Lost today

Reaction score
I had a fly away today and I can not find my Phantom 2. How far can they go? I had at 1/2 battery left. once I noticed I had a problem I put in HL but never came back. Want to know how far out to look. Thanks

Iceman1 said:
I had a fly away today and I can not find my Phantom 2. How far can they go? I had at 1/2 battery left. once I noticed I had a problem I put in HL but never came back. Want to know how far out to look. Thanks

Sorry dude... That sucks.

If you had 1/2 a battery and it never tried to go home it could fly up to two miles or 3.5 kilometers if it was traveling at about 12 mph.

That's considering it was a new battery and had roughly 10 mins left on it.

But... I'd imagine it would eventually go into fail safe mode so it's probably less than that extreme.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Did you put your name and phone number on it? If you get it back, or buy another, buy a GPS tracker. The one I purchased is a RF-V16 from Ebay. It claims to be the smallest and it is very small and weighs 29 grams. It is very cheap insurance and it is packed with features. For example, as you get close, call the tracker's number and you can hear the audio from it.

I can go between 6.5-8 kms total distance depending on wind with my p2 which is fully loaded with gimbal, camera, FPV, and groundstation. I'm on the ground at 30% so still plenty to go before before auto land. I would guess that it could get as far as 4-5kms if it had speed and kept a steady heading.

Sorry to hear another one is down.

I really feel for you. I can't imagine seeing mine flying away.

It is a sad time for you, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. So, welcome to the forum!

Iceman1 said:

I once witnessed a fly-away when my brother took off on his second flight after a quick battery change. He had just lifted off and put it into a hover when It took off at high speed over a lake. He was not hitting any controls at the moment when it took off. I know this because I thought it was odd that he was so bold to fly that fast over the lake on his second flight. I asked him twice if he was hitting any controls and he confirmed that he was not hitting any controls. I quickly asked him to pass over the controller and switched it from GPS mode to ATTI mode and brought it back safely and landed it.

His fly-away was caused by not following a good start-up procedure and not getting a good home lock before taking off. I believe that the only way to recover from a fly-away where your controller still has a connection is to get it off GPS mode and into ATTI mode. In my brother's situation, putting it into HL (Home Lock) would not help since the Phantom obviously would not have a good home lock.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl