Making mistakes with Litchi

Reaction score
So today, I flew my first mission with Litchi. I was slightly concerned about losing signal, but I had read that if I do lose signal, the quad will continue to fly the mission and then RTH. Well, long story short, I messed up.
51a1adbbd2a92163ed006c216866cb8a.jpg

As you can see from the map, there were supposed to be 24 waypoints beginning and ending at my house. The presence of a 25th waypoint is what caused the issue. I must have clicked an extra time on the map screen, because instead of racing back to me after completing the mission, my quad took a hard right and headed through a neighborhood and stopped directly above a home, hovering at 20ft. It was at that time that RTH was initiated. I have to be honest, at first I blamed the app. But when I went back and looked at the mission, it was clearly my fault.

Two takeaways from this: Even a pre-planned mission can take unexpected turns, so if at all possible, you should stay within range of your drone.
Second, always Always ALWAYS recheck and double recheck your mission details. Especially when you haven't flown a particular route before, the difference between one digit out of place can mean the end of your machine.

Fly safe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: fordruid
Not judging, God forbid but wasn't that 25th point a little obvious on your mission planning? It kinda stands out.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I like how your mission goes around all the houses! I was doing that to begin with, now I just throw her up to 3-400 feet & beeline for where I want to go, then drop back down... When in doubt, altitude is your friend! I often fly new missions at 3-400 feet just to scout the path and make sure I am all good before re-flying at lower altitude. With this you also have a much better signal usually as well before you drop down and "let her off the leash" as I have coined flying a mission with no signal.

When I plan missions, I review every waypoint over and over before I fly them. I haven't been flying long, but have learned many lessons already. Pay close attention to the waypoint information that tells you how the ground altitude changes from your takeoff point. learned that one in my first test of follow me mode... I had her follow me 6 miles from my house to a friends, not realizing there was a 140 foot change in elevation by the time I got there and I was literally skimming the treetops when I realized what was happening! In the future, I will "plan" my mission on litchi for something like that and it will show me the difference in altitude at the start/finish... A little off subject but hopefully helpful.

Bottom line, as you have now learned, review the crap out of your missions before you fly them...

Last edited:
Deep6, good advice. I honestly thought I was going to lose my drone for a few minutes, but the feels when your rc starts beeping for RTH, nothing like it on the planet.

Not judging, God forbid but wasn't that 25th point a little obvious on your mission planning? It kinda stands out.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I said the same thing! "How the frick did I miss that?!" I am using a 5s so the mission map was tiny but I was surprised i didn't see it when I saved the mission on my lappy.

Reactions: movius
This has happened to me but I've caught it before flying. One little touch on the screen and a new waypoint shows up. I've done it several times and I am more carefull now

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.