Loss of GPS sats after adding Flytrex Core2

Reaction score
Just more words of encouragement to properly shield your gps antenna lines to prevent interference of video. I have exhausted all of the forums previous tips for shielding the GPS and after adding the larger gps antenna and doing the foil mods including the wires, I finally could count on 8- 11 sats with video rolling. I was a happy camper. After i recently added telemetry (Flytrex Core2) to the PV2+ and immediately was dropping down to 4-6 sats while videoing. The Flytrex comes with a wire splice to the GPS and adds a significant lenght of added wires. After simply wrapping the wire splice in the local Hardware stores Aluminum duct tape and covering it with some mylar packing tape, I am back to 11 sats. It is crazy how much effects this has. I wish DJI and Flytrex could start using somekind of shielded wires. I have to believe this would be a huge asset to all pilots and birds. I thank everyone one of you for posting the tips to correct these manufactured flaws. BTW I love the Flytrex and I love the Phantom. A properly working GPS system is IMPERATIVE to prevent FLYAWAYS and give the COMING HOME feature a chance to work.

You should not need to splice the harness or any wires on the quad. If you do, then you have the wrong harness for a vPlus.

Btw, I tried discussing the satellite issue after adding in the harness an having less satellites. It was never followed up on.

I also have a PV2+ with a flytrex core 2 and it does require a wire harness, I also wrapped the extra wire with copper tape and get great gps with camera on. Really like the set-up.

I think the issue there was his use of the word "splice"...

Flytrex cable is plug and play... "Splice" usually refers to cutting and joining two or more wires.

But then again he did say ... "The Flytrex comes with a wire splice to the GPS and adds a significant lenght of added wires."... So some common sense there would tell you he was just using the wrong word for "adapter harness"

I got rid of that whole adapter harness mess and wired mine in manually to keep the wires short and shielded for just these type of reasons.

I asked this very question of Flytrex, before buying the Core 2, they assured me that it would not need extra shielding!

I have not noticed any drop off since I installed it to my Phantom 2 Vision plus.

jaykay2PT said:
I asked this very question of Flytrex, before buying the Core 2, they assured me that it would not need extra shielding!

I have not noticed any drop off since I installed it to my Phantom 2 Vision plus.

I personally don't think it is a shielding problem. I feel like it has to do with some kind of current draw issue. As in not enough juice to feed the beast. Kind of like a garden hose. The longer the hose, the lower the overall pressure will be. I have not tested to know for sure. I did discover if I raised the rpm up on the quad to point to where it would not lift from the launch pad the satellite number would begin increasing and I could manage marking Home Point.

Having installed Flytrex Core 2 recently, I can say I have also noticed a bit more difficulty locking satellites. Not sure how many satellites I was locking before Flytrex, but 11 is the most I have seen since installing it. I'm often a 9 or so unless 100 feet or more up.
Contacted Flytrex and waiting for a response....but I'm sure it will be the canned one as usual.
Guess I better do something. Shielding or shortening....or both.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20