Lufthansa jet and drone nearly collide near LAX

Jet at 5000'- "drone" 200' above....
Yeah right.

Reactions: Temblor and JBG
I doubt that pilot is reading this forum right now.
Me looking now GoodnNuff ...might be .
tumblr_m9e904iVpx1rvc1g2.gif
..Nope,don't see em.

Once upon a time these were reported as UFOs.
The FAA database is full of these.
Highly unlikely to be a recreational drone at all but it suits the FAA and the press to have something to squawk about.

Reactions: Temblor
How fast is an a380 on approach? 400mph? A quad would be a spec. Kinda like a fly buzzing past your car on the interstate. The timing is odd too- this near-miss happens days after the reports about damages of quad/plane strikes. Scare tactics.

I have a friend who has a mapping/survey business and uses a Lockheed Martin drone. He has a 50 minute flight time (with a payload) and can easily fly at that altitude. And is far more visible than a white Phantom too. I know he is here in Seattle today however, so not him.

I'm not buying this yet. Statistically it is highly unlikely. We'll see what really happened long after the media has moved on but the politicians use this as another example of why WE MUST BAN DRONES NOW. Sen. Feinstein already put out some ridiculous comment about how these "near misses" are totally unacceptable.

How fast is an a380 on approach? 400mph? A quad would be a spec. Kinda like a fly buzzing past your car on the interstate. The timing is odd too- this near-miss happens days after the reports about damages of quad/plane strikes. Scare tactics.
I'm gonna guess-timate that an A380 at 5,000 at that point in the approach is doing about 210-220 kts.

I'm gonna guess-timate that an A380 at 5,000 at that point in the approach is doing about 210-220 kts.

Aircraft are limited to 250Kts below 10,000ft MSL, so the A380 was probably doing around 230. To see ANYTHING the size of a drone at that speed and altitude is highly unlikely. Sen. Feinstein's solution is more laws and rules. Don't we already have a 400 ft and 5 mile rule? The airliner was 14 miles from LAX.

More rules won't solve a perceived problem, people!

I'm not an airplane glider pilot. I fly my quad P3P. Do you think a person can catch a thermal with his large airplane glider and reach 5000 feet? Maybe the pilots sighting was a large bird.

Utter utter BS ! Every week it's the same old story. Near miss at so many feet . These pilots have amazing vision/distance perception and 200mph. And at 5000ft too....... Stinks !

Utter utter BS ! Every week it's the same old story. Near miss at so many feet . These pilots have amazing vision/distance perception and 200mph. And at 5000ft too....... Stinks !
Yeah, hard to believe it was a quad copter. 5200 feet? Really? That's a record if so!

Reactions: Tommymonkey
Article made no mention of configuration, size, color, etc.

Did you assume and just 'fill in the gaps'?

Imagine a world were if you can't believe or otherwise see how something is possible... it's not true.
This is the Logical Fallacy "Argument from incredulity".

Too bad 'Mythbusters' is over.

Surely someone will find a method to finance and test this visibility issue and try to make some scientific determinations.
Various closing or passing speeds, size, color, and config. of drone, vertical/horizontal separation, lighting, crew task level, etc.

It won't convince all but may provide some perspective as to what is and isn't possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers