Making Money with a drone

Reaction score
I am aware that most of us are just hobbyists and I know that there are FAA regulations regarding commercial use for drones. Yet has anyone used their Phantom to make money or have any idea? I am filming my sisters wedding this September with my P3P and I will post a video then. I was thinking of doing some aerial photography for ranches, filming golf courses and other weddings. Any other ideas on how to use the Phantom for profit or any comments?

Reactions: sawx75
I read through the 333 Exemption stuff last night to see if I should try to get an exemption for some commercial work that I've been hired to do. It doesn't seem to be worth it. WashingtonPost did a story about how the FAA has no intentions of going after responsible flying drone pilots who are using their drones for commercial purposes.
Here's a link to a Realtor who got his exemption. Looks like it cost $5K+ to get it done - http://www.washingtonpost.com/r/201...alBusiness/Graphics/Trudeau_Douglas-11138.pdf
Here's the related story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ke-a-quick-buck-the-faa-has-33-rules-for-you/

Reactions: Squirrel!
A friend of mine has a photography business and has been doing aerial shoots for over a year without issue. When I mentioned to him it was illegal he just told me the FAA was to busy to bother with the little guy. I guess he has a point as he is making good money filming Ranches, Cabins in the woods, weddings, and commercial property and has not had a cease and desist order yet :)

My deal is I would want to be insured. Pretty certain you would have a hard time getting insurance for commercial work with no license/exemption. Wish the faa would quit dragging its feet.

get an umbrella insurance,for your home insurance+ get a membership with AMA, will make u look more responsable plus they have insurance

i have been asking myself the same question and doing some research. what i found is that a good place to start is realtors. they will sometimes pay hundreds of dollars for a helicopter to come take a few pics of a house. another is hunters or people with lots of land who might want some high up pictures.

i have been asking myself the same question and doing some research. what i found is that a good place to start is realtors. they will sometimes pay hundreds of dollars for a helicopter to come take a few pics of a house. another is hunters or people with lots of land who might want some high up pictures.

Why charge for the fly over, charge for the editing and then you aren't doing anything wrong.

Duh.....

Why charge for the fly over, charge for the editing.
Duh.....
If you try that, you are the only person getting fooled.
FAA or whoever wouldn't take a microsecond to see through that if they were on your case.
They might be dumb ... but not that dumb.
It's mentioned in forums all the time but it's just not going to fly

Fly safe and stay below the radar.

FAA or whoever wouldn't take a microsecond to see through that if they were on your case.

So more money for me then.................. haa haa...............

No .. it's not more money for anyone.
I was just saying charge for flying but don't do the silly only-charging-for-editing ruse because no-one will ever believe it anyway.
Just be sensible and don't go attracting attention to yourself.

No .. it's not more money for anyone.
I was just saying charge for flying but don't do the silly only-charging-for-editing ruse because no-one will ever believe it anyway.
Just be sensible and don't go attracting attention to yourself.

Well, just don't say anything. Duh...

Some of you just read too many rules...............

You're perfectly safe simply charging for the editing of the project and not the specificity of using a drone. You honestly think the FAA is going to demand an itemized invoice from you and then scrutinize the billing? Huh? And explain to me the difference between flying over an area for hobby and for a future video? I think you're all over-thinking this. The FAA cares about you being a safe pilot, not whether your shot may end up in a video for a Realty company.

You're perfectly safe simply charging for the editing of the project and not the specificity of using a drone. You honestly think the FAA is going to demand an itemized invoice from you and then scrutinize the billing? Huh? And explain to me the difference between flying over an area for hobby and for a future video? I think you're all over-thinking this. The FAA cares about you being a safe pilot, not whether your shot may end up in a video for a Realty company.

+1

The only reason to use the only-charging-for-editing ruse would be because you think it's some sort of loophole that would protect you in case of a prosecution.
It won't so there's no point doing it.
But if you were ever in a situation where you had to explain you weren't flying commercially, it would be less convincing than the good old dog-ate-my-homework story.
Really, it's right up there with other classics like: Honest, the cheque is in the mail
Or .. the ridiculous idea that the difference between legal and illegal flying is whether or not you sell the photos.

The only reason to use the only-charging-for-editing ruse would be because you think it's some sort of loophole that would protect you in case of a prosecution.
But if you were ever in a situation where you had to explain you weren't flying commercially, it would be less convincing than the good old dog-ate-my-homework story.
Really, it's right up there with other classics like: Honest, the cheque is in the mail

It's not a ruse... you WOULD be charging for the editing. ?!?!? I charge most of my video projects by editing and a day-rate for shooting - I don't charge per camera type.

Reactions: suck it up
Or .. the ridiculous idea that the difference between legal and illegal flying is whether or not you sell the photos.

What ever dude............... do what you want.........................

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic