LOS or FPV

Reaction score
Probably been discussed before but I'd like to hear from flyers promoting their preferred method.
I've been flying LOS with the addition of a 7" monitor which I can glance at to see the video framing but some posted vids which seem to be FPV are way more carefree (for lack of a better word) than mine. Does FPV give you the confidence to just take off and go see the sights?
LOS I'm always seeing the phantom in relation to obstacles and it's like trying to control something by proxy. Is FPV more intuitive and easier?

You touché the point: LOS are great for detecting obstacles in any relation to the phantom. While FPV you only see what the camera FOV can show. Sometimes I went down while FPVing and at just last moment found too close to anything under and on my way (trees, walls, even ground).

So I combine both, depending the environment: many obstacles, water, fences: a) FPV only high altitude or b) LCD, LOS

The main reason I went for a screen FPV setup over goggles is for the easy transition from FPV to LOS this allows. I do however fly some fpv flights without looking away from the screen most of the flight, only coming back to check the led as I fly by and for take off and landing in LOS. Longer range is pretty much impossible in LOS and being able to frame your video properly. Also FPV lets you be more adventurous in flight but best to keep moving forward as its the only direction you can see on your screen.

Both modes of flight are quite different and for the purpose of shooting video FPV has big advantages but best to always have the option to switch between then quickly if needed and only a screen setup allows this easily. LOS is great at spotting obstacles but inky at very close range, I dont know about everyone else but much beyond 50m I struggle with depth perception and so LOS flight is much more guesswork then FPV beyond that range. But very close range slow proximity flying LOS is great just not so far away that you cant see how close to other objects you actually are.

having only had my phantom a couple weeks, i found it great fun with fpv goggles (fat shark) . not tried just a screen but dont think it would be as good when flying :D

It does depend on the screen as a crappy screen is hard to fly off but a decent screen will be as good if not better then fatshark goggles. I have even seen a guy setup his FPV off a huge 50 inch screen in the back of his car, image was amazing and I think it was the ultimate FPV setup. :lol:

There are also much better video goggles around then the fatsharks but they dominate the market as they provide decent screens at a reasonable price. They are also specific for fpv so dont blue screen like many better goggles and screens may do, a screen is a much safer way of flying FPV if you dont have a spotter, you can still see things around you but the goggles work as blinkers shielding the outside world completely from your view but also gives better daylight performance the any cheap lcd screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31