Magnetic Declination Problem

Reaction score
Possibly been discussed previously but I though worth mentioning, especially after my test of the new GS App this morning.

See the below document that provides a very good description of this issue. The problem is very noticeable here in Auckland, and will be less so on the West Coast of the USA, even less in the Mid-West. Most of Western Europe probably not effected (see map on document to check your area).

http://www.ianwood.com/docs/dji-phantom ... nation.pdf

I tested the App this morning and it works fine. However the declination problem toilet bowling was quite extreme after launch, and she moved in some very wide arcs (~10m radius) until the Naza got a handle on things. Quite risky if there are any obstacles around.

Note that the learning curve for the Naza can be shortened considerably of you manually maintain a fixed point hover after launch for about a minute (whether you are planning to fly autonomously or manually).

All credit to Ian Wood for posting the explanation. None to DJI for not bothering to fix it.

wharfbanger said:
I tested the App this morning and it works fine. However the declination problem toilet bowling was quite extreme after launch, and she moved in some very wide arcs (~10m radius) until the Naza got a handle on things. Quite risky if there are any obstacles around.
I see the same here in northern Alberta Canada. I use Android and the map in the app is oriented about 23 degrees off true north when in unlocked compass mode. They just don't seem to know how to correct anything for the declination since the Phantom 1. The guy that did the firmware for that must have quit or died or something.

Andy T said:
wharfbanger said:
I see the same here in northern Alberta Canada. I use Android and the map in the app is oriented about 23 degrees off true north when in unlocked compass mode. They just don't seem to know how to correct anything for the declination since the Phantom 1. The guy that did the firmware for that must have quit or died or something.

Had the same issue here on the east coast Canada, it is quite extreme until the Phantom settles down.
First time I used the Ground Station app it was scary to see it hunt all over the place and not having any control (unless abort).
We need a fix a.s.a.p, (know that some talk about an update) but need it fast.

After you have enter all of your way points and when you are about to hit "Go".

Do this:

1. Start engine.
2. Fly straight up until you have clear the highest point near by.
3. Manually set new Home Point (toggle S2 switch). Verify Home is set.

Press "Go"

I find P2V+ become MUCH more stable when I do this compare to taking off from ground.

yawnalot29 said:
After you have enter all of your way points and when you are about to hit "Go".

Do this:

1. Start engine.
2. Fly straight up until you have clear the highest point near by.
3. Manually set new Home Point (toggle S2 switch). Verify Home is set.

Press "Go"

I find P2V+ become MUCH more stable when I do this compare to taking off from ground.

Have done this, but it does not change the fact that Magnetic Declination is a huge issue and has to be addressed. Your proposal even if well meant is not the cure.

cougar said:
Have done this, but it does not change the fact that Magnetic Declination is a huge issue and has to be addressed. Your proposal even if well meant is not the cure.

I always find these kind of retort funny. Here's why:

What are you going to do between now and when it's addressed?

And you are telling me this is "unacceptable" because I am the Head QC from DJI?

Are you saying what you are saying because you won't event do that IN THE MEAN TIME until DJI fix it? If so, good for you. If not, what's your point? Are you looking for me to tell DJI? IF so I would suggest you call them direct and continue to call them every 2 days.

Anyway, use it, don't use it, I don't care. It's a practical solution that can be done now in my opinion.

Peace out, from someone who lives in Southern California that's not experiencing this problem and couldn't give a **** if it's fix.

yawnalot29 said:
cougar said:

And you are telling me this is "unacceptable" because I am the Head QC from DJI?

Are you saying what you are saying because you won't event do that IN THE MEAN TIME until DJI fix it? If so, good for you. If not, what's your point? Are you looking for me to tell DJI? IF so I would suggest you call them direct and continue to call them every 2 days.

Anyway, use it, don't use it, I don't care. It's a practical solution that can be done now in my opinion.

Peace out, from someone who lives in Southern California that's not experiencing this problem and couldn't give a **** if it's fix.

+1

That made me laugh :lol:

Andy T said:
wharfbanger said:

I think he took a job with a better company, not wanting to see his reputation trashed with the rest of DJI... lol

yawnalot29 said:
cougar said:

Find your cavalier response to a real problem somewhat immature. I congratulate you for not having this issue but for people that do it is not funny.

It effects all my flying and only way to abate is to keep compensate with the sticks until the phantom settles down. It renders the GS almost redundant since it takes 5-10 minutes until the symptoms calms down and just for the record I have/are in contact with DJI China (that has been responding) and also confirmed the problem and that testing is underway.

Quote:
Hi,

The R&D department is testing the new firmware for magnetic declination. But I can not tell this is the exact issue of these two phantoms.
May I know what is your exact location?
Do you have a chance to test it in another place? Or please send it back to DJI repair center for testing.

Thanks&Best regards,

DJI Tech-support

cougar said:
Find your cavalier response to a real problem somewhat immature. I congratulate you for not having this issue but for people that do it is not funny.

It effects all my flying and only way to abate is to keep compensate with the sticks until the phantom settles down. It renders the GS almost redundant since it takes 5-10 minutes until the symptoms calms down and just for the record I have/are in contact with DJI China (that has been responding) and also confirmed the problem and that testing is underway.

Find your thoughtless response to a potential stopgap somewhat moronic and ungrateful. I congratulate you for able to get to DJI for looking into it but for people that do not, they couldn't be bother judging by the responds and interest you get on this thread.

As for the rest of your complain, let me find you some wine and get myself world's smallest violin to go with your first world problem. I had sympathy for you, but I guess you do deserve what you get. :)

Perhaps next time you should just say "Oh hey, I'll give that a try. I still think DJI should fix this defect's root cause and not relying on customers having work-around". You might garner more sympathy an more people willing to help. One look at this thread and others would be turn off to spit ball ideas with you. I mean if that's how you are going to respond to people who offer to spit ball ideas with you when they have no reason to, why should they?

Have fun with your defective P2V+. Maybe you should send it back in for repair? :)

yawnalot29 said:
cougar said:

Find your thoughtless response to a potential stopgap somewhat moronic and ungrateful. I congratulate you for able to get to DJI for looking into it but for people that do not, they couldn't be bother judging by the responds and interest you get on this thread.

As for the rest of your complain, let me find you some wine and get myself world's smallest violin to go with your first world problem. I had sympathy for you, but I guess you do deserve what you get. :)

Perhaps next time you should just say "Oh hey, I'll give that a try. I still think DJI should fix this defect's root cause and not relying on customers having work-around". You might garner more sympathy an more people willing to help. One look at this thread and others would be turn off to spit ball ideas with you. I mean if that's how you are going to respond to people who offer to spit ball ideas with you when they have no reason to, why should they?

Have fun with your defective P2V+. Maybe you should send it back in for repair? :)

DOA

For everyone else (not cougar as I wouldn't want him to be a hypocrite on top of being ungrateful and moronic)

Even if you are not doing ground station, it is still a good procedure to follow because:

1. It ensures the quad gets more sat reception. I typically get 6 on the ground and 13 at 100 feet up.
2. It ensures the quad has minimum height to avoid collision with near by tall objects on its way to way point 1.
3. Saves you from having the need to have a way point above your head.
4. It ensures your RTH and FailSafe can be executed without worry it might run into objects in between unexpectedly.

If you are flying in an absolute open field with no tree then I guess it won't have any additional benefit.

yawnalot29 said:
For everyone else (not cougar as I wouldn't want him to be a hypocrite on top of being ungrateful and moronic)

Even if you are not doing ground station, it is still a good procedure to follow because:

1. It ensures the quad gets more sat reception. I typically get 6 on the ground and 13 at 100 feet up.
2. It ensures the quad has minimum height to avoid collision with near by tall objects on its way to way point 1.
3. Saves you from having the need to have a way point above your head.
4. It ensures your RTH and FailSafe can be executed without worry it might run into objects in between unexpectedly.

If you are flying in an absolute open field with no tree then I guess it won't have any additional benefit.

The advice you are giving here is great, however we where discussing the effects of Magnetic Declination hence my response.

As I re-read Post #1, the issue is the ~10m toilet bowl effect caused by magnetic declination.

Move the bird out of the way of any obstruction before hitting "Go".

Not a SOLUTION, but a WORK-AROUND.

Anything short of a fix by DJI is a work around. The only question is "is the work-around good enough for the mean time". Surely you weren't expecting someone here to offer you a fix that they reverse compile the firmware, code it up, and compile it and now will provide you instruction on how to do a manual firmware update were you?

So assume for a minute that you are just ungrateful and not moronic, I assume you weren't expecting people on this forum to FIX it for you except to offer up "WORK-AROUND" while DJI pursuit resolution?

So how is that not relevant? I believe I was on topic. Anyway, it is clear that you are not looking for help other then to vent. So I am sorry that I have help YOU. It won't happen again.

yawnalot29 said:
As I re-read Post #1, the issue is the ~10m toilet bowl effect caused by magnetic declination.

Move the bird out of the way of any obstruction before hitting "Go".

Not a SOLUTION, but a WORK-AROUND.

Anything short of a fix by DJI is a work around. The only question is "is the work-around good enough for the mean time". Surely you weren't expecting someone here to offer you a fix that they reverse compile the firmware, code it up, and compile it and now will provide you instruction on how to do a manual firmware update were you?

So assume for a minute that you are just ungrateful and not moronic, I assume you weren't expecting people on this forum to FIX it for you except to offer up "WORK-AROUND" while DJI pursuit resolution?

So how is that not relevant? I believe I was on topic. Anyway, it is clear that you are not looking for help other then to vent. So I am sorry that I have help YOU. It won't happen again.

Was not looking for a solution from anyone, just their own experiences with this problem, based on geographic locations.
Your suggestions are sound, but have no effect on the problem as far as I can tell.
Not trying to pick a fight or offend anybody just getting information from other affected people to this problem. After all this is what we do here, help each other. But you do not seem to have any problem with the issue at hand, but many do.

cougar said:
Was not looking for a solution from anyone, just their own experiences with this problem, based on geographic locations.
Your suggestions are sound, but have no effect on the problem as far as I can tell.
Not trying to pick a fight or offend anybody just getting information from other affected people to this problem. After all this is what we do here, help each other. But you do not seem to have any problem with the issue at hand, but many do.

The original work-around I proposed is easiest. You still get the toilet bowl effect, but you don't get the negative impact of running into things. AT the end of the day, if your concern with toilet bowl effect is colliding into things, that's the easiest fix. As I can't see people trying to do serious videography with Waypoints since it does not allow you to pause (except manual)) or yaw for good shots.

There is another work-around that may compensate for the toilet bowl effect. You will need to fire up your Assistant Software. Or better yet, bring a laptop with Assistant software to field.

Read this thread as I experience this problem. Have to admit the bickering sounds like what probably goes on in congress. We can do better, I have faith.

It happens a lot.

I wish the moderators would issue warnings or something.

Must be some primal instinct to deliver the 'one upper'.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers