Making a Phantom 2 from a Phantom 1

Reaction score
I see there is no Phantom 1 forum so I'm posting my question here:

I have the original Phantom 1 with a Zenmuse H3-2D and the upgrade board. I’m interested are longer flight times and from what I've read the Phantom 2 delivers considerable longer flight times with the gimbal. Can I get the longer flight times by just purchasing the 9" props and higher capacity batteries? Or do I need to upgrade to motors as well, and get the Phantom 2 lower shell to be able to fit a larger battery? If it's just props and batteries I think I'll get them, but if I need new motors and a new shell I think I'll wait for the Phantom 3. If at all possible I would be extremely grateful if someone can provide links to the parts I would be needing. FYI... I'm not using any FPV equipment since my Phantom feels very heavy and the flight times are short as it is.

One last thing, have there been any flight time comparisons with the GoPro Hero Black vs the GoPro Hero+ Black. I'm wondering if the fact that the Hero+ draws something like 30% less power could have an impact. (Since the flight battery is "charging" the GoPro battery during flight).

Thanks in advance.

Boy have we got just the thing for you: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

Although the Phantom 2 battery won't fit or work in the P1, you can easily upgrade your flight times by just adding the P2 props and a standard 2700-2800mAh battery that will fit inside the P1, without going through all the hassle of a conversion like all the nuts in that thread ;)

OI Photography said:
Boy have we got just the thing for you: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

Although the Phantom 2 battery won't fit or work in the P1, you can easily upgrade your flight times by just adding the P2 props and a standard 2700-2800mAh battery that will fit inside the P1, without going through all the hassle of a conversion like all the nuts in that thread ;)
Sweet!!! Thanks! Do you have a recommendation for a 2700-2800mAh battery that fits inside the Phantom 1? Also, I have the original Phantom where the props are NOT self tightening. Will I be able to install the Phantom 2 props?

edit: I also forgot a very important question: Will the larger props fit in the GoProfessional case for the Phantom 1? I think I've seen pictures where the props are diagonal to the four corners of the case, and I'm not sure if by doing this the larger props will fit inside the case. Originally the case was designed to hold the props horizontally, not diagonal, which makes me think they might barely fit diagonally... Does anyone here know if they fit?

I just bought 2dogrc's Mad Dog 2700. On my stock fc40 the flight times have gone from 9-10 minutes to 11-12 minutes. They fit in the phantom fc40 / phantom 1 with no modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jermz said:
I just bought 2dogrc's Mad Dog 2700. On my stock fc40 the flight times have gone from 9-10 minutes to 11-12 minutes. They fit in the phantom fc40 / phantom 1 with no modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I'll back up Jermz' recommendation on the maddog 2700's, if you live where shipping on them is tolerable. If not, there's other options in the same size/capacity/weight class available in other parts of the globe.

What determines if you can use the P2 props isn't whether you have the P1 self-tightening props but whether your motors are cross-threaded. Do you have 2 black prop nuts and 2 silver? If so, you should be able to throw the P2 blades on right now.

OI Photography said:
I'll back up Jermz' recommendation on the maddog 2700's, if you live where shipping on them is tolerable. If not, there's other options in the same size/capacity/weight class available in other parts of the globe.

What determines if you can use the P2 props isn't whether you have the P1 self-tightening props but whether your motors are cross-threaded. Do you have 2 black prop nuts and 2 silver? If so, you should be able to throw the P2 blades on right now.
All nuts are silver. I believe they all tighten clockwise.

el cuajinais said:
OI Photography said:

All nuts are silver. I believe they all tighten clockwise.

Then you'll need to swap at least two of the motors to be able to use the P2 stock props. There's a non-self-tightening version of the p2 props now you can use though: http://1uas.com/DJI-Propeller-9-White-P ... uts-To-Fix

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers