Lowered gimbal mount to remove props from video

Reaction score
Here is a nice simple modification I did to help remove the props from the top corners of my video. I started by adjusting the horizontal limit of the gimbal so much that I was getting lots of ground and very little sky which didn't make for great videos. So I looked at lowering the gimbal to allow for a more ahead view. This is only possible with the extended landing gear, because the gimbal hangs lower.

I lowered the gimbal by adding standoffs between the Phantom and the gimbal. Standoffs are spacer nuts usually used for mounting motherboards to PC cases, or accessories to the Raspberry Pi, for example. I ordered some M3 x 15mm standoff nuts but realised this didn't give much flexability, so ordered some M3 x 5mm as well. They came in packs of 50, which was overkill, but the total outlay was about GBP5, so not too expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=m3+brass+standoff&_sop=15&rt=nc
16410935982_c88319454f_m.jpg

I found the best combination was a 15mm and 5mm together. The 15mm standoff is screwed into the Phantom, then the 5mm, then the screws that fix the gimbal plate to the Phantom body attach the plate to the standoffs. The 15mm standoff thread needed to be filled down a bit because it was fouling the battery inside.
15789078794_4c08f8803c_z.jpg

16224136950_65f1ddb3ed_z.jpg

16410589342_e178acace1_z.jpg

The gibmal is cable tied to the plate to ensure it doesn't fall off. This lowered position also allows the original one-way clips that come with the gimbal to be used, installed from underneath. The video cable is the original cable, but I routed it inside with plenty of slack when I installed the video transmitter internally.
16225316419_b6bd4dcb43_z.jpg

16223892928_e46ab606fe_z.jpg

Final setup:
15791508833_0eebc10444_z.jpg

Good idea for those with extended landing gear.

@f1nutter: did you made any test flight? How was it? Does it still show the props when you throttle forward? Excited to receive feed back from you.. cheers!

At full throttle forward in a strong wind (this morning), I can just see the prop guards in the top corners. However, without the guards and at a steady pace, I can't see the props in the video.

Please note that the gimbal will try to keep the camera pointing in the same direction, no matter the attitude of the 'copter. So if the camera is pointing forward and the wind is so strong the 'copter is at 45 degrees to keep itself in the same position, the props will show!

So this mod is no guarantee, but will help.

i couldn't find this thread before, but thank you for the info about routing the gimbal cable. You were spot on & gave me alot more play. I've only lowered mine by 15mm, & only been flying like an idiot so still getting alot of prop, but its got to be better. Thank you

IMG_2273_zpsi6ggbwbh.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1