Low Altitude Signal Loss

Reaction score
Is there any known tendency to loose the RC signal at low altitude plus distance. I was flying my bird at a distance of 350 meters but at only 6 meters altitude and twice got an RC signal loss message for about 5-10 seconds. I had flown across a channel of water and was practicing low flights over a marsh for an upcoming wetlands study. As you can see in the photo, there was no obstruction between where I stood on the distant shoreline and the bird. Can RC signal be lost at low altitude coupled with distance due to some sort of ground effect? There was an occasional boat passing between us, but I did not correlate the passing of a boat (at least I didn't notice one) with the occasional signal loss at the time. I was on slightly higher ground and line of sight seemed to be above any watercraft passing by.

Attachments

• marsh drone.jpg
    marsh drone.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 336
Thanks. I looked a little further into it and apparently the water surface can act like a mirror and reflect the RC signal, and if the original signal and the reflected signal reach the bird 180 degrees out of sync the two waves can cancel each other out -- resulting in no signal. I just have to hope my RTH feature always works. I was flying with 12 sats that day, so probably no need for tha surge of adrenalin I felt at that moment.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub