of the RX from all the throttle and control inputs?

I also have a small, very small quad that you must control everything. If manual mode in the Phantom is anything like that small unit, I would never want to use manual. That thing is a ***** to fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers