Low altitudes on waypoints?

Reaction score
Is it possible somehow to go under the limit of altitude for using a waypoints? Bottom limit is 10 meters. I need 2.
Can any 3rd party app do this?

Im going to say probably yes with autopilot (autoflightlogic) and perhaps others but i havent tried it you woud be brave to try. Factor in the advertised positional accuracy of the phantom not to mention the height of your average person or other moving obstacles that may find their way into your mission and add your ability to set altitudes accurately, you have little margin for error.

True. But i need to shoot the video of phantom slowly going from point A to B. Without slight changes in the direction. So it will be focused on a persons face in the end and wont miss it.
The location is a big field. So no obstacles.
I also prefer to do it manually myself. But was just curious

That low to the ground be careful as the Phantom is not always correct at take off with proper altitude, can be that far off...

Reactions: Dinodragon1
True. But i need to shoot the video of phantom slowly going from point A to B. Without slight changes in the direction. So it will be focused on a persons face in the end and wont miss it.
The location is a big field. So no obstacles.
I also prefer to do it manually myself. But was just curious

I think you would be better off starting with the close up of the face, then fly away backwards, then reversing the video in post editing. Flying in for the close-up sounds dangerous.

Reactions: Just Mark
I think you would be better off starting with the close up of the face, then fly away backwards, then reversing the video in post editing. Flying in for the close-up sounds dangerous.
But the person has to say something. Close up needs 2 be veeeery slow so i dont think that can be a problem.

This is all very confusing, whatever the brief is from what is revealed in your posts we have slow movement, workimg within two meters of the ground and the apparent need tp move the camera close to a human subject. A canera mounted on a hand held stabalised mount is likely the best choice here. You will get the benefit of audio capture of what needs ro be said also.

Reactions: Dinodragon1
I too would like to do low altitude flight from waypoint to waypoint. I shot a video going through an old historic covered bridge that had recently been restored. I walked the P3A through the flight very slowly but on looking at the video it looked like I was looking through the eyes of a drunk person. would like to reshoot to get a straight line of flight.

I too would like to do low altitude flight from waypoint to waypoint. I shot a video going through an old historic covered bridge that had recently been restored. I walked the P3A through the flight very slowly but on looking at the video it looked like I was looking through the eyes of a drunk person. would like to reshoot to get a straight line of flight.
What is the GPS reception like inside the covered bridge? You may have lock but at reduced number of satelites and reduced positional accuracy. If you use return to home you will notice in most instances where you land is off what the craft thinks is the home point, this gives you a feel of how far you can be out from the intended flight path in waypoint. Waypoints should be used with caution in close quarters, watch things closely and be prepared to take control.

Reactions: Neon Euc
i realized that i don't have enough skill to do the piloting and filming things at the same time. thats why i need waypoints feature to help me out, and then i only need to focus on the camera heading when the waypoint mission being accomplished.

first try, i made a very simple scenario with 3 waypoints. 1st starting point at 20m altitude, moving to 2nd point about 30m away from the 1st one and at lowest alt allowed by the go.app. the 2nd point was successfully recorded at about few inches above my head. then i move it to the 3rd (last point) straight away about 40m from the 2nd point at 20m alt. we can imagine how the path i created as a straight line with altitude variation.

then i started the mission, and i was expecting to arrange the camera heading to my self standing near to 2nd point.
but i watched the phantom movement doesn't seem to correctly follow the altitude i have designed before. i am pretty sure the lowest altitude (2nd point) was recorded few inches above my head under the electric powerline. but this is what happened.....

553eef98fdd722b99ac7ceeba62b6ff1.jpg

only few inches above the powerlines which i measured about 6-7meters above the ground level. that was really close to crash....

so, my conclusion is, this feature has very wide margin of error, my be due to the GPS calculation at the current time. as same as what happened when we try it to automatic RTH+landing after we fly it some distance from the home point. we can see the telemetries also not accurately reported as the actual situation.

so, give the phantom some space (above 5meters) to anything (obstacles) when we design the path of the waypoints.
Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I wouldn't be using the waypoints option as a system for close accurate flying - and certainly not the Litchi option. If you want to get close to an object and have full control over the camera, could you not fly the mission first in GO and record that as a waypoint? Then you could re-fly it, taking manual control of the camera. I wonder if this would even work though, I haven't tested it. I use Litchi all the time and it is really good, but not for close-up shots due to the margin of error as discussed earlier.

Course Lock (CL) is another mode to fly a straight line by just pushing or pulling back on the left stick, while being able to rotate the craft for the camera angle. Look on youtube for videos. It is a great way for beginners to make more professional looking videos.

I use Litchi and am able to come very close to ground and objects. Repeated accuracy is variable so be careful with speed. Here are my video examples. As you can see, Drone is able to move close to ground.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How the hell did you manage to fly that low, my sphincter would have been twitching

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's not 300' up and out.... It's near and dear.... Petting it as it fans it's way through is the fun.

I wouldn't be using the waypoints option as a system for close accurate flying - and certainly not the Litchi option. If you want to get close to an object and have full control over the camera, could you not fly the mission first in GO and record that as a waypoint? Then you could re-fly it, taking manual control of the camera. I wonder if this would even work though, I haven't tested it. I use Litchi all the time and it is really good, but not for close-up shots due to the margin of error as discussed earlier.
In fact, the film require me to fly in a curved path, not as a straight line. Due to the building arround us. So, CL or HL wouldn't help either, unless we make another adjustment left and right as the bird passing the buildings...

Sent from my X89 Kindow(D5N3) using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic