Low Takeoff Power in Manual

Reaction score
I couldn't find the answer to this so I started a new thread. I've been flying my Phantom 3 Advanced for about a month without any problems, but yesterday (and today) it will only achieve takeoff power in Auto Takeoff mode. When I try a manual takeoff by pulling the sticks back to the center in order to start the motors, they start and appear to idle but when I advance the stick to add power the power does not increase. It won't even break ground. But, Auto Takeoff works fine in both P and ATTI modes. Yesterday when the problem first appeared the app reported that the controller firmware needed to be updated, so I attempted to update it this morning and it appeared to already have the current version installed. And when I went to fly, the message about the controller firmware was absent and everything reported normal. So I flew it normally. Then towards the end of the flight with the battery at about 40% when I was practicing takeoffs and landings, the problem reappeared. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried to relink the rc to the aircraft? I would do this and try again, that's odd. Is all of the firmware and Dji go app updated ??

I couldn't find the answer to this so I started a new thread. I've been flying my Phantom 3 Advanced for about a month without any problems, but yesterday (and today) it will only achieve takeoff power in Auto Takeoff mode. When I try a manual takeoff by pulling the sticks back to the center in order to start the motors, they start and appear to idle but when I advance the stick to add power the power does not increase. It won't even break ground. But, Auto Takeoff works fine in both P and ATTI modes. Yesterday when the problem first appeared the app reported that the controller firmware needed to be updated, so I attempted to update it this morning and it appeared to already have the current version installed. And when I went to fly, the message about the controller firmware was absent and everything reported normal. So I flew it normally. Then towards the end of the flight with the battery at about 40% when I was practicing takeoffs and landings, the problem reappeared. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.
I did a quick search. Maybe you can find something in this thread:
Won't take off

I was going to suggest an RC recal or a mode check, but thought I'd search first. The guy in that thread fixed his with an IMU cal. As always, YMMV. Good luck sir.

Last edited:
Won't take off

I was going to suggest an RC recal or a mode check, but thought I'd search first. The guy in that thread fixed his with an IMU cal. As always, YMMV. Good luck sir.

I'm not a technical boffin, but I am curious. Why would the quad take off on auto but not with the sticks, if the IMU needed calibration. (I am not questioning the advice - it did work in the linked thread!)

I'm not a technical boffin, but I am curious. Why would the quad take off on auto but not with the sticks, if the IMU needed calibration. (I am not questioning the advice - it did work in the linked thread!)
Don't know. IMU cal wasn't even in my top 2-3 initial thoughts when I read the original post. Also, just because the guy in the other thread said that an IMU cal worked for him doesn't mean it really was the root cause. He didn't seem very confident with a P3 at that time.

Won't take off

I think the guy fixed it with a Stick Cal instead of an IMU Cal.

Don't know. IMU cal wasn't even in my top 2-3 initial thoughts when I read the original post. Also, just because the guy in the other thread said that an IMU cal worked for him doesn't mean it really was the root cause. He didn't seem very confident with a P3 at that time.
My thoughts too. Thanks.

Reactions: Oso
This very samething happened to me when I was a newbie. A couple of weeks went by with no flying and when I went to fly I started up with the usual stick position. Then when I went to launch and moved the stick all the way up nothing happened. I rebooted everything and had the same result. I couldn't imagine what I had broken. Then I thought I would try one last thing so I booted everything up and sure enough I had been using the wrong stick to launch up in the sky. Somehow I simply forgot how to operate such an easy to fly aircraft.

Not only was it messed up that I used the wrong stick, but to me it was even more messed up that I didn't try the other stick the 1st time I ran into something I thought was wrong.

Thanks for the reply. Mine flies normally when I use Auto Takeoff so I don't believe that is the case here. I just flew it again after verifying that all of the firmware is up to date. I also today just got a new iPad Pro on which I installed the latest version of DJI Go, and I relinked the controller. It behaved the same way. Auto Takeoff works but with Manual Takeoff the power won't advance much above idle.

sarla
This very samething happened to me when I was a newbie. A couple of weeks went by with no flying and when I went to fly I started up with the usual stick position. Then when I went to launch and moved the stick all the way up nothing happened. I rebooted everything and had the same result. I couldn't imagine what I had broken. Then I thought I would try one last thing so I booted everything up and sure enough I had been using the wrong stick to launch up in the sky. Somehow I simply forgot how to operate such an easy to fly aircraft.

Not only was it messed up that I used the wrong stick, but to me it was even more messed up that I didn't try the other stick the 1st time I ran into something I thought was wrong.

flyNfrank, I've been thinking about your posting, and I just realized that I was doing the same thing you described. I can't believe I fell into that trap. I've been flying this thing every day for a month. I realized that with Auto Takeoff I usually move forward a little before climbing. So, after the Manual Start I was trying to move forward a little before climbing, which of course is why it didn't go anywhere. Every time I fly I learn something new. Thank you for helping me solve that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20