Low Altitude FPV Flight Down Entire Las Vegas Strip at Night

Reaction score
This was by far the most exhilarating FPV Flight experience I've had yet with my Phantom 2 Vision.

The Las Vegas Police this time weren't as friendly as they were previously, and were really trying hard to find a law they could use to fine me, or ticket me for this.

In the end however, it was totally worth it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-KqWfVud0[/youtube]

Re: Low Altitude FPV Flight Down Entire Las Vegas Strip at N

I like how you waited for the red light to change.

spanktimonious said:
Only lasted 30 seconds and then closed the window thanks to shaky footage and the poorly executed stabilization in post.

Pissing off the cops is probably not a good idea but if you get off on it then have fun you rebel you.

This is just the YouTube stabilization tool, which ironically makes it more destabilized. The original video is much better quality.

lol, I certainly don't get off on pissing off the cops, and not sure how you came to that conclusion based on my post, but I also am not going to cower in fear of a badge when I'm doing something completely legal, without breaking any laws. I purposely waited to do this until 4:00am, when as little people as possible were on the street.

Stop being so submissive to the guys dressed up in costume with a badge, you are doing nothing wrong by flying a Phantom anywhere you wish at this point, take advantage of it, enjoy it, stop being scared.

On a side note, this was my first attempt at this flight, which ended in almost a disaster. I had charged the battery completely, with it showing 100% When I started, and immediately I noticed the battery had dropped within just a few minutes to 52%, and then the next time I looked, it was landing because it was showing 2% battery, in the middle of Las Vegas Blvd!

Thankfully I banked hard to the right, landing on the sidewalk after hitting a light pole!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_tQMYxDww[/youtube]

You made it very clear that you thought flying a Phantom down a street was "getting off" on making the cops angry, so I inferred that you go out of your way and don't fly down the street with your Phantom so you don't piss the cops off. My point is solely, there's absolutely no law regulating the flight of your Phantom, and by going out of your way to not piss cops off, your submitting to a man in a costume with a badge for no reason, other then perhaps your afraid of them, which is exactly how they want you to be.

Maybe I'm wrong here, I don't know. And yes, you may fly your Phantom wherever you wish (maybe not within 3 miles of an airport or above 400 feet) at this particular time, I've done the research. You're submitting to a man in costume and not any laws by not flying down the street. Just my take on what you wrote, again, I may be completely wrong here.

fly high photo?

did LV PD make you stop flying? there is a case here in CT right now with a phantom pilot pursueing legal action on the PD for just that and some other harassment issues,,,,i do like the video,,,not sure i would try it based on the liability of an inadvertant run in with persons or property,,,but for sure the LVPD will pursue some sort of ordinance soon sine you are getting their attention, curious if you can elaborate on your interactions and the general position they had,,,and your responses,,

To my fellow comrade, nice video. I bet they wanted to ticket you for running a red light, illegal lane change with the improper use of a blinker (GPS lock) or your tail light is out. "Boy... you in a heap of trouble". :lol: I bet they were looking at the book to give you something.

To others if you do not exercise your freedoms, they will be taken away by mob rule. We are in a police state like it or not.... how many things have you done as a kid back then that now if you did them you would be put in jail today.......

....he also may have had to blow a breatherizer,,,,FUI...flying under the influence?,,,,also exceeding indicated airspeed restrictions ,,,,,i think he made a right on red as well... CT has a bill right now awaiting passage making certain specific malicious operation of UAV's a crime....but that is just the start....

Given all the lights and promotional stunts that are routine in Las Vegas, I'm surprised anyone even noticed.

The failed first attempt is why this type of flying generally isn't a good idea. You were lucky your falling bird didn't injure someone ... or startle a driver who then caused an accident. Of course you did try to mitigate that possibility by waiting until 4AM. Still, it shows that despite our best efforts things can go awry. Just be sure you're willing to accept responsibility for the consequences of your actions, regardless of how unintended they may be.

If the LVPD had seen the failed attempt, I imagine they might have found something to cite you for.

spanktimonious said:
SRT said:
To my fellow comrade, nice video. I bet they wanted to ticket you for running a red light, illegal lane change with the improper use of a blinker (GPS lock) or your tail light is out. "Boy... you in a heap of trouble". :lol: I bet they were looking at the book to give you something.

To others if you do not exercise your freedoms, they will be taken away by mob rule. We are in a police state like it or not.... how many things have you done as a kid back then that now if you did them you would be put in jail today.......

Who has argued against exercising freedoms ?

Your hyperbole is funny.

And I can bet that when you are driving your car on public roadways that you do not drive 0.001 over the speed limit. I think not. You preach it, but one has to look in the mirror.

Thanks for being Mr. Perfect

spanktimonious said:
That's not correct. For example, there is a regulation limiting flying RC aircraft in the Grand Canyon National Park

Well it's a good thing I was flying in Las Vegas and not the Grand Canyon then.

Who's really denigrating who here? If I'm unfairly harassed by Las Vegas Police for doing something they don't like, but have no authority to stop as there's no law prohibiting it, then this could be considered denigration.

I use the term men in costume only to those who attempt to make up laws as they go for the sake of being a prick. Again if there isn't a law prohibiting my actions, what's the need to stop and harass?

I still get the impression that you refuse to fly your Phantom in a public setting because you fear the police, or confrontation, which is your right. I on the other hand refuse to give up any rights that I have until a law is written saying I absolutely can't, which at that point I will submit to the laws of the land.

FlyHighPhoto said:
spanktimonious said:
That's not correct. For example, there is a regulation limiting flying RC aircraft in the Grand Canyon National Park

Well it's a good thing I was flying in Las Vegas and not the Grand Canyon then.

Who's really denigrating who here? If I'm unfairly harassed by Las Vegas Police for doing something they don't like, but have no authority to stop as there's no law prohibiting it, then this could be considered denigration.

I use the term men in costume only to those who attempt to make up laws as they go for the sake of being a prick. Again if there isn't a law prohibiting my actions, what's the need to stop and harass?

I still get the impression that you refuse to fly your Phantom in a public setting because you fear the police, or confrontation, which is your right. I on the other hand refuse to give up any rights that I have until a law is written saying I absolutely can't, which at that point I will submit to the laws of the land.

I guess he can read but failed to comprehend that you are in Vegas and not the Grand Canyon.

Funny ..... flying a high tech flying quad with insane navigation ..... getting served by cops riding pushbikes ???? priceless :lol:

jwuman said:
fly high photo?

did LV PD make you stop flying? there is a case here in CT right now with a phantom pilot pursueing legal action on the PD for just that and some other harassment issues,,,,i do like the video,,,not sure i would try it based on the liability of an inadvertant run in with persons or property,,,but for sure the LVPD will pursue some sort of ordinance soon sine you are getting their attention, curious if you can elaborate on your interactions and the general position they had,,,and your responses,,

I definitely understand not wanting to do this yourself due to the risks involved. I too was quite nervous about it, and considered the risks before attempting, and ultimately decided the risks involved were worth the end result.

The police must have followed the drone down most of the strip, and finally caught up with me after I got out of the car to land the drone. The conversation as I recall went something like;

LVMPD: Hey! You can't be doing that here.

Me: Oh, I checked for local ordinances before flying tonight, I couldn't find any laws on the books for flying a remote control helicopter (I always say RC helicopter and not drone when talking to LEO), what law exactly am I breaking?

LVMPD: How about endangering the public?

Me: Well it is 4:00am, and I made a conscious effort to avoid flying over pedestrians or sidewalks, who exactly was I endangering? Myself? It was pretty stressful for me to fly this thing all the way down the strip, I agree I probably endangered myself.

LVMPD: Umm, Welll....Duh...Partner?

LVMPD 2: Well this is trespassing on private property.

Me: So your saying my helicopter in the air is trespassing?

LVMPD 2: No, I'm saying your trespassing on private property.

Me: That's fine. I'll just get back in my car then and sit across the street and fly my helicopter from there then, is this trespassing?

LVMPD 2: Well no...But all of these hotels that you filmed are intellectual property, they have copyright protection (I'm not even joking, the police officer really tried using this as a way to get me in trouble)

Me: Well if I was making movie or another commercial project to make money on, you might have a point, but I'm only doing this for a thrill, a hobby, not to make money.

That's about the extent that I can remember. I was probably a little more rude and argumentative then I posted here, but the adrenaline pumping through me after finishing the flight I'd been waiting for my entire trip, I was pretty pumped up to say the least, and I knew I did nothing wrong or illegal, so I acted that way, confident I had the moral high ground, basically inferring for him to go away.

I finally told them if they were going to arrest me, or ticket me please do it now, and I had much better things to go then sit here and debate laws with them. I was walking away when one of them said to me "We'd better not see you flying that again!" Yea, ok buddy, slow night in Vegas for you? You really are going to arrest someone flying a remote control helicopter who's endangering nobody? I didn't think so. That was the end of my conversation with them.

would have been funny if you pretended to land on top of a parking garage,,,then once they go up there to investigate, fly away,,,1ADAM12 to HQ- "we are in hot pursuit of a drone" headiing west towards the ballagio....lol...anyway hope to see more vegas night videos...really nice...

Need more popcorn for this thread....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Seahorse said:
Need more popcorn for this thread....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

just found this.
wanna share a big tub o popcorn?

I'm curious to know, is the video slowed down?
If not, then how did you retrieve it? Afterall, the battery life would end shortly after the length of the video.
For something like that, I'd have a friend around, send him to the other end, and retrieve it that way.

Another way to do this, would be to stay in hotel that has a balcony.
Then launch from the balcony and the cops would have a heck of a time figuring out where the controller is.
Or maybe launch from the top of the stratosphere?

Oh this is AWESOME, I am leaving for Vegas tomorrow and staying at the Stratosphere to do precisely this. I want to get some good footage.
I came across this post researching if there were any laws or ordinances preventing me from doing so. Looks like if I stay below 400 ft (very hard for me to do) then I will be with in the law.
LOVE IT!
Stay tuned.......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20