Lost App Control

Reaction score
So I just took my P3S for a quick flight. I was at an alt of 350' directly above me and all the sudden the DJI app lost connection. I could still control the bird, but I couldn't land. I am using an iPad mini on the RC, so I quickly grabbed my phone to see if the app could connect via the app on it. Nothing worked. I could even connect to the Phantom wifi. I ended up turning off the RC and the bird landed, by this time I brought the bird down to about 4' above my sidewalk.

Has anyone ever ran into this before and if so what was the root cause?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reception is the poorest when flying directly overhead. It'll help if you position the antenna with the long side pointed at your Phantom:

P3-Antenna-Position-Single.jpg

Reactions: Pharm
I've done this prob 4-5 dozen times in the past month or so, sun sets are my wife's favorite so I always get some good pics for her. I probably wasn't directly under it, but about 25-30' "behind" it.

One other note, the light on the RC went Red rather than Green.

If you upload your TXT flight log here, it might give you some more information about what happened. Post a link back here if you'd like others to review it too.

I just went through the process of downloaded the flight log to my Mac, was able to register and upload via health drones and now I'm stuck. How do I post the flight log here?

Upload the TXT file here. After uploading your log, you'll be sent to a page where you can view it. Copy and paste the URL of that page here.

Yes, it worked. Please upload your TXT file here instead. My log viewer will show more detail than Healthy Drones.

You said you were still able to control it. How were you controlling it?

What happened when you tried to land?

Yes I was still able to use the RC to control all movements. I quickly brought the bird down to about 4' above my sidewalk. I wasn't able to use the app to land, but I switched off the RC and turned it back on and it automatically landed. I have no idea how it even did that or why. I was panicking just trying to figure out how I was going to land it without the app.

Your log was showing a bunch of "Strong Interference Detected. Be careful when flying long distances." messages near the end of your log. I'm assuming that's also when you were trying to auto land. It sounds like you had a radio signal (since you could control it via the remote controller), but no Wi-Fi signal.

If this happens again, just hold down the left stick to descend and land it manually.

That's exactly what I did in regards to landing other than completely landing using the left stick. I'm looking for a root cause though. It's a little scary when the app becomes discounted at 350'. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I was much farther away from me in distance. Flying drones is supposed to be fun and relaxing, now every time I fly I have to worry about crashing and ruining my bird.

To be honest I think you always have to have the idea in the back of your mind that something could go wrong. When you let your guard down is when you could have the highest chance to not get your bird back safely.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: MarkEt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.