Losing video quality

Reaction score
HI Guys,

I'm shooting in 2.7k 25 fps ....great quality, crystal clear. When i edit and render i feel like I'm losing a lot of video quality. How can i keep that crystal clear image that I'm getting during flight but losing when exporting and sending video via email or dropbox? Really hope there's a way around this. Thanks in advance.

Ryan.

Can you give us an idea of your editing work flow? What editing software do you use? What effects (if any) do you apply? And what settings do you use when you export the video?

Are you using a lossless video codec?

usually when a video is rednered for email/facebook it looses a LOT of quality., try to render it as the original file.
You'll get a massive file then, put that on youtube or wherever and send that link around.

First off, i want to say thank you to those who responded. :D I'm still trying to figure out which editing process will work best. I literally plug in my GoPro import and upload to DropBox. But I have access to Adobe Lightroom & IMovie/Iphoto as well. I just want to be able to share a video with my family/client without quality loss or taking up to an hour to upload. All suggestions are welcome, i can really use the help. Thanks!

-Ryan

Its either no loss and an hour upload, or loss and smaller file = quicker upload. I'd go for best q.

Most any video file you are able to email is going to suck when it comes to quality.

You need to check your output render settings as mentioned above.

Hi quality is large file size.

SaltWaterNole said:
CarlJ said:
Are you using a lossless video codec?

No. Could you explain a little more if time permits? Thx.

The problem with GoPro footage is that it records a lower bit rate, and as a H264 codec, a codec which is typically used to deliver. So if you edit that footage and export again as H264, then you are in turn losing quality as it is compressing the footage again.

So the best solution, if uploading to vimeo or youtube, it to export at a lossless codec (ProRes 422, Lossless AVI) and upload, because youtube and vimeo will compress your video, again.

Make sense?

You don't need lossless to produce a near perfect result. You can shoot, edit and upload in H.264 and maintain very high quality. One could argue the conversion back and forth to ProRes or other formats can also degrade output if not done right. And while H.264 is not the best for editing, it is done all the time with impressive results.

OP, you need to describe what tools and settings you're using to edit and export. It sounds like something is wrong with your setup.

Also if you are really concerned with output quality, you want to shoot in Protune as you will effectively double your bit rate and gain a lot of latitude.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1