Low flying helicopter

Reaction score
Just getting ready to fly yesterday when a helicopter passed over at about 300 ft, kinda in my airspace, or is it?
14aa8a520c389c1b0ac2fb2d650ad2f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'll have to keep an eye out for the low flyers so. Looked about 300ft could have been more. I have had a look at the faa website. If i had been flying i would have landed when i heard it coming. Also had a look at the IAA website where im from.

Sent from my SM-G920F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I l live close to a major highway in my city, and the local news helicopters always fly over head to report on the traffic. They are constantly below 500 feet and I always have to have my head on a swivel with my ears tuned for the unmistakable thump thump thump of a bell rotor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Alta where? I'm in Alta, California and it doesn't look like your place at all :)

I believe the minimum altitude for manned aircraft is 1000' unless it's a emergency situation. In that picture it looks like it's just above that 1000' mark.

500' for aircraft, hence the 400' recommended ceiling for us. 1000' is called "pattern altitude' as that is considered the pattern altitude at most controlled and uncontrolled airports unless otherwise noted in the charts.

Manned helicopters are supposed to adhere to regulations as well, such as minimum heights when over people... but here in Seattle there are constantly news and recreational choppers that fly within a couple hundred feet of the deck or structures... They are NOT supposed to, but unless someone reports them or complains, doesn't seem to be much monitoring or consequences. Of course if a chopper spots your drone (below 400 ft) around them it becomes a big issue, and you will absolutely be the 'bad guy'.

Reactions: alta view
Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph B or C of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.
I work at the NYTRACON in Westbury (Terminal Radar Approach Control) and it is not unusual for pilots to request a patter below 500agl. They just need the authorization and clearance. As it's been said its their airspace, not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers