Lost another one...

N017RW

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Gene Cernan died today.
He was 82 and the last man to step off the Moon.
We have now lost the first and last moonwalkers with only 6 of the 12 left.

anyone know if he was in antartica recently. seems to be a lot of figures showing up down there lately.
I think it is the other stargate, wife thinks it is the tranformers.

No. That was Buzz Aldrin. Neil Armstrong's lunar module pilot and second man to walk on moon. Apollo 11. Yea I'm an Apollo nerd.

No. That was Buzz Aldrin. Neil Armstrong's lunar module pilot and second man to walk on moon. Apollo 11. Yea I'm an Apollo nerd.
My mom HATED nasa. "Yes dear, you can stay up and watch the gemini launch". 2 am and still not off the pad.
I never could understand why 13 didn't put on the suites for insulation if nothing else. With everything off, the extra bulk isn't an issue.

Can't answer with authority but it is likely related to room, comfort, and mobility. I will for my own edification look around for an answer on this. No promise but I'll PM ya if I find out in the near future.

I never could understand why 13 didn't put on the suites for insulation if nothing else. With everything off, the extra bulk isn't an issue.

Found these answers on some other sites I visit, I snipped several together:

The primary reason they didn't don their full suits was because of limited space (no pun intended). When suited, the space inside the LM was tight for two people - with three, it would have been near impossible to maneuver.

-------------

They couldn't afford the power needed to run what was called the "suit circuit" fans. They could barely afford to run the cabin fan in the LM to keep air circulating.

Without air flowing through those suits, you overheated very quickly. Overall, the crew would have been in *worse* shape from overheating and dehydration than they were in from the chilled air they had to endure.

On top of all that, while all three men had suits, the LM could only have provided air cooling to two of them at a time -- so, even if they could have afforded to run the suit circuit, one guy would have either had to freeze or be left to sweat precious water out.

-----------

Lovell and Haise did at one point wear their overboots. Without the same, Swigert put on an extra pair of longjohns.

That was my point. you normally need an a/c unit to keep from overheating. That is that box they carry while walking to the gantry. so you should be able to warm up in it with a dead capsule.
Now if you can find out how many of the underwear the lady astronaut used to drive cross country to kill the other one. LOL

Well if Space X dude and the others who are trying manage to pull it off, we will have new people who've walked on the moon within 10-15 years I would imagine.

But, you wanna talk about bravery? There is more computing power in my iphone 7 than they had to launch, make it to the moon, and get back. Suck it Christopher Columbus.

Well if Space X dude and the others who are trying manage to pull it off, we will have new people who've walked on the moon within 10-15 years I would imagine.

But, you wanna talk about bravery? There is more computing power in my iphone 7 than they had to launch, make it to the moon, and get back. Suck it Christopher Columbus.

Yeah ... Didn't the Lunar Module operate on what was considered equal to a 386? Yes, true bravery!

Favorite meme:
9c460caca63e28e32ab464d70d72182e.jpg

Sorry I deviated from "space" but it sure relates to the point.

See the fuel running down the wings? That beast was designed to leak so all the seams would fit at altitude and velocity, it expanded so much. Yep - we all have our favorites, don't we?:wink:

Reactions: jwmcgrath

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik