Manual camera settings: how to ensure proper exposure?

Reaction score
I intend to use following settings on the P3A:

ISO 100
WB: manual, as applicable
COLOR: D-LOG
FPS: 60
SHUTTER: 1/125

Say it's a sunny day and I'm overexposed so I put a ND16 filter on. How do I check for proper exposure? Is it simply by looking at histogram or by turning on overexposure lines? Or do I squint at the iPad and make a guess?? I'd like to do stills and videos in manual, mainly for monitoring of construction sites.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I've been looking to no avail...

In manual and with no ND filters on, adjust the shutter speed until you get an ev of 0 or until you like the exposure that you get. Then divide that shutter speed by the one that you want to use (e.g. 1/125). For instance, suppose that the shutter speed is 1/1000. 1000/125 = 8. So use an ND8 filter. ND filter values and exposures are explained in the attached chart. I have a small handheld light meter that I use to read the ambient light and then refer to my notes (I keep notes on meter readings and what ND filters, etc. I use) to select the proper filter. That way, I can set the camera up pretty close before I power it on.

Attachments

• ND Filters.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 438
Reactions: FreeBerd
In manual and with no ND filters on, adjust the shutter speed until you get an ev of 0 or until you like the exposure that you get. Then divide that shutter speed by the one that you want to use (e.g. 1/125). For instance, suppose that the shutter speed is 1/1000. 1000/125 = 8. So use an ND8 filter. ND filter values and exposures are explained in the attached chart. I have a small handheld light meter that I use to read the ambient light and then refer to my notes (I keep notes on meter readings and what ND filters, etc. I use) to select the proper filter. That way, I can set the camera up pretty close before I power it on.

Thanks Richard R., that is exactly what I needed! I have not been too happy with the default auto settings so I'm working on going Manual. Appreciate the response and the chart. Do you shoot in D-LOG or CUSTOM? I've seen a lot of advice on going custom with -2, -3, -2. I'd rather not do too much in POST for now though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues