lybster caithness

Once again, a lovely video Toorboy. Pity you didn't show a little of the termination of the old Wick & Lybster railway though.

Have you ever stopped off at Badbea, just N of Helmsdale? It's a ruined Clearance village that I visited about 8 years ago.

hi Whitwellian thanks man :) iv never heard of badbea?
I am hoping to get back up that way in two months time if I can save enough coin
I will have a look at that location on google maps cheers buddy :)

Eyup Toorboy!!

Glad i'm sparking some interest in Caithness history in you (and me a Derbyshire lad!!)

Parking is at ND 085 204 and the monument is at ND 089 201. The ruined cottages stretch parallel to the cliffs either side.

You'll notice that some of the info on the boards came from a place not 3 mile from where I'm sitting - Welbeck Estates.

Another place with Clearance connections is Croick (NH 457 915). That's a church where the people cleared out from Strathnaver by the Duke of Sutherland went to shelter & put various inscriptions on the church window - they weren't allowed inside because the Minister was paid for by the Duke. It's the Croick about 8mile (as the crow flies) west of Ardgay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav