Manfrotto D1 Backpack

Reaction score
Trying to decide on a backpack for my P3P.

I've glanced through the long list of backpacks that was offered on a few threads - I'm trying to find one that is compact where I can actually hike with it (not seeing myself throwing a suitcase on my back and expect these tired legs to hike with it!)

Came across the Manfrotto D1 - like how I can throw a DSLR with a mid zoom in the back with the P3P if I wanted.

Just curious if anybody had thoughts on what looks like minimal protection at the bottom of the backpack for two of the props?
IMG_7001.jpg

If you removed the zoom from the camera I'm pretty sure you can do it with the Think Tank Phantom 3 backpack. I just bought one and I'm amazed how much room there is in it. Notice I have strong arm backets installed? This craft wouldn't even fit in the Fearless or Go Professional backpacks, simply because of those brackets, way too tight. Below are some pictures with a DSLR and zoom in a couple internal pockets. Notice there's more room for other stuff, I've got growth room. This is one of the few I've found that allow reconfiguration of the internal wall, which would allow someone with a DBS Mod antenna to carry it in the backpack without having to remove the antenna. This bag is nice, and very versatile.
upload_2015-12-24_11-35-28.png

upload_2015-12-24_11-36-25.png

Reactions: AAPhoto
If you removed the zoom from the camera I'm pretty sure you can do it with the Think Tank Phantom 3 backpack. I just bought one and I'm amazed how much room there is in it. Notice I have strong arm backets installed? This craft wouldn't even fit in the Fearless or Go Professional backpacks, simply because of those brackets, way too tight. Below are some pictures with a DSLR and zoom in a couple internal pockets. Notice there's more room for other stuff, I've got growth room. This is one of the few I've found that allow reconfiguration of the internal wall, which would allow someone with a DBS Mod antenna to carry it in the backpack without having to remove the antenna. This bag is nice, and very versatile.
View attachment 38427
View attachment 38428

Dear John,

I am currently searching for the best available backpack. My concerns and questions of the Manfrotto are the following:

- Do they fit the standard carry on sizes on airplanes?
- I usually bring my GoPro gear as well for travelling and I do not want to carry two different backpacks, so I am searching for one that can be packed with DJI and GoPro gear. Is this ready for that? I have a 20-25cm long pole, a small Gorilla Tripod, some cases, some screws, a turnspro panner, head mount, strapmount, other basic mounting options, possibly another pole (microjib), suction cup, filters for both dji and gopro, 3 dji batteries and the other normal dji acessories (ipad, rc, etc.).
- Is this bag water resistant?

I did get the hardshell for free, but I cannot fit my Gopro pack into it..

Thanks for the answers and best regards:

P.

Hi All,

I to am looking at the Manfrotto D1 backpack. Residing in the UK were limited for backpack options (GPC charge $190 shipping for there backpacks to the UK)

I have bought 2 backpacks but found the first had great foam interior but very poor backpack quality.

Then I bought the Manfrotto 3N1-35 but it has poor Velcro interior and a tight fit.

Now I'm not sure to go for this or the DJI hard case but as I have an iPad Air it wouldn't fit in the hard case unless I put it under the foam and that's a bit of a fuss.

Anyway there is a 7 minute video review here about the Manfrotto D1
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fly Safe,

Murray

I have a fearless engage backpack. $99 on Amazon. great backpack with amazing value, quality is great and holds lots of stuff. also has Amazon prime for free shipping if you have that. it isn't way to big but isn't small. I haven't seen any other backpacks in person so don't know what to compare it to. Quite comfortable and has chest and waist straps so would probably be a good hiking one. I wouldn't say the most compact bag, but I would go on a hike or 2 with it.

View attachment 38427
View attachment 38428

How much does that bag weigh with all your gear in it? It looks perfect for me. I currently have a Lowepro 350AW for my dslr gear and hiking gear, and use the free dji backpack I got for the P3P, which I just received two days ago. While I play around and learn the ropes on the P3P, this is fine, but come Springtime, I'm going to want to carry all my gear up some mountains. :)

Dear John,

I am currently searching for the best available backpack. My concerns and questions of the Manfrotto are the following:

- Do they fit the standard carry on sizes on airplanes?
- I usually bring my GoPro gear as well for travelling and I do not want to carry two different backpacks, so I am searching for one that can be packed with DJI and GoPro gear. Is this ready for that? I have a 20-25cm long pole, a small Gorilla Tripod, some cases, some screws, a turnspro panner, head mount, strapmount, other basic mounting options, possibly another pole (microjib), suction cup, filters for both dji and gopro, 3 dji batteries and the other normal dji acessories (ipad, rc, etc.).
- Is this bag water resistant?

I did get the hardshell for free, but I cannot fit my Gopro pack into it..

Thanks for the answers and best regards:

P.
I think you'd like the Think Tank. It's got the most room of any I've found and it "should" be OK for airline travel if need. Here's my Wiki report on the backpack. ThinkTank is what I'm using now.

How much does that bag weigh with all your gear in it? It looks perfect for me. I currently have a Lowepro 350AW for my dslr gear and hiking gear, and use the free dji backpack I got for the P3P, which I just received two days ago. While I play around and learn the ropes on the P3P, this is fine, but come Springtime, I'm going to want to carry all my gear up some mountains. :)
Without the DSLR, it's 15lbs fully loaded, including the drone, charger, 3 batteries and one in the craft, Marco Polo tracker, an iPad Air2 w/cover, sun shield, ND lenses, and 4 extra props. With all the extra room this backpack has I'm sure I'll start taking my new Hero4Silver GoPro with me in the backpack for land based videos.

Reactions: AAPhoto
Can any one share their thoughts on how the Manfrotto D1 does with caring non-drone stuff i.e. Food, water, rain gear, first aid kit...ect. (Day hike into location).
Looks like a great bag. More versatile space than the Think Tank or other bags with foam inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just in case anyone is still looking for a good Phantom bag:

After researching and reading reviews on various bags, I chose the Manfrotto D1 and am really glad I did. I have the Phantom 4 and was able to fit everything that came with the P4, extra batteries, extra props, cables, iPad, Cannon 60D camera with 3 lenses (50mm, 70-200mm, and 18-135mm) in this bag along with the tri-pod (externally), and still had extra storage space in the little red detachable cases. And yes, even with reviews saying no, the P4 batteries fit perfectly into the battery compartments.

The only recommendation I would have is to get motor covers for the rotors (just in case). The way the drone sits, seems protected enough, but I just don't want to take any chances. I got mine for 6.99 on Amazon.

I purposefully got this case for two reasons: A-I hike a lot in the mountains with various temperatures. So, comfort (with back issues) was very important to me. The padding on this bag is perfect for hiking. It may get a little warm on the back in the Summer (we'll see), but what bag really doesn't. B-I got this because I am also a photographer. I love the fact that I can fit 3 different lenses, my larger camera body, and strap in the top compartment perfectly. This was perhaps the largest selling point for me. I didn't want to have to carry 2 bags.

Overall, a fantastic bag and worth the price. I have seen many other bags cheaper that look cluttered and lacking in good reviews, and others that look great but substantially higher in price point with no DSLR space. Oh, and the design is great too. It's sleek nature makes it feel less bulky and more comfortable on the back.

i purchased this one today, if u sign up for the email news letter you can get 5% off.

DJI Phantom 4 Backpack

we'll see how it is when it arrives, if i don't like it i'll send it back, but seems okay!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers