Maneuvers for filming / Circles/ Advanced Flight

L

lightingbryan

I have been searching for a long time for videos or discussions on advanced / intermediate / beginning flight maneuvers for filming in a cinematic way.

It would be nice to see some videos discussing different moves and techniques while filming. All other cinematography products such as dollies, cranes, and tripods have tons of suggestions but I can't seem to find any for flight . I am probably looking in the wrong spot! Thanks!

I would be also very interested in these techniques
Maybe some could use a go pro on a head cam showing the control movements and inset that into a sequence video of the main subject, a few short clips of circling, pans , course lock etc , who knows it could become a tutorial seller showing things to practise? :D

One I've tried to do and not mastered yet is rising with camera pointing down whilst yawing 360 , I tend to drift of centre whilst rising.

The key is practice. Just pick something and fly around it again and again and again and again... I've flown hours and hours practicing doing this and have gotten pretty good at it. I also do video production professionally and have lots of experience with operating steadicams and jibs, so I had a base knowing of how to move the camera in relation to the subject.

I do it quite a bit in my videos now that I've got it down and it's a really nice way of filming things.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N6rTW3StKY

Having FPV is key, and flying with a spotter helps too so you can focus only on getting the shot and not worry about flying sideways into a tree.

Start by flying forward at constant moderate speed, red lights in front.
Keeping that slow but steady forward motion going, use the yaw to turn just very slightly. and keep the gradual turn going to describe your circle, making it as accurate as possible
Then try the same thing with front (and camera) pointing inwards.
The key for video even with a gimbal is making smooth movements at relatively low speed for the most part.

The hard thing without FPV is being able to judge how far you are away from a somewhat distant object you want to circle.

laselvasurf said:
The key is practice. Just pick something and fly around it again and again and again and again... I've flown hours and hours practicing doing this and have gotten pretty good at it. I also do video production professionally and have lots of experience with operating steadicams and jibs, so I had a base knowing of how to move the camera in relation to the subject.

I do it quite a bit in my videos now that I've got it down and it's a really nice way of filming things.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N6rTW3StKY

Having FPV is key, and flying with a spotter helps too so you can focus only on getting the shot and not worry about flying sideways into a tree.

Your video actually made me start looking for tutorials. Great job! Maybe while filming next time you could think about your different techniques, then later make a video?

laselvasurf said:

VERY nice work!

lightingbryan said:
laselvasurf said:

Your video actually made me start looking for tutorials. Great job! Maybe while filming next time you could think about your different techniques, then later make a video?

I'll try and do that. Maybe mount a gopro where you can see my fpv monitor and controller...

For those interested... Here is a raw clip of something I shot yesterday morning. I started off, got my shot lined up and then did a raise and circled around the rower. You can see me in the beginning of the clip standing up on the deck on the left.

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZUcxckhjckk4Q1NVQU1UQw

This will eventually be used in an edit I'm doing featuring the harbor, but I thought I'd share this specific clip for reference.

Very nice as well as butter smooth. The problem I have is "twitchy fingers". I find it physically difficult to apply steady low pressure on the sticks. I adjusted the yaw rate on my Futaba radio and although that helps, I keep getting small throttle spurts as I yaw. Any suggestions? Wear boxing gloves? :)

laselvasurf said:
For those interested... Here is a raw clip of something I shot yesterday morning. I started off, got my shot lined up and then did a raise and circled around the rower. You can see me in the beginning of the clip standing up on the deck on the left.

This will eventually be used in an edit I'm doing featuring the harbor, but I thought I'd share this specific clip for reference.

GearLoose said:
Very nice as well as butter smooth. The problem I have is "twitchy fingers". I find it physically difficult to apply steady low pressure on the sticks. I adjusted the yaw rate on my Futaba radio and although that helps, I keep getting small throttle spurts as I yaw. Any suggestions? Wear boxing gloves? :)

laselvasurf said:

Have you setup a dual rate switch tied to the yaw channel on your Futaba? That really helps smooth things out too.

laselvasurf said:

Again really nice, loved the end shot raising up and around

(I hope this thread can show some great techniques with practical advice on the tx control,framing, use of light,etc)

Awesome flying and video. I enjoyed watching it and didnt feel the need to fast forward. That for me is the sign of a great video. At first, I thought some of those long flowing shots moving away were filmed forward and then reversed, but the birds and cars are moving forward! Well done......particularly the long closing shot. I found where you were standing and it's a long ways away from that first low bridge you flew under. Impressive!

There's a guy in France that posts here occasionally with awesome flying skills also. My hats off to both of you. We vacation every year in Felton, I need to do some early morning filming in Capitola while I'm there this summer.

laselvasurf said:

This clip is even more impressive......pacing the rower is incredible. Very nice. I've watched you closely on the deck, but you seem to be watching the rower directly rather than watching a FPV display.....??

None of the videos in this thread are accessible anymore :-(. Has anyone found a maneuvers guide or instructional videos since this thread was active in 2014?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20