Lost footage on SD card - HELP -

Reaction score
Today I went out with my Phantom vision 2 with Taco gimbal to try and get the gimbal working better. When I got home I plugged the expensive micro SD card into an adapter then into my MacBook Pro via USB to view the footage, it took me over 2 hours to get!!! After plugged into Mac I got to look at the first couple videos via QuickTime, then I got a "you did not eject SD properly" type message on my Mac and when I tried to put the SD card in again to view, the folder names were there, BUT NO VIDEOS. It took me very long to get the footage and now it looks like it's all gone! Everything on my SD card GONE!!! I tired to put into my PC to see if that would work, but the files are corrupt.
u8y6eha7.jpg

Can not properly ejecting the SD card on my MacBook cause this??? Any ideas???? In one hell of a pickle here boys, pissed! How do I get all the footage back???!!

That happens to me at times when I forget to stop recording before shutting down the camera. I also have one 32GB card that I have to use an adapter on. If I plug the card alone into the reader it gives me that message. I have to plug it into a regular size SD card adapter and it works fine.

I also tend to format the card before each flying session now. Make sure to copy anything you want off the card first as formatting erases everything.

Computers. Go figure!

What MBP do you have?
The one I have has a SD card reader,
all you would need is a flu size SD card adapter and it will be much faster than using a USB
adapter that might be at USB1 speeds.

And pulling gout a SD card out of any computer with out properly ejecting it from the OS

on the mac dragging the desktop icon to the trash.
on th windows box it depends on what version of windows and I am not a windows person.

Also if you forget to stop the recording by the app before shutdown of the craft it will not finalize the file and you won't be able to read it.

just put the card back in the camera and power up the craft was normal and wait 2 min and shut it down.
if there are any un finalized video files on the card the camera will repair the file but you will loose 10 seconds or so from the end of the video, also it will make the creation date of the file a strange date like 2008.

hope this helps.

Here is my set up
uvymuzu6.jpg

I am going to put the SD card back into the phantom and see what happens.... I know turning off the phantom will not finalize it, but I had like 15 movies from weeks of flying before that was all erased too...

I had the same issue a a few times, like the other poster said, Can happen if you dont stop recording properly.
Feed gets cut off. Ever since i made sure to hit the stop recording button before turning off my controller or p2v.
You might be able to try find some sort of software for recovering corrupt video files. Try google it i am not sure.

See if you can find a program called "Recuva". It is good for recovering files.

There is a program called Icare Recovery, but it costs $70!

If you have a spare memory card and could mail it to me, I could run one or both and try to recover them and mail it back to you.

Whatever you do, don't write anything else to that card. IT will over write the files.

darwin-t said:
See if you can find a program called "Recuva". It is good for recovering files.

There is a program called Icare Recovery, but it costs $70!

If you have a spare memory card and could mail it to me, I could run one or both and try to recover them and mail it back to you.

Whatever you do, don't write anything else to that card. IT will over write the files.

Thanks for the offer!!! I just said F it and filmed footage again. The problem came directly from not properly stopping the recording.

Try companies doing professional data recovery. They have tools that are not available to the public. Usually they charge only on success. (Big $$$ however) If your footage worth it, you have nothing to loose at trying them. Be careful that they are really who they say they are. Data recovery is a serious business that is not carried out by your local PC Shop.
Hope it helps.

Sad you lost all your videos. Put this experience under lesson learned the hard way. I always pull all videos off the card as soon as I can. That way I will never loose days of video. I did forget once to stop recording but I followed what has been stated on this forum and only lost 10 seconds of one video.

Do you have a proper backup plan for your important data? Put a backup software that supports Windows and Mac. Configure all user's important data for backup, and schedule it atleast daily. Even you may go for offsite replication data to cloud. This is the normal backup practice in all organisations. Have you tried Disk Drill yet? It is by far one of the best solution for recovering lost

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic