lucky crash but what happened ?

Reaction score
so as a rookie with the P4P, I wanted to try out the waypoint flight mode this past weekend. It seemed to be going well as I was just marking waypoints. just kind of testing things. So when I decided to bring the bird home, all seemed to be going well, as I was descending closer to my home point about 26' in altitude , all of a sudden the P4P just started going in a direction towards a large white pine tree, I could not control it at all. it landed in that tree, very lucky it happened to get caught on its branches, so it did not fall and hit the ground. broke 2 propellers only. so very lucky. I uploaded flight log to phantomhelp.com. Can someone take a look and maybe see what occurred? or have an explanation? thank you
there was a warning earlier that the right/left VPS was unavailable. but don't think it was that.

Please post a link to your log here.

It looks like your Phantom was still trying to fly a waypoint mission up until the point where it crashed. What does your waypoint mission look like?

It appears to be a message that only pops up sometimes when flying waypoint missions. You can find some people talking about it in various threads on Google, but nobody seems to know what it means.

Thanks Msinger. Like I said I was trying to learn how to use that flight mode. I have thought that maybe it tried to go to next waypoint as I was trying to land it. Not sure? It certainly will make me nervous if I attempt to try this again And if I do, I will be in a larger open area. Lol. I also could not find much on the Altitude limited mode either.

I have thought that maybe it tried to go to next waypoint as I was trying to land it. Not sure?
Were there additional waypoints? If so, your Phantom would have kept flying the mission since you did not cancel it.

I don’t think so Msinger. I marked 3 waypoints and then flew it home. So another words . I was not flying a waypoint mission , rather marking waypoints.

It’s apparent that I do not know how to properly use that flight mode. Need to learn more about it before next attempt.

At 544 seconds into your flight, your log shows the following message:

"Waypoint Mission Started__Return-to-Home Altitude:246ft"

And then it shows your Phantom started flying when the remote controller sticks were in the center position.

I suggest you buy and try Litchi for way-point missions. It's way better than DJI's way-point capability, which I believe they created just to say they support way-point missions. Ever since they released it I haven't seen any refinements or improvements (am I wrong??). DJI's way-point support is lame IMO.

msinger, That may explain why the Phantom did not land but rather headed off without my control. when I think of this further and looking at the map. I am noticing that the phantom flew in the direction of the 1st waypoint I had marked. I really appreciate you all checking this out for me. I have much to learn and love this forum, very thankful for folks like you that are willing to help. Thank you !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr