Mad Dog 2700 mAH 11.1v 25c batt

Reaction score
I just purchased a couple of these and all I can say is wow...

They fit snuggly in Phantom but compared to OE Phantom 2200 and Turnigy 2200's - I went from 7.5mins to almost 12 mins (that's with FPV, gimbal & aftermarket landing gear - close to 1280 gms)

http://www.2dogrc.com/mad-dog-2700-mah- ... -xt60.html

The maddogs are really great, true rated 2700 batteries. Probably the best single-battery "no modification" solution for the Phantom currently available.

Any weight difference?

I have 2 zippys (2200-35c) for a dual battery set up I am working on (untested as yet on time but a proven mount) and I wanted a second set of matched batteries come summer time for when I take the Phantom on road trips- I can pre-charge the cells an all that jazz... I know the mA's are higher, but are they heavier? What is the torque like (I can see rated- looking for anecdotal info)

Hiway said:
Any weight difference?

I have 2 zippys (2200-35c) for a dual battery set up I am working on (untested as yet on time but a proven mount) and I wanted a second set of matched batteries come summer time for when I take the Phantom on road trips- I can pre-charge the cells an all that jazz... I know the mA's are higher, but are they heavier? What is the torque like (I can see rated- looking for anecdotal info)

Maddogs are bigger and heavier than stock 2200s because they're true rates. They're about 202g, compared to 170 for a DJI 2200. The c-rating seems conservative too, as they work great in heavier multis like 450s and x8-phantoms.

ElGuano said:
Hiway said:
Any weight difference?

Maddogs are bigger and heavier than stock 2200s because they're true rates. They're about 202g, compared to 170 for a DJI 2200. The c-rating seems conservative too, as they work great in heavier multis like 450s and x8-phantoms.

Much obliged @ ElGuano- (also appreciate the active participation and generosity with all of your input here- there is a knack to gleaning valuable info in online forums, and finding the core group of knowledgeable enthusiasts who share is the first chore- you are a go to source for this lurker)

WOW that is a Huge Improvement for just 500 extra ma. I will have to order a set and try them. Does anyone fly these in pairs?

OLP I noticed that you have a number on your phantom is this just for tracking or for pairing while flying dual battery?

I am sold- my landing gear will hold these easily- I just need to find the black colored velcro straps to match and I am set. I will use dual mad dogs... hell, I love the way that sounds.

*bow-wow-wow-yippee-yo-yippee-yay

bow-wow-yippee-yo-yippee-yay...

Sorry I had to finish it. WHOOP to the dual MAD DOGS.

What Gear are you using that they will fit?

BallisticPhantom said:
WOW that is a Huge Improvement for just 500 extra ma. I will have to order a set and try them. Does anyone fly these in pairs?

OLP I noticed that you have a number on your phantom is this just for tracking or for pairing while flying dual battery?

The number on the battery? That's just to help me keep them straight, I try to use/charge them in order. It's also force of habit mostly, one of the first things I learned in photography years ago was to number my batteries :)

Reactions: sousa809
7.5 to 12min is a huge jump, a little bit higher than I'd expect. My guess is there's something else involved here (lower discharge rating on the 2200s causing earlier naza alarms?); it'd be good to know the immediate and 5-min unloaded voltages for each battery after flight.

There are a few people running dual maddogs, and they perform very well. 18-20 minute flight times @ ~1350g I think. Probably a bit more with good 9" props. I'm holding off on the dual-2700s myself because I'm already in the 18+ minute range and it's longer than I need/want to fly at a time, and also because it requires more extensive cutting of the shell to fit two inside! If I get the hankering to try to hit the p2v's flight times (or p2 if that's really impressive as well) then this will be the easiest way to do it.

i have these, havent accurately timed them but yes they are a huge improvement. I have the vision props but havent put them on yet. I want to see what kind of times people get with vision props and mad dogs. After I get a few more accurate readings on the mad dogs I will try, carbon fiber props, and then vision props and post all my times

I have received 2 of those batteries today in Canada, ordered from States. The brokerage fee amount to a value similar of one battery but it look like it's worth it.

Anyone knows where I can find those in Canada?

Also, the legal & security warnings coming with those LiPo state that we shouldn't store them at more than 60% charge. Is this true and a general recommendation for all LiPo batteries? I always recharge them after use (after may be an hour or two to let them properly cool) so they are ready for the next time. Is this a bad habit? If yes, is it a matter of risk or wearing them prematurely?

Thanks,

Maher

maher said:
Also, the legal & security warnings coming with those LiPo state that we shouldn't store them at more than 60% charge. Is this true and a general recommendation for all LiPo batteries? I always recharge them after use (after may be an hour or two to let them properly cool) so they are ready for the next time. Is this a bad habit? If yes, is it a matter of risk or wearing them prematurely?

Thanks,

Maher

Absolutely true. If you fly every day, it doesn't matter if you keep them fully charged. But if not, it is generally best not to store them fully charged. It's a huge pain, but for me that means leaving them at ~11.1v and charging the night before or day of flying. Smart chargers will have an option to charge your batteries to storage voltage, but I just discharge in flight most of the time.

ElGuano said:
Absolutely true. If you fly every day, it doesn't matter if you keep them fully charged. But if not, it is generally best not to store them fully charged. It's a huge pain, but for me that means leaving them at ~11.1v and charging the night before or day of flying. Smart chargers will have an option to charge your batteries to storage voltage, but I just discharge in flight most of the time.

Thanks ElGuano

I only have the DJI standard charger, should I stop charging them for storage when the red LED/green LED sequence start?

And what are the drawback to leave the battery discharged (red LED continuously blinking on the Phantom) for storage? Did it shorten the life expectancy of the LiPo cells?

Maher

maher said:
Thanks ElGuano

I only have the DJI standard charger, should I stop charging them for storage when the red LED/green LED sequence start?

And what are the drawback to leave the battery discharged (red LED continuously blinking on the Phantom) for storage? Did it shorten the life expectancy of the LiPo cells?

Maher

I think you'll find advice varies on this. I don't recall what red-green means on the Phantom charger, but I take the laissez-faire approach of "anything under 50%." I typically discharge my batteries down to 15-20%, which puts me at 3.7-3.75v per cell resting (~11.1v total), and I'm happy storing them at that level--essentially empty from a healthy cutoff perspective. My batteries don't sit around long enough for it to *really* matter I suspect.

You don't want to store them full, and you don't want to completely empty them (drain them past 90% for instance, or something like 3.5v resting) because either will shorten the life of the cells.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav