Major JELLO at speed H3 2D

Reaction score
I'm getting some pretty bad jello at speed whilst using the white absorbers, i'll do some testing with the other absorbers. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet with their gimbal?

Have you got any video of it? I don't have a gimbal yet but all the anti jello mounts I have used tended to be too soft and cause the camera to vibrate at speed. Stiffening it up will generally help the high speed wobbles with those so it should be the same with the gimbal. Are the white ones the softest because I think it comes with or 3 sets of balls doesn't it?

It's my understanding from reading the documentation that the white gimbal buffers are the most flexible ones. You should try the gray (or for you you English folks 'grey') ones.

Regards,

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That video does show the typical mount shake I noticed with too soft an anti jello mount, its not really jello as jello is the warping of the video when its not shaking but from vibrations. Jello is caused by the rolling shutter of the cmos sensor and very small high frequency vibrations even in a stable hover. There has always been a tricky balance point I found with the vibration isolation mounts in the soft ones will kill the jello effect but have big issues with high speed flight or just strong wind blowing the camera around.

I have always tried to stiffen the mount as much as possible so I can do high speed flying without wobble but also remain jello free, also the props will have some effect here as soft flexible props will cause everything to shake at high load. Its a bit of a balancing act and id like to see your comparison using the different grommets provided as there have been quite a few videos posted using stock props at high speed without this mount wobble effect using this gimbal.

Using the other peoples examples it should not need any extreme mods on the mount just changing the grommets on the dji gimbal I think.

I took some more footage with the grey and black absorbers. Now I have a comparison of all absorbers. Seems that its between the grey and black, pretty hard to tell the difference. What do you think.

p.s if I posted in Australian slang then i'm sure you would not understand much. Lifes to short, we like to abbreviate ;) . Apologies for the genre specific music. Will appeal to some.

White, grey and black absorber testing video (white softest black hardest).

http://youtu.be/IqF65Pj5Ar0

Thats a good test, the only thing you would want to check is a basic hover in very bright light at 25 or 30p. This will show if there is any jello using the hardest grommets, I have not seen any jello from a phantom using the H3-D2 and even the stiffest grommets should eliminate that but its still worth a test. If its jello free with the hardest grommets I see little reason to use a softer one which will be more effected by strong winds and high speed flying.

First time I noticed it was when I came into land using the VGE carbon fiber mount, the grommets they used are very soft and the camera was swinging like a pendulum in a fairly strong cross wind in pretty much a hover.

boat chaser said:
I took some more footage with the grey and black absorbers. Now I have a comparison of all absorbers. Seems that its between the grey and black, pretty hard to tell the difference. What do you think.
Can't watch on the iPad :-( was wondering if you were out tonight, great sunset!

boat chaser said:
Martcerv informed me that it was camera shake due to really soft absorbers. Stiffer ones have done the trick. Onya martcerv! :)

No worries, glad to help. It does look like the DJI gimbal mount is quite well designed and deals with the camera motion better then the 2 anti jello mounts I have used when using the harder grommets. The should probably replace their stock gopro mount with one of these to mount a camera to even without a gimbal as it does handle the high speed flight much better then the other gimbals such as the cm2000 that uses a mount very similar to what I have.

For people not wanting a gimbal this would still be a great way to help get much more useaball gopro footage without needing 3rd party anti jello moutns that dont quite work as well as the DJI solution. I noticed the Tarot gimble uses a mount much closer to the DJI compared to all other gimbals that use the original VGE type design.

I got that mount sorted with some extra foam and rubber bands but it shows DJI were well aware of this issue and have provided the 3 sets of grommets so you don need to do I DIY mod to it so its useable at speed or in strong winds.

I am very happy with the performance now. Getting fatshark attitude fpv and upgrading transmitter next. I will be speaking with CASA soon regarding licencing for commercial use. I'll let you know what I hear.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4