Lost my Vision+ in a river/ can I buy just a quad?

Reaction score
Just so we're all clear, the Vision2+ does not float. I was even lucky enough to get the help of the coast guard to try to find it, with no luck. Pretty sure it sunk fairly immediately. Was about 30 feet over the water, lost altitude quick and down she went.

So since you can pair any quad with a remote, is there any way to buy just the quad copter without the remote and wifi extender? Trying to soften the blow of replacement as much as I can.

Next time, floating landing gear, yup, not gonna screw that up again.

rightoncue said:
Just so we're all clear, the Vision2+ does not float. I was even lucky enough to get the help of the coast guard to try to find it, with no luck. Pretty sure it sunk fairly immediately. Was about 30 feet over the water, lost altitude quick and down she went.

So since you can pair any quad with a remote, is there any way to buy just the quad copter without the remote and wifi extender? Trying to soften the blow of replacement as much as I can.

Dji has informed me that you can buy just the quad... try http://www.MotionRC.com

Sorry bout your loss... good luck

dezunka said:
And if you are flying over water... definitely invest in one of these: http://www.water-buoy.com/

Sorry for your loss!

I looked into the Water-Buoy. The concept is very cool. Trouble is it can only lift 2 kg of weight, (they do make two larger sized units, overkill for the Phantom) and the Phantom Vision+ weighs around 2.7-2.8 kg, so you would need TWO of them to provide sufficient buoyancy. The other problem was I watched video of a couple of guys testing them in 40' of water with 3 kg of weight (2 Water-Buoys attached). Even though the two units should have provided sufficient buoyancy to lift 4 kg, when 40' submerged, they did not have enough gas pressure to fully inflate, so the test weight never surfaced. They had a string attached so they could pull it up manually. As it approached the surface, they could see that the water pressure had kept the balloons from fully deploying and, as it got very near the surface, they did fully inflate and were able to support the 3 kg payload. Trouble is, if you don't have the string to pull it up... :shock:

Great concept but it needs work & more gas pressure. I would use a GetterBack instead. Weighs only .5 oz, works in depths to 100' depth, and the string is included. ;)

rightoncue said:
Even with floats, you are likely to tip over. Have you considered a waterproof quad?

rightoncue said:

I am wondering how the Vision + lost latitude quick ? what happened to it?

Dirty Bird - thanks for the information!! That's good to know before another false sense of security failure!!

Dirty Bird said:
I looked into the Water-Buoy. The concept is very cool. Trouble is it can only lift 2 kg of weight, (they do make two larger sized units, overkill for the Phantom) and the Phantom Vision+ weighs around 2.7-2.8 kg, so you would need TWO of them to provide sufficient buoyancy.

Perhaps you're mixing up pounds and kilograms.
According to DJI the P2+ weighs 1.284 kg with battery

But what you said about water pressure at depth is correct.
Something that will hold 2 kg at the surface will have trouble inflating sufficiently at depth.
At 30 ft the airbag that was full at the surface will only be half full

dezunka said:
Dirty Bird - thanks for the information!! That's good to know before another false sense of security failure!!
Dirty Bird is usually right, but off a wee bit here. I just weighed my Vision+. It's a tad over 1.3 Kg so within the stated 2 Kg capability.

I'm not volunteering mine for a test in any case.

Ooops.... :oops:

LOL my memory failed me tonight. (long hot day sorry) OK, you are correct the Phantom Vision+ weights 1.28 kg. Where I screwed up was the basic Water-Buoy can only lift 1.0 Kg, so you need TWO of them for the Phantom. The video test I mentioned was on Youtube. They were attempting to lift 4 pounds (1.81 kg) with TWO Water-Buoys.

http://youtu.be/iJ_UG7IxIJM

Dirty Bird said:
dezunka said:
And if you are flying over water... definitely invest in one of these: http://www.water-buoy.com/

Sorry for your loss!

I looked into the Water-Buoy. The concept is very cool. Trouble is it can only lift 2 kg of weight, (they do make two larger sized units, overkill for the Phantom) and the Phantom Vision+ weighs around 2.7-2.8 kg, so you would need TWO of them to provide sufficient buoyancy. The other problem was I watched video of a couple of guys testing them in 40' of water with 3 kg of weight (2 Water-Buoys attached). Even though the two units should have provided sufficient buoyancy to lift 4 kg, when 40' submerged, they did not have enough gas pressure to fully inflate, so the test weight never surfaced. They had a string attached so they could pull it up manually. As it approached the surface, they could see that the water pressure had kept the balloons from fully deploying and, as it got very near the surface, they did fully inflate and were able to support the 3 kg payload. Trouble is, if you don't have the string to pull it up... :shock:

Great concept but it needs work & more gas pressure. I would use a GetterBack instead. Weighs only .5 oz, works in depths to 100' depth, and the string is included. ;)

Is that like a comonback?

AllanVB said:
Is that like a comonback?

GetterBack Recovery System - www.getterback.com

IMAG0920.jpg

IMAG0931.jpg

Hi All,
I am a new P2V+ owner, I have about 10 successful flights under my belt. I still get that deep sinking feeling when I fly over water...working on it. But I just had a thought about water recovery while reading these posts. THere's a new product called Neverwet, there are video of other RC hobbyists using it to waterproof their electronics. Just a thought, what if we could open up the phantom and spray the internal components and maybe even the camera and gimble so in the even that there is an unintentional water landing and you use something like the getterback you might be able to get back in the air quickly with minimal repairs. Cheers all!

Here is a video of a servo working under water.

http://youtu.be/26M8-fruHbg

Intrigued with the idea of the GetterBack but just what could be salvageable after a few minutes in water? Also, is there any risk that the Lithium batteries could react with the water (yes, my chemistry class was a very long time ago!)?
:?

Gatordent said:
Hi All,
I am a new P2V+ owner, I have about 10 successful flights under my belt. I still get that deep sinking feeling when I fly over water...working on it. But I just had a thought about water recovery while reading these posts. THere's a new product called Neverwet, there are video of other RC hobbyists using it to waterproof their electronics. Just a thought, what if we could open up the phantom and spray the internal components and maybe even the camera and gimble so in the even that there is an unintentional water landing and you use something like the getterback you might be able to get back in the air quickly with minimal repairs. Cheers all!

Here is a video of a servo working under water.

http://youtu.be/26M8-fruHbg
Neverwet says on their website that it is not recommended for electronics.
Some RC enthusiasts have had good success with CorrosionX.

J.J.B. said:
Intrigued with the idea of the GetterBack but just what could be salvageable after a few minutes in water? Also, is there any risk that the Lithium batteries could react with the water (yes, my chemistry class was a very long time ago!)?
The battery is not Lithium metal but a lithium polymer so it would not react in the same way we saw in chemistry class. Water would almost certainly ruin the battery but batteries are cheap unless you are using the proprietary P2 ones.
Several users have been able to recover and fly Phantoms that sank in fresh water. If you open it up, remove all of the circuit boards and dry them in rice, they may work again. The motors are not bothered by water, although the bearings could start to rust if not dried quickly. if you are using a GoPro in the underwater housing, it would be fine of course.
Salt water would likely ruin everything. You might salvage the shell, landing gear, props, sd card etc.

J.J.B. said:

Most of the aircraft would likely be salvageable if you recover it quickly. Remember the creed: "No bird left behind!" :cool:

yali said:
rightoncue said:

I am wondering how the Vision + lost latitude quick ? what happened to it?

Vortex Ring State sounds like the most likely culrprit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

Also, I talked to DJI and they do not sell just the quad.

Any update on buying just the quad? I lost mine as well. Luckily, I had removed the camera. I'd like to buy a P2V+ or sell the camera to buy a P2.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie