Mac Software is an improvement!

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've now tried the Mac software with my Phantom Vision and it's definitely an improvement over Windows. No drivers to install, cleaner look, easier layout visually, etc. It connects very quickly.

Two recommendations for improvement if the folks at DJI are reading:

1) Incorporate the transmitter into the same software... as I understand, there isn't Mac software for the transmitter yet.
2) On the upgrade page, some items say "no upgrade" while others show the version number and allow you to upgrade, even if it's the same version you already have; which is slightly confusing.

oh, one other thing... when installing the Mac software, OSX warns that this software is not validated and it doesn't really want you to install it. You can do it anyhow, which I did... but upon further thought, I wonder if this presents a security risk. DJI should get this software approved by Apple so we can feel a bit more secure.

thoughts?

race3 said:
oh, one other thing... when installing the Mac software, OSX warns that this software is not validated and it doesn't really want you to install it. You can do it anyhow, which I did... but upon further thought, I wonder if this presents a security risk. DJI should get this software approved by Apple so we can feel a bit more secure.

thoughts?

They just need to buy the $99 Apple Developer account and sign the application with the key. Don't need to get approval unless you plan to sell it on the appstore.

I agree. I really wish they would get the transmitter update available for the Mac. The Mac software is so much easier to use than the Windows version. It is a real pain to download the driver, then the app, then check the firmware/software, etc. In my case I had to go through all that just to find out I had the most recent transmitter firmware already installed. But other than that, I love my P2V!

jengo said:
race3 said:

thoughts?

They just need to buy the $99 Apple Developer account and sign the application with the key. Don't need to get approval unless you plan to sell it on the appstore.

App store stuff has been found with malware in it...

I Just tried the MAC assistant for the first time and cannot login. It is asking for a login to do anything and telling me I need to upgrade the main controller firmware but when I supply known good credentials it just closes the login box and that is it. Still not logged in-please login first comes back.... :?

Anyone else seen this? Surely I am not missing something obvious. App has firewall privileges etc..... :?:

I tried using the Mac software on my iMac a week ago and couldn't get it to work.

1. It doesn't recognize that the controller is plugged in, when it is.

2. When I plugged in the Phantom it said that there was a firmware mismatch with the controller
and I had to update that first.

I'm a Mac guy, so it really bugged me that I had to take the Phantom, controller and all cords
into work and use my work PC to do all the upgrades, on top of which the Windows method
worked without any problems.

El Rey said:
I tried using the Mac software on my iMac a week ago and couldn't get it to work.

1. It doesn't recognize that the controller is plugged in, when it is.

2. When I plugged in the Phantom it said that there was a firmware mismatch with the controller
and I had to update that first.

I'm a Mac guy, so it really bugged me that I had to take the Phantom, controller and all cords
into work and use my work PC to do all the upgrades, on top of which the Windows method
worked without any problems.

the transmitter still needs to use windows for the update. but the phantom can be updated with the Mac. yes, it's stupid they didn't update the transmitter software as well... but hopefully that's coming or will just be integrated into one software package.

[/quote] the transmitter still needs to use windows for the update. but the phantom can be updated with the Mac. yes, it's stupid they didn't update the transmitter software as well... but hopefully that's coming or will just be integrated into one software package.[/quote]

Ah-ha. Thanks for the tip - now I understand.

siboneyisland said:
[
I Just tried the MAC assistant for the first time and cannot login. It is asking for a login to do anything and telling me I need to upgrade the main controller firmware but when I supply known good credentials it just closes the login box and that is it. Still not logged in-please login first comes back.... :?

Anyone else seen this? Surely I am not missing something obvious. App has firewall privileges etc..... :?:
I'm running into this; just for grins I launched the Windows version and ended up in the same place. The only difference is that the Windows version actually displays an error message (saying something along the lines of an account or password mismatch) whereas the Mac version just puts the login box back up.

Just unboxed my P2V and am trying to get it set up for the first time. I gave the credentials I used to log into the DJI website (which also works on the iPhone app) but it complains. So for fun I pressed the "forgot" button, which led me to a web page (at dji-innovations.com rather than dji.com, FWIW); when I entered the email address, it said that there was no such account. So I went back to the Assistant and pressed the "register" button, where I supposedly created a new account, but I still couldn't log in, and when I pressed "forget" again it still said that the account didn't exist (even though I supposedly just created it).

So can anyone explain what credentials do work with the Assistant, and how you managed to set them up? Or can someone launch their Assistant and see if they can successfully log in, on the off chance that there's some kind of server issue at DJI?

Thanks...

Don't worry about the login issues... you don't need them to run the software and apparently the whole login "feature" was disabled anyway. Just hit "Cancel" and use the App normally.

drjay32 said:
Don't worry about the login issues... you don't need them to run the software and apparently the whole login "feature" was disabled anyway. Just hit "Cancel" and use the App normally.
I was unable to get anywhere hitting Cancel--just an error message that said I had to update the controller firmware.

But then I copped a clue from someone else struggling with the same issue, and registered (within the updater app) with a different email address and it all started working. I'm guessing some back-end server issue was messing it up.

I too have this problem. I've registered with 2 email addresses - first through the website and subsequently by hitting the link on the app itself. Neither works. I can't update either through OSX or Windows. I've tried updating the transmitter (by taking the dam thing apart - AWFUL design) and it appeared to be up to date. DJI support number is a joke - recorded message stating "busy on other calls". Very frustrated - which is a shame as I was grinning from ear to ear the first 24 hours after my first flight.

dkatz42 said:
I was unable to get anywhere hitting Cancel--just an error message that said I had to update the controller firmware.

But then I copped a clue from someone else struggling with the same issue, and registered (within the updater app) with a different email address and it all started working. I'm guessing some back-end server issue was messing it up.

Yup that works! Thanks dkatz42 :D

Does anyone know if it is detrimental to alternate between Mac and PC as your platform for upgrading the P2V?
I have a Mac at home and a PC in my studio - and wonder if I can use either one whenever convenient,
without causing any weird behavior in my little aerial buddy.

El Rey said:
Does anyone know if it is detrimental to alternate between Mac and PC as your platform for upgrading the P2V?
I have a Mac at home and a PC in my studio - and wonder if I can use either one whenever convenient,
I've used both. Shouldn't matter.

As an update to my previous post, I just registered again (a third time, using a third email address) and it worked. Just for reference here's my experience:

Attempt 1: Registered through website using Chrome browser on OSX -> FAIL (I can log in through website and the iOS app but not the assistant software)
Attempt 2: Registered by clicking register link on app using Chrome browser on OSX -> FAIL
Attempt 3: Registered by copying register link from app into Safari on OSX -> SUCCESS

So I don't know if this is a browser problem or just a random problem on DJI's server (more likely) - but, as per previous posts, keep trying and you might get lucky.

Dan.

danvet said:
So I don't know if this is a browser problem or just a random problem on DJI's server (more likely) - but, as per previous posts, keep trying and you might get lucky.
The key seems to be to register through the app (which takes you to a different server than the normal web site). My guess is that there is some issue in how the databases link up (if at all).

dkatz42 said:
El Rey said:
I've used both. Shouldn't matter.

Thanks man.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20