MAC User / Parallels / Firmware Update

Reaction score
I'm a MAC guy and it has been recommended that I try running Parallels to be able to run the firmware updates DJI released last week. I have downloaded the 2 week trial of Parallels with Windows 8.1 PREVIEW. I then have downloaded and Ran the appropriate DRIVER (Win 8) and both the RC Assistant Software and the PV Assistant Software. In theory I am ready to start the process of updating the firmware.

Using this site and a YT link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpwoFtPKXes) which is in GERMAN but easy to follow along, I feel good about completing the process....if I could :-(

However, the downloaded software doesn't recognize that my PV or RC is plugged in when it clearly is. Both the RC and PV is turned on and running. Further more, when I RAN the Win 8 Driver, it fails to complete the install process. Says "it fails to recognize a device that needs updating". I think this is the real issue. Any thoughts? Does anyone think the Win 8 PREVIEW (NOT A FULL VERSION OF WIN 8) has anything to do with it?

Am now downloading a full version of WIN 7 and will try running that way. Any suggestions / pointers would be appreciated. Other than getting a PC. UGHHHHH!

Thanks in advance.

The last part of the VMWare installation, is VMWare tools, that I think it does after Windows is installed.

It takes a little while, or did on my older iMac, but this is the part for the USB connections, so just
let it run until it says it is finished.

You can get it to mirror your Documents, Downloads etc, so they always show on both machines
without flicking back and forth.

Been using it for years, as the Embroidery software I use for work will only run on Windows.

Dave

or virtualbox that is good enough and free ;-)

but you always have the chance to use bootcamp, so windows will have all mac just for him
and in some firmware updates I saw this is more solid approach

Sorry for the complete PC ignoramus here (been using Macs only for 20 years...) but...

Do I understand correctly that the easiest way to get the firmware and software updated on my PV2 is to download and install something called "VirtualBox"? Running that will make my Mac think it's a PC and then I should be able to double-click on the .exe file from the DJI website?

Or do I need to also download Windows for this to work?

Thank you.

as I said,
in my opinion the most stable way to run windows on a mac for firmware updates, is using osx bootcamp (you need a windows cd of course)

basically bootcamp reserve one part of the mac hard drive (i use 30gb) then after installation, when you powerup the mac, you keep pressed the ALT button on keyboard and the mac ask you if you want to start bootcamp windows or you want to start osx

this method has one downside, that you have to reboot back ond forth from osx to windows and back

virtualbox / parallels / wmware instead can virtualize one part of your mac hardware so when you run is you will have one windows running inside a osx window and windows will think to be running on a pc ;)

most of the time, virtualized windows work very well even for delicate things like firmware upgrades, but sometime not

up to you the choice :)

I just got windows 7 running on my mac for the first time ever having windows! (On a computer that I owned)

I downloaded virtualbox for free then ordered windows 7 off amazon. I am nowhere near a tech whiz, and it took me under an hour to have windows loading onto my macbook. Bootcamp probably works great too. I just had testimony from a forum member here that VB worked for him for the update and so I went with that as I knew it worked. Best of luck to you, and may Chinese companies please start recognizing Mac OS!

Thank you very much urgno and whitewatersalvo. Great info!

So, I have to actually BUY Windows ??? That is embarrassing ! ;-)

I think the difficulty of doing this firmware update is definitely a black mark on DJI. A shame really bc everything else is really first class so far.

Now is there a way to simply CHECK which version of the firmware I have without going through this whole song and dance? I looked in the iPhone app but that seems to be strictly for the camera.

Bo

There is a website called modern.ie. From there I followed the link to download Virtualbox. I also downloaded a free 90 day evaluation version of Windows 7 that allowed me to install the DJI software and upgrade the PV. It took a bit of time to get everything working (the biggest challenge was to get the Windows VM to recognize the PV connected via USB but it was definitely worth avoiding buying a Windows license.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl