Man's GoPro stolen from Drone

I just read the comments.

:shock:

Please tell me those posters aren't representative of the majority of US citizens? Never mind an advert for the necessity for gun control, it was like reading a comic parody of how the rest of the world sees the US. (I am of course joking, and do not base my views of an entire nation on the internet comments of some "interesting" types)

I love the "my yard, behind fences, my privacy" thing - benefits of being in a big country with big "yards" I guess. From my upstairs window I can can see clearly into the "gardens" of 4 neighbours, and into some of another 9. I wonder what, or what sort of activities, all those privacy freaks are hiding - the mind boggles. ;)

Must not have been a phantom with zenmuse. I doubt the guy had a 2mm Alan wrench in his pocket :lol: It's such a pain to take that thing off.

Wow... We need to get better PR... Some of those comments, made in total ignorance, were pretty scary... Then again... I collect and shoot hand guns, so I'm quite used to general comments made in total ignorance. Some subjects just get a knee jerk reaction... :roll: :shock:

We've gotta lose this "drone" label... Definitely carries negative connotation.

-slinger

The primary lesson I get from the comments is that people generally have no idea what the law is ... but they think they do and will fight (to the death?) as a result. Of course, every jurisdiction has it's own rules but generally ..

If I fly over someone else's property and interfere with their "enjoyment" of their property, I have committed trespass. If I crash my craft onto someone else's property, I have committed trespass and I need their permission to retrieve it. If I retrieve it without their permission I will have committed a 2nd trespass. HOWEVER, the land owner cannot cannot keep my craft or do any (further) damage to it (it's still mine). They can either retrieve it and bring it to me or they can direct me as to how to retrieve it. Naturally (and sadly), obtaining compliance with the actual law may require the involvement of the police or the courts.

Here's a related piece on trespass written by an attorney for the AMA:

This document suggests that if the GoPro owner can find who has the camera, he can recover damages.

In my adult life I have served on several juries in two different (US) states. Though I don't really know of a better system, I fervently hope I never have to be judged by a jury of my "peers".

Attachments

• 2012Fliers&Trespass.jpg
    2012Fliers&Trespass.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 592
This guy deserves the criticism he is getting.

He is flying over other people's property with a camera equipped drone (there is absolutely no reason to expect them to assume that the drone is benign) which then crash lands in a street – a street – used by bicycles, motorcycles and automobiles.

It's not inconceivable to think it could have caused an accident.

Visioneer said:
The primary lesson I get from the comments is that people generally have no idea what the law is ... but they think they do and will fight (to the death?) as a result. Of course, every jurisdiction has it's own rules but generally ..

If I fly over someone else's property and interfere with their "enjoyment" of their property, I have committed trespass. If I crash my craft onto someone else's property, I have committed trespass and I need their permission to retrieve it. If I retrieve it without their permission I will have committed a 2nd trespass. HOWEVER, the land owner cannot cannot keep my craft or do any (further) damage to it (it's still mine). They can either retrieve it and bring it to me or they can direct me as to how to retrieve it. Naturally (and sadly), obtaining compliance with the actual law may require the involvement of the police or the courts.

Here's a related piece on trespass written by an attorney for the AMA:

This document suggests that if the GoPro owner can find who has the camera, he can recover damages.

In my adult life I have served on several juries in two different (US) states. Though I don't really know of a better system, I fervently hope I never have to be judged by a jury of my "peers".

Correct and accurate interpretation of the law. It's really scary to see some of the comments and the ignorance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik