Lost Drone just south of Paradise Cove, Malibu, CA

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I was flying on Sunday down at my favorite beach, I went out a bit to sea, but didn't realize how strong the wind was, so I couldn't make it all the way back, but was able to make it to the beach with 7% battery left. My plan was just to land it there and then walk down the beach to grab it. However just as I began to land it, I lost connection. I ran over to the beach imaging it would just auto land it self. But never found it.

Here is a photo of it's last know location. I have a feeling someone on the beach saw it land and grabbed it before I could get there. If anyone has any info, would be very appreciated!!

Thank you!

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 521
Hey everyone,

So I was flying on Sunday down at my favorite beach, I went out a bit to sea, but didn't realize how strong the wind was, so I couldn't make it all the way back, but was able to make it to the beach with 7% battery left. My plan was just to land it there and then walk down the beach to grab it. However just as I began to land it, I lost connection. I ran over to the beach imaging it would just auto land it self. But never found it.

Here is a photo of it's last know location. I have a feeling someone on the beach saw it land and grabbed it before I could get there. If anyone has any info, would be very appreciated!!

Thank you!
That sucs,,,best of luck

Reactions: wes4syth
Yeah, that sucks, would still like to see your log.
If you had a Marco-Polo on it, and if they didn't shut it off, you may of had a chance of following it, also a Tile or a TrackR if in populated areas.

any way of tracking a lost phantom? or stolen....

Search Results for Query: tracking | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Upload your flight to,
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Rod

Yeah didn't have a tracker on it unfortunately.

Here is the log: Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

@wes4syth,
Hey your new today.

Welcome to the forum!
What model of Phantom?

Um, be ready to be Bashed, your Distance and Elevation, Scary.

Your 50 mph speeds away from you wow, you know most hwy s are 55. :eek:
And at that elevation, I'm surprised it made it back as far as it did.

So I have not had Phantom with different modes, were you switching to Sport mode, to gain speed?

When it was in Auto Landing were you still pressing the the stick forward and that's why you still had speeds of 12 Mph?

Were you switching to Sport mode, to disrupt the Auto Landing?

As for as I understand, once it goes into Auto Landing you have no control it just sits down at the location.

Rod

Thanks mate,

Phantom 4.

Yeah man, well I've pushed my phantom much more than that before haha. I like to enjoy it and push it, no regrets :) Those are the kinds of speeds I need to create these epic hyper lapses that I have been doing lately. (I'm a filmmaker)

My only mistake was that I didn't consider how much the wind would effect my journey back. If the wind was calmer, it would have been smooth sailing.

Yeah was switching to sport mode to increase speed, no once it goes into auto landing you still have control over it, it just slowly lowers in altitude by itself. So I was just trying to get it as close to me as I could, so I wouldn't have to go to far down the beach to find it. After looking at the log, I think I may need to go back to the beach and search in the nearby bushes.

Yeah, let us know what you find.

The log can sure give a better Idea were to look.

When my P3S hit critical all I could do was watch it descend.

So if you zoom in I think its in the Hot Tub.

Speeds like that, next time I'm at Pacific City, Or.

Send it on up.

Rod

One more thought,
14m 32s 5.515.4'
14m 33s 5,498.2'
1 second = 14.2'
14.2' ft per second

13m 59s 6,149'
14m 35s 5,465.1'
36 seconds = 683.9'
19 ft per second.

Say about 15' per second.
10 seconds 150'
20 seconds 300'
30 seconds 450'
40 seconds 600'
50 seconds 750'
60 seconds 900'

Look at the distance of the last to dots on the log viewer, 680' in 35 seconds look at that distance for another 30 seconds.

I guess we could figure out when it would be down to 0' from 78' also.

Anybody else?

Rod

Last edited:
One more thought,
14m 32s 5.515.4'
14m 33s 5,498.2'
1 second = 14.2'
14.2' ft per second

13m 59s 6,149'
14m 35s 5,465.1'
36 seconds = 683.9'
19 ft per second.

Say about 15' per second.
10 seconds 150'
20 seconds 300'
30 seconds 450'
40 seconds 600'
50 seconds 750'
60 seconds 900'

Anybody else?

Rod

What does this mean?

Sorry, I was still editing my post, if was 20 seconds in the air and if was still headed toward you after you lost the data stream from the Phantom.
It Could be another 300' to the East.
I think a lot. :)

Rod

Aww man.... Sorry to hear about this.... But their has been so many stories about drones going missing and getting reunited again (including myself) so don't give up just yet. A few things you could do

*check for any near buildings with CCTV
*hand out lots of flyers
*put up lots of posters
*check selling sites
*ask people... Word travels around quickly when someone hears about a drone landing

Most important of all. Don't give up [emoji6]

Sorry, I was still editing my post, if was 20 seconds in the air and if was still headed toward you after you lost the data stream from the Phantom.
It Could be another 300' to the East.
I think a lot. :)

Rod

Oh cool! Thanks man, you're a legend

Reactions: RodPad
Oh cool! Thanks man, you're a legend
You can Ki** my A** if you find-it! ;)

Even if don't find-it, hope you come back here.

I learned most from:
@Meta4, @msinger
There is couple of others, dang, well when I remember. :rolleyes:

Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers