Lost but found "a leap of faith" thank you fellow posters!

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, flying and Phantoms having purchased my first practice fly toy about a month back and taking my Phantom 1 for it's first flight about 10 days ago. All was going very well until this AM during a quick flight when I got a little cocky and disoriented then lost sight of my quad against a light gray sky at about 400 yards; or more accurately I was distracted for a split second and my eyes got tricked into believing my Phantom was another speck that turned out to be a soaring turkey vulture.
My wife was immediately distraught. I wasn't much better off especially considering the GoPro strapped to the belly was borrowed.
I immediately recalled two accounts I read recently and decided to give them a try. The first was "just let go of the sticks" there was certainly no sense in me trying to control what I couldn't see. I then tried some slight elevation changes to see if either my wife or I could locate the quad. When that didn't work I went to a last ditch effort and to use the quote I recall from the thread I can't find "I took a leap of faith and turned off my transmitter" . . . . . . . and waited . . . . . . . and waited . . . . . . . for what seemed like a really, really long time before my wife yelled out "I hear it" and there it was driving itself back at a pretty lazy pace.
Now I don't know if there was another way to activate the homing feature. I'm not complaining mind you, the thing came back and landed itself exactly where it started off but I would have appreciated getting control of it again since I was flying at the dog park and I didn't want them or it getting hurt.
Bottom line though is it worked which was way cool after reading about all the fly-aways and watching all the you-tube video mishaps. My own video isn't that interesting - while attempting a 180 degree return I managed to do a 360 and then in a panic I turned an additional 90 degrees.
Thank you Phantom Pilots - the manual certainly didn't have the information I needed to same my as$ today.

Re: Lost but found "a leap of faith" thank you fellow poster

I dont know if this works with a P1 as it does with a P2...I read somewhere that enabling IOC and Home Lock makes the craft return at near full speed. Dont think it lands but you can always go back into GPS. This is all un experienced by me and I could be wrong on some points.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

With home lock you can bring it back to yourself, but you'll have to guess what your altitude is. RTH will also come back to you at 20 meters off the ground. Home lock will bring it back at whatever your current altitude is, so if you don't know high your flying, it could be a bit dangerous. You want to be high enough you're clear of obstructions, but low enough you can easily see it. If you're unsure of your altitude, RTH is probably better. Home Lock is great if you can see it but don't know which way it's pointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My suggestion is know your options and set them up in the software. Be sure to turn on IOC so you have homelock. That way if you do know your height, you can just switch to HL and pull back on the right stick. Second (and failing that option) I've always hated the idea of turning off the transmitter... so set your second Atti mode to "failsafe". That way you can flip the right switch to the bottom Atti mode and it'll go into failsafe mode. You can regain control quickly and easily that way by just flipping it back up to GPS.

Mike

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20