Maintenance

Reaction score
Hi,
I've seen a couple of threads here and there that talk about routine maintenance, but nothing official from DJI. This strikes me as odd at least and a glaring hole at worst. Is there a place on this site where we can submit documents that can be kept up to date? Seems like having a general maintenance checklist would be of benefit to everyone. I'm sure there are other docs that would also be useful.
Thoughts?
Thanks ... Ed

Well I hear ya' but these are not durable goods. They're Chinese toys (despite the price).

There's not really any user serviceable parts and those which can be purchased require soldering which is not a widely held skill among 'average Joe & Jane' photographers.

The motor bearings are about the only wearing parts and the props are most likely subject to damages due to their exposure to 'elements'.

Keeping it clean, monitor post-flight motor temps., examine props, and maintain batteries is about all you can do.

Reactions: BigAl07
Keeping it clean, monitor post-flight motor temps., examine props, and maintain batteries is about all you can do.

Hundreds of flights and dozens of hours of flight time and that is all I do but I do it religiously and document it every month.

Yeah, I guess your right. A toy it is. Barbie dolls and baseball bats don't have maintenance manuals either... then again, they don't cost $1500!!!
Thanks ... Ed

Well I hear ya' but these are not durable goods. They're Chinese toys (despite the price).

There's not really any user serviceable parts and those which can be purchased require soldering which is not a widely held skill among 'average Joe & Jane' photographers.

The motor bearings are about the only wearing parts and the props are most likely subject to damages due to their exposure to 'elements'.

When you say "monitor post-flight motor temps", how so? Just if they seem too hot? If so, then what?
Thanks ... Ed

When you say "monitor post-flight motor temps", how so? Just if they seem too hot? If so, then what?
Thanks ... Ed

Yea, you'll develop a feel for 'normal' and then you want to make sure all are about the same. Some use fancy Lasers and stuff but it's up to you. Basically, heat equals work so if one is hotter than the others consistently it MAY be indicative of bearing wear or other friction.

This is rare and you can expect hundreds of hours from a BLDC motor.

Document it? Why and how?
Thanks ... Ed

Document it - Yes I keep detailed logs of maintenance and battery cycling.
Why - Because that's what I do and in case I have a problem I can demonstrate my maintenance records. Also with batteries you can often times see a "Trend" and do something about it before you have a failure.
How - I create a log that I fill out when I'm inspecting the aircraft or when I'm going through my battery inventory. I use Excel and keep it simple.

Back when this whole "Commercial" fiasco started at one point we were instructed to keep detailed logs etc.

I use happy drones for all my logging and they have a maintenance procedure. Pretty cool, I performed an AC check up this last weekend.

I use happy drones for all my logging and they have a maintenance procedure. Pretty cool, I performed an AC check up this last weekend.

By any chance are you talking about Healthy Drones instead of Happy?

Document it - Yes I keep detailed logs of maintenance and battery cycling.
Why - Because that's what I do and in case I have a problem I can demonstrate my maintenance records. Also with batteries you can often times see a "Trend" and do something about it before you have a failure.
How - I create a log that I fill out when I'm inspecting the aircraft or when I'm going through my battery inventory. I use Excel and keep it simple.

Back when this whole "Commercial" fiasco started at one point we were instructed to keep detailed logs etc.

Probably a good idea.
BTW, Commercial fiasco?
Thanks ... Ed

Probably a good idea.
BTW, Commercial fiasco?
Thanks ... Ed
Commercial fiasco
Requiring Commercial Drone Operations to keep the same type of records and logs as Manned Aircraft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic