Lost signal at barely 100m (300ft)

Reaction score
I just bought a new Phantom 4 and have taken it out 6-7 times so far. Everything worked perfectly fine until today, when I went up to 100m and suddenly lost connection. It came back down on its own and I picked up the signal again at around 80m, but then it kept saying the signal was very weak and that it was about to lose signal every time I went further than about 90m for the rest of the flight.

Not sure if this is related but the altitude was also completely wrong, by the time I got to the ground and landed it said I was flying at -30m (-100ft)!

I would really appreciate some advice as this has made me quite paranoid to take it out again in case it loses signal again when I'm much further away and doesn't activate return to home. Also I'm just practicing for now but I do want to take advantage of that 5km range at some point!

Take the drone to an open place switch on and let it to warmup and look at the gps symbol. There should be more then 8 satellites before you take off. Set the antenna to the "rabbit position". Go to 120m hight and try to fly to place where you can see the dron. If the sight is free to drone you are probably fly more then 1km without getting "weak signal" message.

Take the drone to an open place switch on and let it to warmup and look at the gps symbol. There should be more then 8 satellites before you take off. Set the antenna to the "rabbit position". Go to 120m hight and try to fly to place where you can see the dron. If the sight is free to drone you are probably fly more then 1km without getting "weak signal" message.

Thanks for the help, the strange thing is I was in a completely open field and had more than 8 satellites (it was green). All of a sudden it became red and said it was a weak signal and few seconds later it completely cut off. As I said I was in the middle of a field and there was literally nothing between me and the drone, weather was kind of cloudy but not very windy.

It looks like power problem. The battery is OK? Look at the battery status in DJI GO.

It looks like power problem. The battery is OK? Look at the battery status in DJI GO.
I'll do it next time I fly however I'm fairly sure the battery was perfectly fine, it lasted the full 25 minutes and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it

If you are flying directly overhead and keep the rc facing forward then it is very possible as the signal points in the direction of the flat side of the antennas

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks for this, I think this might have been the problem. So basically I shouldn't fly the drone directly overhead? At how much of an angle would you say I'd have to be?

If you are flying directly overhead you can also point the antenna straight out, ie, parallel to the ground so they emit signal to the Phantom above you. Just remember to put them in the rabbit ear position again.

I just bought a new Phantom 4 and have taken it out 6-7 times so far. Everything worked perfectly fine until today, when I went up to 100m and suddenly lost connection. It came back down on its own and I picked up the signal again at around 80m, but then it kept saying the signal was very weak and that it was about to lose signal every time I went further than about 90m for the rest of the flight.

Not sure if this is related but the altitude was also completely wrong, by the time I got to the ground and landed it said I was flying at -30m (-100ft)!

I would really appreciate some advice as this has made me quite paranoid to take it out again in case it loses signal again when I'm much further away and doesn't activate return to home. Also I'm just practicing for now but I do want to take advantage of that 5km range at some point!
...jbomb, can you please provide the DJIFlightRecord_*.txt Flight-Log File, you
can post it here or email it to the following email address...
VaData (at) YaHoo (dot) com
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

I have got the same issue yesterday. I got "No signal" and "Weak signal" messages. I was at 40 m height and P4 was over my head. The same thing happened this morning. In the end I realised the problem. There were two car models using 2.4 GHz spread spectrum. The transmitters were several meters apart from me. It means that RC300C was interrered by tranmitters.
So be careful who is staying near to you. The P4 will obtain control from RC but the receivers in RC300 are not able to receive signals from the dron.

If you have antenna in "V" shape then it is non sense. If you are at 40 m it is nonsense anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen