Lost connection!

Reaction score
Well I will include a video to show you why and when I lost the connection with my drone... The problem it happened again in a different location but in very similar situation! I was at the bottom of a hill when it overpass it the connection is gone!!! Why is that? is it because I didn't have much of a height or is it because I had only 15satelaties.? well will be solved if I got the item that makes more strong the signal.
I must inform you that when I lost it at the video I realize that I had the antennas down and opened at all.. but the next day in a similar situation much closer to distance and with the antennas opened... the signal has been lost. Both of the days I was near (about 3-5 km) to the top of a mountain where many of TV, mobile and other transmitters, antennas etc exists...

is there some other tests I can do (safer) to test if there is a problem with the signal of the drone ??
please give me your advice... should I be worried?
I must mention that each time the drone successfully comes back!

at the video I am at the turn of the road you see when it begins (go to the specific moment 8:16 where the incident occurred)

... I was at the bottom of a hill when it overpass it the connection is gone!!! Why is that? is it because I didn't have much of a height or is it because I had only 15satelaties.?

GPS (and the number of tracked satellites) has nothing to do with your radio link.

I must inform you that when I lost it at the video I realize that I had the antennas down and opened at all...

...I was near (about 3-5 km) to the top of a mountain where many of TV, mobile and other transmitters, antennas etc exists...

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you don't understand the limitations of your radio controller. Please watch this tutorial video:

In a nutshell; you need an unobstructed line of sight originating from your radio controller all the way to the aircraft, also you must stay clear away from any other possible sources of radio interference such as cell/radio towers.

Reactions: azgeek and gcop33
Well I will include a video to show you why and when I lost the connection with my drone... The problem it happened again in a different location but in very similar situation! I was at the bottom of a hill when it overpass it the connection is gone!!! Why is that? is it because I didn't have much of a height or is it because I had only 15satelaties.? well will be solved if I got the item that makes more strong the signal.
I must inform you that when I lost it at the video I realize that I had the antennas down and opened at all.. but the next day in a similar situation much closer to distance and with the antennas opened... the signal has been lost. Both of the days I was near (about 3-5 km) to the top of a mountain where many of TV, mobile and other transmitters, antennas etc exists...
There isn't much information here to be able to tell what your issue is.
There's a possibility that you may have had poor antenna orientation - see the video recommended above.
If you post your flight data it may be possible to see if where you were flying was a factor.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

I watched his video; he's down in a valley at the side of a road flanked by a Forrest / trees and flies his phantom over the crest of a wooded hill.

I'm surprised it flew as well (and as far) as it did.

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

well thanks everyone for their answers... I just thought that I would be able to travel it a little further without watching it directly... but its not possible as I understand. I saw a video that someone flue his mavic 4km and it dont loose the signal.. and since I saw the specification of the drone showing that it can fly around 3-4 km away I thought that it would be easy! its a little bit difficult to find an open space that you will be able to have an avoided contact with your drone.. :( thank you guys for the infos... I learned how to export the flighing records... :)

Seeing that you're in Europe; Mavic's CE specifications is slightly better then the P4P (so arguably slightly better range).

However, it's certainly as restricted as the p4p when it comes to general radio control practices (such as flying behind obstacles being a no-no).

Also, range endurance videos are mostly misleading because they generally take place in near optimal conditions.

Anyway glad you've learned something today and fly safe :)

It sounds like you have good advice above. Another consideration is that if you do use range extenders, they work by narrowly focusing the emitted signals. When using them, you really need to keep the antenna directed toward your drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It sounds like you have good advice above. Another consideration is that if you do use range extenders, they work by narrowly focusing the emitted signals. When using them, you really need to keep the antenna directed toward your drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
When you say range extenders are you referring to the parabolic style that slip over the factory antennas?

When you say range extenders are you referring to the parabolic style that slip over the factory antennas?
Yes he does, AKA windsurfers.

Good analogy to using those is to think your radio controller as a flashlight (or torch to our British friends) and the windsurfers as the reflective back piece behind the flashlight bulb. It provides more (brighter) light downrange at the cost of narrowing your effective beam. I.E. you now must be more concious of aiming the beam in the general direction of the reciever/drone.

What I plan to do is fly without the range extender most of the time so that I have more freedom in terms of my body position and the direction of my controller. When, and if, my signal strength indicator says my signal strength needs a boost, I will mount the extender and very carefully aim the antenna toward the drown's position to get it back. If that fails, then I would need to rely on the Phantom's RTH capability to take over.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1