Lost contact while filming a boat...

Reaction score
Had my first major scare after a 1 1/2 years with the P2. Looking for suggestions...
First, my setup is
Phantom 2
NAZA Mode
H4-3D Gimbal
GoPro 4
No FPV...(always have flown by line of sight)

So I was flying in GPS mode out at Norris Lake in Tennessee, getting a lot of wake surfing and boat shots. I was in a boat. No problems all day (nor on a previous trip here a month ago) until at the end of the day. I was following the boat at maybe 20 miles per hour, and had been in the air for probably 5 to 8 minutes on a fully charged battery.

All of a sudden, the Phantom stops in mid air and our boat of course keeps going. At that point I start noticing that I can rotate the phantom as well as slowly rise or lower it...but I can't move it from it's location. It just seemed stuck. We got up under it and noticed it was giving me flashing red lights. I've had this happen before on a bad battery...but I was still able to control the phantom. This was the first time I've ever seemed to have totally lost contact with it. I didn't want to initiate 'return to home' since I had launched it over water. We luckily were able to get under it and I grabbed it.

I got home and checked the battery through the Assistant Software and everything seems to be fine. What the heck happened? Interference? GPS Problem? What would cause me to be able to control it in some aspects (such as rotating) but not in others, (such as moving forward and backward)? Any ideas?
thanks!
-Michael
www.youtube.com/mikeisi

You have probably hit the distance limit.. the limit set in the app that you can fly from your home point.

When you hit the limit is just stops in mid air with flashing reds.
If you had FPV with IOSD mini you would have seen the distance to home point marker.

Reactions: 750r
You have probably hit the distance limit.. the limit set in the app that you can fly from your home point.

When you hit the limit is just stops in mid air with flashing reds.
If you had FPV with IOSD mini you would have seen the distance to home point marker.

Oh Wow! I've never known that. Is there anyway to adjust that limit in the assistant software? Thanks for the message.
-Michael

Yep it happened to me , I was out 1,600 M going for long rang and it was like I hit a wall I could spin , move the camera but couldn't go farther but I could bring it back so I did . I forgot I set the limit to 1,600 M ( 1 mile ) cause I thought id never pass that distance anyway ( until I got FPVLR antennas ) anyhow I increased it to 3 miles ( don't think i'll go that far ) now I've gone to 2,200 M before RTH kicked in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31