Low Flying GA Traffic

Perfect example why the FAA should, and likely will, require UAV operators of high performance A/C (Phantom class), not toys in the backyard, to pass a Pilot Knowledge exam in the future. No one should operate high performance A/C w/o a working knowledge of FARs.
I think licensing is inevitable. And not because of the high-altitude or BLOS videos on Youtube. It will be a few years in coming after the Part 107 rules are finalized, but we will be the ones asking for it from the FAA.

And yet, everything I wrote is still completely true and valid to the thread. Yahtze yourself.

I think licensing is inevitable. And not because of the high-altitude or BLOS videos on Youtube. It will be a few years in coming after the Part 107 rules are finalized, but we will be the ones asking for it from the FAA.
"but we will be the ones asking for it from the FAA." asking? I'm begging:D

I can see more than 500' away. Can't you? I can also fly my phantom more than 500' from where I'm standing. Can't you? It completely plausible that the OP could have been more than 500' from the aircraft. Only the OP can say for sure. Either way, good luck trying to get the pilot violated without good video evidence and a tail number.
Climb down and get some oxygen. I never said to bust the pilot. Unless there is corroborating evidence that makes the flight clearly a violation of 91.119, the pilot may not even get an educational letter. Certainly not a violation. But if this pilot does make a habit of flying down a shoreline at 100 ft over people, then as a pilot, I would want him busted.

You think this forum are hard on people who go beyond the guidelines, you should see what the General Aviation community does to someone who really does break the FAA rules. General aviation aircraft experience an average of two serious crashes a day (see CFR 49-830.2 Definitions). About 700 per year since the 1990's. Ten percent of them involve fatalities. We want those pilots who ignore the rules grounded. (OK, we have an ulterior motive because the pilot population is small we all pay for accidents through higher insurance premiums. And any crash is likely to bring out the nuts who want the airport they moved next to to be closed).

Climb down and get some oxygen. I never said to bust the pilot. Unless there is corroborating evidence that makes the flight clearly a violation of 91.119, the pilot may not even get an educational letter. Certainly not a violation. But if this pilot does make a habit of flying down a shoreline at 100 ft over people, then as a pilot, I would want him busted.

You think this forum are hard on people who go beyond the guidelines, you should see what the General Aviation community does to someone who really does break the FAA rules. General aviation aircraft experience an average of two serious crashes a day (see CFR 49-830.2 Definitions). About 700 per year since the 1990's. Ten percent of them involve fatalities. We want those pilots who ignore the rules grounded. (OK, we have an ulterior motive because the pilot population is small we all pay for accidents through higher insurance premiums. And any crash is likely to bring out the nuts who want the airport they moved next to to be closed).[/QUO
bravo-smylie00066.GIF

You think this forum are hard on people who go beyond the guidelines, you should see what the General Aviation community does to someone who really does break the FAA rules.
I made a living for several years flying low over crowded beaches and flying over crowds and large outdoor events so I'm well aware of what the general aviation community does. I'm also well aware of how the FAA feels about flying low and how they react to reports of low flying aircraft.

You guys should come to Alaska and see how people fly up here. Even in the large (by Alaskan standards) city like Anchorage it's not uncommon to see GA aircraft flying well below 500 ft, as we have multiple air strips/lakes all within the city. I've been on flights where we were scud running 200-300 feet AGL for hours, it's just the way of life up here with the unpredictable weather. It's not uncommon to see a helicopter buzz over at tree top level or a Piper Cub fly in the canyon over a river.

A couple of times I've seen CG helicopters emerge from the fog at 50-100 feet over water as we're heading out of port.

I encourage everyone to learn as much as you can about VFR procedures in your area even if you're well away from an airport/airstrip.

I was just flying my Phantom 1 (without GoPro) south of Houston at a park behind my house when an Apache came flying over the neighborhood.

Freaked me out. So I landed it. I needed to swap batteries anyway.

The Apache came back and circled me for a good couple of minutes.

Not sure if he wanted me to fly it and a take a picture or use it for target practice.

I wasn't about to fly with him in the area.

What's the appropriate response to a low flying manned vehicle like a helicopter? Visual avoidance?

(Edit: also how does one start a new thread on this site. This is my first post :) )

Of course...................... we all agree that it's not the actual "pilots" raising the most hell on the forums about flying, rules and licensing. Why, I had more than a few tell me they hadn't noticed any such thing! :rolleyes:

I'm off to find some friendly forums without all the wanna-be cops and lawyers. I've never seen so many in one place, at one time, who know everything, and mostly enjoy crapping on others fun, because they're not licensed, and don't fly the way "they" think we should. It seems to just be killing you guys that you can't get the FAA to come flog every one of us for buying a Phantom and getting into the hobby. I don't expect any of you fly that much............. you're too busy on here bitching about everything! Sad little guys, with nothing better to do, I guess. And then you try to justify it by convincing yourselves that you're doing it for us and the hobby. Wake up and smell the coffee............... you're mostly irrelevant!.

