Lost in a Tree

Reaction score
Hi all. This doesn't look good for me. I was flying my P4 an hour ago and used the RTH button to bring it home. It flew home as it has done many times but, when it got to my yard, it didn't drop down in the clearing (open yard) but rather dropped into the trees. When I realized that it wasn't adjusting into the clear area, I attempted to manually gain altitude but it was either not responding or was already trapped in the canopy (I had the camera facing straight down).

I am not sure exactly which tree it is in as the canopy is dense. I am attempting to narrow it down with the remote. On my screen I have three icons, a blue dot, a red triangle (looks a little like a red paper airplane) and green dot with the letter "H" in it. I assume that the "H" is the landing spot, the blue dot is the P4 and the red triangle is the remote (me). It rotated, but didn't appear to change the proximity of the three icons.

Any advice at all, would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Drew

Also, not sure if you know about this, but you can set the return to home altitude on the app. That way it fly's high enough to avoid obstacles around the home point. My yard is surrounded by tall oak trees. I use the altitude feature to clear the trees. It has never failed me, it fly's over the trees and drops down straight into the clearing every time!!

Also, not sure if you know about this, but you can set the return to home altitude on the app. That way it fly's high enough to avoid obstacles around the home point. My yard is surrounded by tall oak trees. I use the altitude feature to clear the trees. It has never failed me, it fly's over the trees and drops down straight into the clearing every time!!
Thanks, Angelo. It had landed fine in that spot dozens of times. I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the heck happened!. I lost the signal now. I have a neighbor who owns a drone coming by to give it look from the top-down. I also have a tree guy coming tomorrow with shoe-spikes to climb up and (hopefully) find it. I hope that it isn't ruined. FML...

look tonight might see blinking lights

I hope the battery holds up to keep the lights blinking.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Remember consumer gps is +- 30 feet.
Open up your flights on the dji go app and zoom into its last location and see if that helps any. create an account with healthy drones and upload the flight log, then find the last flight and it will give you the last known location latitude and longitude, open up Google maps and see if that is any help.
I wish you the best, hope you find it and in good condition
Btw, just should have cancelled rth via RC

FOUND IT!!! It was on the ground in my neighbor's yard two-doors down. The annoying part is that the RTH feature just didn't work. I've had this for less than a month. I'm calling them and asking them to replace or fix it.

Reactions: DocStinky313
FOUND IT!!! It was on the ground in my neighbor's yard two-doors down. The annoying part is that the RTH feature just didn't work. I've had this for less than a month. I'm calling them and asking them to replace or fix it.
nice you found it good luck with customer support

Reactions: Zuzua
Glad you found it!! I went to fly mine a bit ago. Now all of a sudden after numerous flight over the last month i lose radio signal at less that 600 ft. I was able to go out over 2000 ft yesterday and all the other flights. Not sure whats happening :(

all ends well, but you should be watching it and not trusting the RTH as its a failsafe backup.. learn the settings and more about the p4 is your best option.
If you took off to early or reset the HP while flying over the neighbors that will explain it better.. check your logs and all records on the app to see what went wrong so you will be ready next time :)
Where is the HOME POINT when you play back the flight log on the app?
The red triangle is the phantom, blue dot is the remote and yes H is the set home point if that helps

Yes agree with last comment. RTH is not fool proof. It will deviate slightly off. Remember the satellites are not stationary. Neither is our planet. Therefore it will deviate from the original space eventually. Always keep an eye on it so you can adjust accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1