Low GPS count on P3S

Reaction score
so I started using healthy drones. Wow. What an amazing tool!

I notice my drone is pretty healthy, but some things concern me. Mainly the GPS signal sensor. I'm always in the orange (good) but sometimes dip into red (poor) during my flights. This happened in the hand full of locations I've flown at all over the east coast.

Is this normal? Is this safe?
Do I need a P3A? Lol

Thanks!

Here is what many of my flight GPS data shows.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 414
so I started using healthy drones. Wow. What an amazing tool!

I notice my drone is pretty healthy, but some things concern me. Mainly the GPS signal sensor. I'm always in the orange (good) but sometimes dip into red (poor) during my flights. This happened in the hand full of locations I've flown at all over the east coast.

Is this normal? Is this safe?
Do I need a P3A? Lol

Thanks!

the number of usable gps satellites is limited in the standard compared to adv, pro and 4.

the standard gets only GPS and often you will be visible to as few as 6-8 and up to 12-14.
depends on horizon view and time of day with orbits etc.
so yea, at times you will see borderline signals

the adv, pro and 4 see gps and Glonass(Russian) so 2 x as many potential sats to lock on..

good luck and have fun flying!

the number of usable gps satellites is limited in the standard compared to adv, pro and 4.

the standard gets only GPS and often you will be visible to as few as 6-8 and up to 12-14.
depends on horizon view and time of day with orbits etc.
so yea, at times you will see borderline signals

the adv, pro and 4 see gps and Glonass(Russian) so 2 x as many potential sats to lock on..

good luck and have fun flying!

Yea that's what I'm finding out. It's a bit concerning, and makes me wonder if I should look into retrofitting glonas/GPS into the standard. If not too much trouble? Which it probably is.
My concern is flirting dangerously low with GPS and then fly off.

Yea that's what I'm finding out. It's a bit concerning, and makes me wonder if I should look into retrofitting glonas/GPS into the standard. If not too much trouble? Which it probably is.
My concern is flirting dangerously low with GPS and then fly off.

no retro fitting I have heard of , they are not really same inside at all for the control systems

I would not worry unless you are getting messages via the app about gps loss.

the HD view is based upon the full gps/Glonass count of 30 plus sats,

so 8 or 32 not good, but 8 of 16 is not so bad...

to have 7 or 8 is plenty for solid lock, 6 used to be and still may be the minimum needed

Positioning systems have been doing just fine without the GLONASS satellites. Three satellites will get you home. Just don't go flying down an urban canyon.

SB

no retro fitting I have heard of , they are not really same inside at all for the control systems

I would not worry unless you are getting messages via the app about gps loss.

the HD view is based upon the full gps/Glonass count of 30 plus sats,

so 8 or 32 not good, but 8 of 16 is not so bad...

to have 7 or 8 is plenty for solid lock, 6 used to be and still may be the minimum needed

Makes sense. I guess that since DJI had it programmed that it's okay to take off with six satellites; then that must be more than enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20