Steve beat me to it. Land immediately.
Well that's what I did.

My only real question is when is it ok to fly again. Tonight I waited until it was obvious he was headed away from me. He looked to be a couple of thousand feet away and around 300ft AGL before I took off.

My intention is not to be an idiot while flying this thing. So any pointers to rules and references would be great.

(I've already read over the FAA RC guidelines)

Well that's what I did.

My only real question is when is it ok to fly again. Tonight I waited until it was obvious he was headed away from me. He looked to be a couple of thousand feet away and around 300ft AGL before I took off.

My intention is not to be an idiot while flying this thing. So any pointers to rules and references would be great.

(I've already read over the FAA RC guidelines)
It looks like you did everything right.

At the risk of getting Snerd panties in a bunch, you did the right thing as manned aircraft have the right of way, so to speak. Sounds like he was far enough for you to fly safely again. It's not all that difficult, if flyers exercise common sense just like you did. No one owns the sky so we all have to get along and learn the rules. Well done.

Of course...................... we all agree that it's not the actual "pilots" raising the most hell on the forums about flying, rules and licensing. Why, I had more than a few tell me they hadn't noticed any such thing! :rolleyes:

I'm off to find some friendly forums without all the wanna-be cops and lawyers. I've never seen so many in one place, at one time, who know everything, and mostly enjoy crapping on others fun, because they're not licensed, and don't fly the way "they" think we should. It seems to just be killing you guys that you can't get the FAA to come flog every one of us for buying a Phantom and getting into the hobby. I don't expect any of you fly that much............. you're too busy on here bitching about everything! Sad little guys, with nothing better to do, I guess. And then you try to justify it by convincing yourselves that you're doing it for us and the hobby. Wake up and smell the coffee............... you're mostly irrelevant!.
Gee, take a pill or something.Advising other of the rules and flying safety is not "crapping on others fun..." Since when do you or anybody here has to do what anyone says? Or read what we post? Seems to me you read what we post to aggravate yourself.

Thanks for the confirmation guys.

My job has taught me:
Crew Safety First
Vehicle Safety Second
Mission Success Third.

Guess I'll keep following that.

I've gotta agree with a lot of this.

As these "policemen" type... nobody is dying... or coming close to dying..... while 3 more people died from refrigerators.

I agree that a lot of them don't have time to fly quadcopters.. and when they do... how boring it must be. I've gotta say... that 401 ft. in altitude flight was great!!!! what a view.

As I was coming northbound (over the grassy area) from the southbound leg, a small aircraft (Cessna?) came around the corner from the north, from behind the ridge, along the shoreline, I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 or so off the water, probably gawking at the babes on the beach, anyhow I usually fly at around 150 feet. I can easily see a situation where our course lines could have intersected. Freaked me the hell out! I suppose i'll cross this spot off my list.

It is possible that the pilot could have had permission from the local ATC. We used a GA aircraft to look for a lost horse and the pilot got permission from the local tower to fly lower than normal to look for it in an unpopulated area. (We did find the horse). If you got the N number, best to ask before accusing. I like to carry an aircraft band radio tuned to the local tower or UNICOM frequency for that reason.You won't hear the tower from the ground but you will hear a nearby aircraft.

Like the other guy said, if you hear a plane, they have priority. If it's coming at you, exit right to avoid collision. http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/3575/which-way-should-you-turn-to-avoid-another-aircraft

I've gotta agree with a lot of this.

As these "policemen" type... nobody is dying... or coming close to dying..... while 3 more people died from refrigerators.

I agree that a lot of them don't have time to fly quadcopters.. and when they do... how boring it must be. I've gotta say... that 401 ft. in altitude flight was great!!!! what a view.
You guys crack me up; you complaint about what other people type but you love reading it. I was not aware that this forum FORCED anyone to read postings; face it you just enjoy whining so "drone" on....:p

"I don't think calling the cops to rat on the guy/gal is going to solve anything. You're just going to piss off the pilot and put him/her is a world of Krap. How would you folks like it if someone reported you every time you failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign, or exceeded the posted speed limit?"

Not only may a call to the FAA save his/her life in preventing future stunts but also his/her license from revocation. Two sides to every issue, bud.

I laugh in your general direction. I don't recall the OP mentioning loops, rolls, hammerhead stalls, or any other stunts. Sheesh... :p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie