Manual Mode and Failsafe?

Reaction score
Is it possible to configure the controller to have manual mode and retain the on demand return to home option as well? I'm interested in trying manual mode operations but i prefer to have the security of knowing i can get the phantom to come back to me from whatever direction.

The return home function shouldn't change when you config manual mode. I do not think you will have to worry about the quad flying away in manual mode. I tried it a couple of times and it is completely different. I highly advise you to be at least 200-300ft before switching to manual. You will also need to switch to gps to save the quad from tumbling to the ground, and don't wait too long to switch it either. You might even want to put the camera in FPV mode so that the gimbal wont take such a beating from flopping around when the quad is going through a tumble.

flyNfrank said:
The return home function shouldn't change when you config manual mode.
Right, but, you will no longer be able to manually activate the RTH feature using the S1 switch.

kenundrum, turning off the remote control will also activate RTH. While not the same, it's your only option.

kenundrum said:
Is it possible to configure the controller to have manual mode and retain the on demand return to home option as well? I'm interested in trying manual mode operations but i prefer to have the security of knowing i can get the phantom to come back to me from whatever direction.

You can only program manual mode in one place and that is S1 down. Which is the only place you can program Failsafe to a switch position as well. Remember you can initiate RTH by turning off the controller too. And you can Home Lock on S2 to get the phantom to come back to you from whatever direction. Assuming you have a home point stored and >=6 sats available.

Unless his quad takes off on it's own for some unknown reason, I just can't see where RTH would come into play. It that gps mode position that will help keep him from wasting the quad as will as hold it's position until he figures out what he wants to do with control levers.

for me, the return to home function is a crutch. I always make sure a home location is successful before takeoff. There are times when I fly in a wide open area and I get target fixation on the FPV and I lose track of the Phantom's position in the air. I hear it, but can't quite pinpoint it. I flip the switch to return home until I can make it out and then regain control.
I totally forgot about the S2 functions of home lock- It was disabled by default on my new V3 and i never used it on my previous phantom, so i didn't care to enable it. I'll maybe get used to that being my crutch for LOS loss. I have a few other rc helicopters without autopilot systems and i'm interested in seeing how the phantom performs without the aids in place. I'll probably just take off the gimbal altogether just in case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31