Loosing connection at high altitude.

Reaction score
So out of curiosity I'm wondering why I lose signal when I go 578 meters up, but yet I'm able to go out at lower altitudes to 4 kilometers? You would think that if you can go out for kilometers with full connection, surely you'd be able to go up at least one kilometer without losing connection.

No?

No ... it's all to do with the angles between the antennas on the controller and the Phantom.
For good signal strength you need the antennas to be as close to parallel as possible.
Straight up is always the trickiest point to maintain good signal.

Reactions: diablovista
No ... it's all to do with the angles between the antennas on the controller and the Phantom.
For good signal strength you need the antennas to be as close to parallel as possible.
Straight up is always the trickiest point to maintain good signal.
I did try to keep it as parallel as possible to the quad. No matter what I did I could not regain connection. I flew it out away from me a bit and then straight up so as to try not have it directly over me.

I did try to keep it as parallel as possible to the quad. No matter what I did I could not regain connection. I flew it out away from me a bit and then straight up so as to try not have it directly over me.
OK .. I should have said parallel and pointed at each other.
The higher you go straight up, the more impossible this is.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: snowghost
The app limits your height. 500 Meters is the default limit. What are you looking for up there?

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Also remember the antennas in the Phantom are vertical, so as you gain altitude they effectively move sending and receiving weaker signals.

The RC or TX is only half of the equation.

U sure Fplvert mines 400ft/120m limit
No .. you can adjust that..
The machine though is limited to 500 metres above your home point.
i-JknPbjk-L.png

I'm using an older version of Litchi which still allows a maximum altitude of 6000m. I can manually take it up 578m before loosing signal on my first attempt.

My goal is 600m.

I would think it would work better if you fly out a similar distance to your altitude so the angle is more like 45 degrees.
Straight above you are 'aiming' at the bottom end of the antenna which is in the leg; it's impossible to have the two sides - where most signal emanates from - facing each other.

I don't normally like pointing out spelling mistakes etc but I see it so many times - people who don't know the difference between loosing and losing. Two different words with totally different meanings.
My apologies if it was just a typo!

I would love to know the resource you're using that tells you with 100% certainty there are no aircraft up there.
My eyes. They're good like that.

Also, due to the weather yesterday, the planes landing at the airport about 20km away were landing in an east/West line. I'm far north of them. Generally speaking they never come overhead for landing. I live on the edge of farm lands. It's perfect for flying overall.

I'm using an older version of Litchi which still allows a maximum altitude of 6000m. I can manually take it up 578m before loosing signal on my first attempt.

My goal is 600m.
So with your eyes only you can see the P3P that far up and way!

That is amazing, I have 2020 vision and I am a GA pilot used to scanning for traffic. And I loose sight of the P3P at about 400m distance and altitude combined.

The test is to look down at the iPad/controller and then look up and try to find the MR. Especially if there are clouds and a bit of hazy sky.

Larger Hexas I feel I can see about 600m out, but I don't fly anything further than out that.

I am pretty sure Canada has an altitude limit as well for model aircraft. If they don't they should.

Here in the US it is 400' AGL (120m), you can argue if it is a law or just a rule. As an AMA modeler, you have to follow the AMA guidelines and those are max altitude 400' always in sight, and a few other rules as well, or your AMA insurance is no good.

Fly safe and have fun...

So with your eyes only you can see the P3P that far up and way!

That is amazing, I have 2020 vision and I am a GA pilot used to scanning for traffic. And I loose sight of the P3P at about 400m distance and altitude combined.

The test is to look down at the iPad/controller and then look up and try to find the MR. Especially if there are clouds and a bit of hazy sky.

Larger Hexas I feel I can see about 600m out, but I don't fly anything further than out that.

I am pretty sure Canada has an altitude limit as well for model aircraft. If they don't they should.

Here in the US it is 400' AGL (120m), you can argue if it is a law or just a rule. As an AMA modeler, you have to follow the AMA guidelines and those are max altitude 400' always in sight, and a few other rules as well, or your AMA insurance is no good.

Fly safe and have fun...
No... I can't see it when it's at the 500m height limit in DJI GO (as opposed to Litchi) against the bright sky. I doubt anyone can. If I try for height, I tend to keep it close. This is where I rely on the onboard camera pointing down to get visual feedback. I'm assuming others do the same. It's different at night due to blinking lights and black sky.

No... I can't see it when it's at the 500m height limit in DJI GO (as opposed to Litchi) against the bright sky. I doubt anyone can. If I try for height, I tend to keep it close. This is where I rely on the onboard camera pointing down to get visual feedback. I'm assuming others do the same. It's different at night due to blinking lights and black sky.
I would not advertise the way you fly, and I would not recommend others try it either. It is dangerous.

You are relying on an automatic system to bring the MR back. What if the GPS system goes down. And also winds aloft can be very high. If you fly into some fast winds aloft and the MR is carried away you would soon loose connection and then the return home would not be able to fight the wind. MR would be gone, who knows where to.

I always wonder about those MRs reported by ATP pilots at thousands of foot altitudes. I bet some are ones that just got carried away.

Inorder to keep this hobby as open as it currently is we all need to be very careful. And to promote safe operation on these boards.

I think very soon there will be an absolute AGL limit and distance limit built into MRs, and I think this is a good thing for this great hobby. Flying out of sight is unsafe unless you are on an instrument flight plan, that show long range military drones operate under control.

Reactions: PhantomFoxtrot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.