lost my p2v+, bought another one but.....

Reaction score
well, my beloved p2v+ ran into the bush on a mountain during a ground station flight, I was so stupid i did non remind I could stop it, so it it is still somwhere in a unaccessible forest.
I went to buy another one the same day, the new one is a V3..
Immediately I faced troubles i did not have before on the previous one..

1: when i turn (yaw) it escapes away from its GPS position, while rotating it moves away some meters and then slowly returns to its original position when the rotation is over, i've tried with default gain paremeters as well as with some modified value, no luck, this is quite new to me..

2: I'm using the upgraded remote controller i used with the dead one, and also the same range extender (RE700), now the DJI app on my Android Asus smartphone is randomly going out of the video page by itself and return to the basic page, the one with camera, album, setting and news.. it happens at a rate of 20-30 seconds during flight, it's very annoying and intimidating..

any help? thanks

:D
Hi la_panza,
Why are you not using the transmitter that came with your new bird? Not sure that will matter, but it's worth a try.
The drifting is usually an indication you need to do a compass calibration. If it's just the yaw that causes the drift that can also be a firmware issue. Are you using the latest updates?

la_panza said:
well, my beloved p2v+ ran into the bush on a mountain during a ground station flight, I was so stupid i did non remind I could stop it, so it it is still somwhere in a unaccessible forest.
I went to buy another one the same day, the new one is a V3..
Immediately I faced troubles i did not have before on the previous one..

1: when i turn (yaw) it escapes away from its GPS position, while rotating it moves away some meters and then slowly returns to its original position when the rotation is over, i've tried with default gain paremeters as well as with some modified value, no luck, this is quite new to me..

2: I'm using the upgraded remote controller i used with the dead one, and also the same range extender (RE700), now the DJI app on my Android Asus smartphone is randomly going out of the video page by itself and return to the basic page, the one with camera, album, setting and news.. it happens at a rate of 20-30 seconds during flight, it's very annoying and intimidating..

any help? thanks

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30771

Skynew1's link is your hookup for the info.

But I would like to add that adjusting the Gain settings would be a last resort to a fine tune. I'd say you are much better to put it back, and use the info from the mentioned link. If you calibrate the compass and it still displays a wondering box while hovering, calibrate it again. Also, if it performs the way you feel it should after calibrating, take notice of what is shown on the bottom of the monitor before powering the quad. I'm referring to the distance, altitude, and speed. Each time you do a successful calibration these numbers are usually close to the last successful time of calibration.

I had a Asus hd memo tablet and had nothing but problems with it. I ended up returning it. My problems where the distance and height where way off , like 800'. Used my iPhone and ipad mini and never had any problems.
I would do like others said redo everything in assistant and do a advanced imu calibration. Then ten do a GPS calibration.

Monte55 said:
Don't feel too bad. I have had many of my questions ignored or answered with irrelevant remarks.

well, c'est la vie Monte55, but I urged to know if this is a Drone issue, a Firmware / Software issue or just a configuration problem, just to decide if I had to send the bird back for an RMA...

Fplvert said:
:D
Hi la_panza,
Why are you not using the transmitter that came with your new bird? Not sure that will matter, but it's worth a try.
The drifting is usually an indication you need to do a compass calibration. If it's just the yaw that causes the drift that can also be a firmware issue. Are you using the latest updates?

Hello, just one week before loosing the old bird, i bought an upgraded RC (the latest one with camera tilt knob), accurately calibrated it with RC assistant, adjusted the position of the phone holder, it is exactly the same as the one that came with the new phantom, so i paired it with the new drone, made calibrations again in Phantopm assistant, why should i use the old one if they are twins ? The reason of the drifting must something else than the RC in my opinion...

Moreover, I was in another town when I lost the P2V+, there are friends who promised they will keep searching the bush, so i left the other RC to them... I can't switch back to it even if i would :)

Skynet1 said:
any help? thanks

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30771[/quote]

thenks, I've read it, but unfortunately I was aware of al this tips, i've made advanced IMU calibration more than onece, and pay much attention to compass calibration, no luck so far.. during this week I did have not much time, hope to make more accurate tests tomorrow (sunday), also tweaking Gain values, as last resort...

flyNfrank said:

But I would like to add that adjusting the Gain settings would be a last resort to a fine tune. I'd say you are much better to put it back, and use the info from the mentioned link. If you calibrate the compass and it still displays a wondering box while hovering, calibrate it again. Also, if it performs the way you feel it should after calibrating, take notice of what is shown on the bottom of the monitor before powering the quad. I'm referring to the distance, altitude, and speed. Each time you do a successful calibration these numbers are usually close to the last successful time of calibration.

flyNfrank said:

Can you please indicate where to find a more exhaustive explanation of what the various gains are for? the short description shown in the Assistant software looks a little confusing to me.... thanks

Mori55 said:
I had a Asus hd memo tablet and had nothing but problems with it. I ended up returning it. My problems where the distance and height where way off , like 800'. Used my iPhone and ipad mini and never had any problems.
I would do like others said redo everything in assistant and do a advanced imu calibration. Then ten do a GPS calibration.

problems with the Asus seem to be vanished after the november 28 firmware update.... yow drift is still there though...

what do you mean by a GPS calibration?

For the first 3 minutes both drift as yours does, then it comes right, I do not touch/be clever in any way, I don't update or anything that I would have input doing, I do just the standard startup as recommended and put up with the little things that always happen. A little prayer at the start must help but there's no way to prove this as the odd time I didn't nothing different happened on that day either.

Can't help much with your problems but you are going to want to get a GPS tracker on your new one before it goes wandering. I just had a GPS tracker save my ***. Best $60 I ever spent.

This is the one I use (just 27g):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-V16-The-Smal ... 1033283911

Tracker_2.jpg

Most people spend the extra and buy a Flytrex. Much better option if you have a few more bucks.

la_panza said:
what do you mean by a GPS calibration?
He's confused.
There is no way to calibrate GPS.

The Phantom flies prefectly out of the box.
There is no need to change gains.
You should find out what is causing your problem rather than changing unrelated parameters and possibly causing other problems.

[quote="Meta4"
There is no way to calibrate GPS.

The Phantom flies prefectly out of the box.
There is no need to change gains.
You should find out what is causing your problem rather than changing unrelated parameters and possibly causing other problems.[/quote]

You are surely right, as a matter of fact my previous one never needed to change the default value.. but... then?
what can I do? what kind of tests should I make to identify this issue, more than calibrating RC, IMU and compass before every flight? Now the video behaviour on my Asus is excellent, no lost frame or page closing, video never "stutters" even from several hundred meters away... this magic was done by updating the central controller unit firmware on November 28.... Can I hope yaw trouble also to finish with a next firmware release? Or should I pray or start a shamanic "yaw dance"? :)

la_panza said:
....now the DJI app on my Android Asus smartphone is randomly going out of the video page by itself and return to the basic page, the one with camera, album, setting and news.. it happens at a rate of 20-30 seconds during flight, it's very annoying and intimidating..

any help? thanks

I have had this issue along with a few other people on this forum. I reported it to DJI support and they did nothing with it. With me, it seems to happen when I have Dynamic Home Link turned on, but I cannot be certain. I am using a Samsung Tab S 8.4. The email address of the support person is: Sophie.Zhang (DJI) <[email protected]>. maybe if you send you issue to her she may understand that its not an isolated issue.

I have an older P2V+. It's always drifted a little when yawing. Yawing is hard for quad's I'm told. The hardest thing they have to do in fact. If it's not a huge deal for you, don't sweat over it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj