Lost FPV after crash

Reaction score
So my phantom 2 was returning home on low battery when it dropped out of the air at about 12 feet and landed on very soft grass but still took a hit.

I have an FPV setup with the black pearl, gopro hero 3, zenmuse h3-3d gimbal and iosd mini.

So after the crash I haven't been able to get video to the monitor. The mini usb video output ribbon cable looks fine. There does appear to be a very, very...very small knick in the ribbon cable running through the zenmuse gimbal. Could this be my problem? Would appreciate your thought before I take the gimbal apart and start ordering parts. Thanks!

When you listed the parts for your FPV, you left out your TX. What do you use to send video to your Black Pearl? Whatever it is, check it out for damage. Check the antenna connection. How is the antenna oriented? Did it bend on impact? Maybe the antenna connector got bent or knocked loose? Also, get a magnifying glass and check out the ribbon cable again. I'm a computer tech, and I've seen even the smallest nick in a ribbon cable screw it up.

So my phantom 2 was returning home on low battery when it dropped out of the air at about 12 feet and landed on very soft grass but still took a hit.

I have an FPV setup with the black pearl, gopro hero 3, zenmuse h3-3d gimbal and iosd mini.

So after the crash I haven't been able to get video to the monitor. The mini usb video output ribbon cable looks fine. There does appear to be a very, very...very small knick in the ribbon cable running through the zenmuse gimbal. Could this be my problem? Would appreciate your thought before I take the gimbal apart and start ordering parts. Thanks!

Just read another post and I did update my gopro firmware before I flew the phantom 2 again.

More than likely you have a damaged ribbon cable but turn the P2 and check the TX to see if it powers up. Upgrading you GoPro has nothing to do with losing the video as it was working before the hard landing was it not.

Thanks for the input so far. Forgot to mention I am using the clover antenas. I don't think it is the antenas since even without them it should transmit if I'm right next to it. I read that someone lost FPV after updating the gopro, after the crash I updated the firmware before flying again but I'm not sure if I lost FPV when it crashed since (stupid me) just went over and shut everything off.

Thanks for the input so far. Forgot to mention I am using the clover antenas. I don't think it is the antenas since even without them it should transmit if I'm right next to it. I read that someone lost FPV after updating the gopro, after the crash I updated the firmware before flying again but I'm not sure if I lost FPV when it crashed since (stupid me) just went over and shut everything off.

It is not a good idea to turn on power with an antenna connected to the transmitter unless you what to shell out money for a replacement.

Yes I have read the same articles about updating the GoPro's but more than likely it's a damaged ribbon cable and not the camera to blame for the problems. Think about your statement it was working before the crash. Did you upgrade the GoPro after the crash because it wouldn't work thinking if you updated it would work again.

There is a LED on both the TX and gimbal (LED on the backside of the camera mount) which will turn on when you power up the P2. If both are lite then replace the ribbon cable. If you bought the P2 new it came with a spare ribbon if not order a couple.

I updated the gopro after the crash because I downloaded the app and had to change the wifi. The next time I flew after the crash was after the update.

Sadly I think it is the ribbon cable. Thanks for the help.

I updated the gopro after the crash because I downloaded the app and had to change the wifi. The next time I flew after the crash was after the update.

Sadly I think it is the ribbon cable. Thanks for the help.

Flying with the GoPro's wifi turned on is a very bad idea which can cause you to lose control of the P2. Turn you camera on to record before powering up the P2 sure there will be footage there you don't want be for liftoff but it can be edited out.

Thanks Jason, I know not to use the wifi with the P2, only got it for when I use my gopro seperately. Also thanks for letting me know about the antenas, that is something I never knew.

Thanks everyone, this has been a big help since I jumped from an H8D to a P2. Half of me didn't expect any replies but this is by far the best app I've downloaded all you. Thanks again.

Also forgot to mention of of the motors in the gimbal, can't tell exactly which, sounds a bit rough. I'm assuming because of the crash but does anyone know exactly why? Has the motor burnt out? Shifted out of place? The knick in the ribbon cable? I'm going to order a cheap working used gimbal for parts so it's no big deal.

Also forgot to mention of of the motors in the gimbal, can't tell exactly which, sounds a bit rough. I'm assuming because of the crash but does anyone know exactly why? Has the motor burnt out? Shifted out of place? The knick in the ribbon cable? I'm going to order a cheap working used gimbal for parts so it's no big deal.

This is the cable ribbon cable that goes into the camera. But if you mean the gimbals ribbon cable that operates all the motors that is a possibility. So which cable has the nick in it? Is it the the one that plugs into the side of the camera or the cable under the tilt motor??

Yes the nick is in the motor ribbon cable, the video output ribbon cable appears fine. I should get a micro usb - micro usb cable to test it but my island doesn't have one in stock.

Yes the nick is in the motor ribbon cable, the video output ribbon cable appears fine. I should get a micro usb - micro usb cable to test it but my island doesn't have one in stock.

Well that gimbal should be sent to an authorized dealer how has a service center. Or sent it to DJI and wait.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj