Luckiest P3P flyer

Reaction score
So our safety guy at work asked me if I could take the drone up to capture the site for him to create a traffic plan, yes no problem I said. So checked the battery and it was on 3 lights, that's enough I thought for what we need. Then set it up ready to go, all checks done locked onto 16 satellites and green light on. Up we go and head down our yard to back of our site, which is about 300 metres away. Then the controller started bleeping and the drone started to descend NO I shouted! Tried to bring it back up as I could just about see it, she the lost signal and disappeared!! We then went and had a look for it, walking all through the woods thinking it must be up in a tree, I thought we are never going to get it back. Just about to give up and though we will check the field that is further on from our site. So I went into the field having a look when suddenly the drone connected to the handset and the picture came back and the battery was on critical! I thought that looks like she is in the grass somewhere, I then decided to see if she would start up, and IT DID! I pushed the up lever and she went. I then look to see if I could see it, and there she was right at the end of the field by a patch of trees. I flew her back to a very relieved flyer. Things I have learned, make sure your batteries are always full before flying [emoji1]

Reactions: deltamike
As soon as as read that you had 3 lights on the battery I thought, there's the problem. This has been talked about many, many times. Never start a flight without a FULLY CHARGED battery. There are just too many variables to risk it otherwise.
Glad you came out ok.

And never start auto take off in gusty wind to close to hedges or fences.
i did that yesterday and the wind blew it back into the hedge before it had time to steady itself.everything fine nothing broken.i just had to change my underwear :)

All good advice. I always start with full battery, sometimes land and switch to Litchi and off again but that is OK I think.

Lessons learnt ... we all do it.

Nigel

One of the problems I think is that many people buy and use ... unlike a few who do investigate before.

I'm in a job that can potentially kill not only myself - but many around ... so its ingrained to get manuals and read up. I search info as well and I am highly critical of info / whats happening while engaged. OK - yes I know I had a serious lapse with my P3S .... one I sincerely regret. But it prompted me after reading incidents of lost AC to use my misfortune to maybe benefit others.

N igel

As others have said, the instant I read "three lights" I knew where the story was headed. Most times its followed by something like, "I was only planning a short flight.." Thankfully, this time the story had a happy ending.

Even though we've heard similar stories too many times to count, it's one of those things worth a frequent reminder for the benefit of any new or inexperienced fliers.

Reactions: Jayfdee

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj