Lost connection when I turn on motors

Reaction score
Any experience with a PV2+ losing wifi when turning on the motors. First I thought it might be the phone but I've tried on 3 different devices now. Ruled that out. Next I updated all firmware and rebound the wifi extender and the camera/module. Next I viewed the wifi connection directly in settings and watched as the signal went from full bars to disconnected on each device. All the usual settings in the phone were set not to search or connect to other wifis and cell data was also turned off just in case.

Any ideas?

I am thinking wifi extender or maybe the transmitter in the bird itself?

The only thing customer service says is to send it in with no idea on a price....As you all know these units are appearing to fail at an alarming rate and I don't want to dump $400-$500 into it, when I can move on for about double that.

Thanks everyone in advance
Tony

Hey Tony,
Very interesting problem, I've been racking my brain since yesterday about it! I LOVE. A good challenge!

Can you tell me a bit more about the craft?

Did you buy it new or used?

The problem is quite unusual? Could be a string of issues, from ghz issue, to bad connection somewhere, to power issue,to faulty equipment!

But I'll need more info to track down the problem.

Things like what ghz is your Tx?
Will the fpv stay on, for as long as you want as long as motors are not on?

Or has all startups been identical? ( i.e. You always start motors within 3 minutes of turning on battery? Or have you done any time tests? )
Reason I ask, is the early version ( v2 ) wifi modules, are not vented, and are prone to overheating. There is a Arctic silver ( thermal paste ) mod to help with heat issue. And these will usually work for a few minutes before shutting down due to overheat, some test by placing their crafts in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes before they try and get longer run before overheating. If this is the issue, I'd recommend the mod, or a v3 ( vented ) case, and swap your circuitry to the new vented case. Before it goes out for good.

Also could be a loose wire or connection somewhere, and vibration from motors, causing the short, or disconnect.?

Or a power issue on mainboard, when motors start, causes the cam ports to produce less than 5vdc, causing wifi to be underpowered and shutdown?

Could be a number of things?

I'm more than happy to help, let me know,

J Dot
:cool:

OK, Here goes.

I bought a brand new PV2plus 2 years ago. I use is pretty regular as I do TV news and I use it just to kill some time and keep the batteries cycling and my skills up. Just after Thanksgiving I pulled it out to shoot something and had the dreaded no video feed issue. After all the research here I surmised the module was bad and ordered a modded one from a good guy on ebay. While pulling mine...I noticed it was the vented style so this issue isn't limited to the non vented style. I bound the unit and all looked good. I had picture, telemetry and I walked outside and fired up. As soon as I start the motors I lose connection. I have tested the length of time theory. I get connection for a long time and fpv...only after turning on the motors do I get the drop off. It's definitely no longer transmitting wifi as I can see the bars disappear in multiple devices at once.

I was thinking maybe the wifi extender at first but like you say there are so many things it could be. I have everything stock so I'm not sure of the tx frequency of the controller...I do have full telemetry during this issue through the controller.

Prior to the module issue I would get a very intermittent drop in connection which I just attributed to interference since it was so sporadic.

I don't think it's the same module issue since my symptoms were the same inside and outside where it's been cold and windy during my issue. I did do all of this on 2 different fully charged batteries.

It's very frustrating. I had a plane crash and a large fire that I had footage requests for and had to say no. Time to buy a backup I guess. Suffice to say my backup won't have a 3 letter name.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Tony

Oh Bummer Tony,
Have you opened it up, to inspect all connectors, ect.?

Also what firmware you running?

Do you have a volt meter?

J Dot

I opened it up when I swapped the modules out. Actually twice. Everything looks tight and in place. I do have a volt meter. My firmware is all up to date as per the assistant 3.8 program. I just double checked that.

tony

I just don't want to box it up and send it to California to find out it'll be another $500 to fix it. I already shelled out over $200 for the module. I would've bailed on this already but all of my 333 paperwork is for this craft and I am looking to fix her up before giving up. It may be time to find a more reliable company with some customer service more readily available to work on 2 year old equipment.

Hey Tony,
Sorry been busy, ok
Can you open phantom and take several DETAILED pictures of any and all wiring, so I can see what's going on, also on your CAM port on the mainboard of the bird, does your connector match the connector on wire? I noticed that the plus models went from a 5 port cam port, to a 6 port cam port. ( you might have a 6 port board, with a 5 port plug, and it might be inserted wrong. ) I've seen it before.

Also if you have a volt meter,
I'd start testing stuff
( never plug or unplug ANYTHING, with battery on! )
Unplug first, then turn on battery, turn off to plug back in.

Test stuff like:

Battery voltage with battery on ( but not in bird ) 11.1vdc
( terminal closest to the 2 COM PADS, is NEG, one farthest away is POS )
Then insert battery ( phantom open, no top or props ) test mainboard power leads, should be 11.1vdc
Then test again with motors engaged

Then start testing ( zenmuse, CAM, and FAN ports ) on phantom mainboard

Same ( once with motors off, next with motors on )
Should be the same.

If all checks out ( motors on/ motors off )
Than mainboard is good

Then hook up cam/gimbal, and unplug one plug at a time on the wifi unit, test the cable ( motors on or off )

Might be a faulty gimbal board causing power drop to wifi unit, as it piggybacks power from gimbal.

This should let you know if there is a power dropout somewhere?

Honestly,
Sounds like a loose connection, or something like that to me, look at each connector CLOSELY, make sure NO PINS, are backing out, or loose from connector, also check that connector is not cracked or damaged. ( possibly making bad connection )

Have you tried a new cable set?
If any of those wires are broken in the shielding somewhere, the smallest vibration, could cause the short?

Let us know?
J Dot

Wasn't this an issue from a while back of the early days of the P2V+, sure I read it in here somewhere, wasn't the answer to improve the shielding of the GPS unit.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Excellent point Crash,
It has been so long, I forgot about RF interference!
Lol

Simple test,
Remove top shell, twist and set off the side ( still plugged in )
Then try with motors on ( PROPS OFF ) see if fpv fails?

If not, do like crash explained, shield your GPS, and wire, with copper tape, or aluminum!

Let us know.

A+ Crash!

J Dot

I'll try all of these things...on the last point about the gps...I've been flying this for 2 years on a pretty regular basis. Summer and winter without issue. Is this something that comes up or is there from the beginning?

thanks again for all the input guys.

Tony

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31