Lower Damping Bracket

Reaction score
Hello there

I have a Phantom 2 Vision and had a fly away experience today which resulted in me putting it down hard to avoid it going over houses. The lower damping bracket and camera came away from upper bracket. My question is relating to the lower damping bracket and whether that is secured to the camera on both sides or just one. Both would make sense in which case mine is now broken.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Scott

Geert said:
Scottafc said:
Hello there

I have a Phantom 2 Vision and had a fly away experience today which resulted in me putting it down hard to avoid it going over houses. The lower damping bracket and camera came away from upper bracket. My question is relating to the lower damping bracket and whether that is secured to the camera on both sides or just one. Both would make sense in which case mine is now broken.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Scott

You mean the camera with the 1 axis gimbal came off ?

Geert.

Hi Geert

The lower damping mount was partially detached from the upper damping mount and the connection had been pulled out. The camera is still attached to the lower damping mount but only on one side.

Here is a picture of what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_7517.JPG
    IMG_7517.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 502
Geert said:
About 4 months ago my P2V dropped out of the sky.
In my case, I was very happy that the camera with the dampers were separated from the upper bracket during the impact.
If not, the camera was completely destroyed which wasn't the case at that time.

:)

Geert.

Pleased to read it wasn't destroyed!!

Geert said:
Yes, I understand.
That is exactly what happened in my case too, it came off.
So, in my case, I was happy it was detached.

Geert.

But should the camera be attached to the damping bracket on both sides? You can see right through one side and it is not attached.

Yes it should, one side is a solid lug, the other is held on by a screw. You need to replace the screw by the look of it... :shock:

Seahorse said:
Yes it should, one side is a solid lug, the other is held on by a screw. You need to replace the screw by the look of it... :shock:

Hi Mike
Actually it might be the lug. The screw would connect to the drive would it?

Easy enough to check, here's the exploded view showing the (from left to right) lower dampening plate which includes the lug, the servo transmission which sits inside it, the block that fits on the servo 'gear' inside the camera 'ear' and the small screw that holds the other side on.

So either the Lug has snapped off, or you have lost a screw... :shock:

Attachments

• 2014-04-18 10.40.14.jpg
    2014-04-18 10.40.14.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 409
Seahorse said:
Easy enough to check, here's the exploded view showing the (from left to right) lower dampening plate which includes the lug, the servo transmission which sits inside it, the block that fits on the servo 'gear' inside the camera 'ear' and the small screw that holds the other side on.

So either the Lug has snapped off, or you have lost a screw... :shock:

Thanks, Mike. That's really helpful. I'm pretty sure it's the lug as the camera is still well and truly connected to the bracket which I put down to it being screwed on. How do I unscrew it from the camera? I assume I can't lift the servo unit out until it is unscrewed.

Thanks for your assistance. I was feeling pretty shitty when I had to put it down hard.

Scottafc said:
How do I unscrew it from the camera? I assume I can't lift the servo unit out until it is unscrewed.

OK, you should not fly until you have replacement part which you can obtain from Align-Trex or Buzzflyer - I'm sure plenty of other firms supply these, they just happen to be who I use that turn their orders around quickly.

• Once postie has delivered your new Damping Brackets get a small tub or bowl for the bits or you will lose something, important!
  • Sort out a decent bit of table, remove the battery and props and invert the Phantom.
  • Unplug the white lead from the back of the camera
  • Pop off all 4 damper grommets.
  • CAREFULLY lift the whole assembly an inch or so and release the pitch control cable which is hidden beneath.
  • Enjoy your technical prowess at this point :cool:
  • Left side camera ear (from the rear) contains the screw, it's under a small rubber plug which you can prise out with a small flat tipped screwdriver.
  • Remove the screw
  • Looking from above and behind camera there are 3 silver screws holding a black plastic plate which holds the pitch servo in place, remove them
  • Use your small flat screwdriver on the left side to ease out the plate which wedges the actual servo in place.
  • Hold the camera in your hand, use your screwdriver to ease the pitch servo from the right edge. As it comes out the camera will detach which is why you are holding it!
  • Fitting the camera to your new damping assembly is the exact reverse of the steps above.
  • One final warning - make sure you reattach the cable from the Phantom and the cable to the camera (this one takes a fair amount of pressure to click fully home) BEFORE re-inserting battery and powering up.

Mike, you're a legend. I have managed to do all the first part already and now have the bottom bracket off the Phantom and need to get the part pronto. I noticed the rubber plug and figured that was what it was.

Thanks again, Mike!!

Cheers

Scott

phantomguy said:
what caused the flywaway? Were you not in GPS mode?

Hi Phantomguy
I was not in GPS mode and was having a quick fly after a flip over on landing just to make sure all was ok. It is conceivable that one of the rubber plugs had worked lose on the flip-over because as soon as the Phantom was in the air it felt out of balance and very different. To make matter worse my POV (iPod Touch) went completely flat at this stage and as it screamed away I assumed it was flying forward and tried to compensate, it was then that I realized it was flying sideways and now it was heading towards houses, very fast. PANIC is not a word I use lightly here. My haste in having that one final fly for the day after some rock steady flying is to blame, I'm sure.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj