Look's like Phantoms are not alone with being unreliable

Reaction score
On Fox news just a few minutes ago they did a report written in the Washington Post of the fact that 400+ military drones have crash and it averages out to be 1 every 9-10 day's. Now, these crashes are for various reasons including fly aways and mechanicals. The reason they brought this subject up is due to USA companies trying to get authorization to use drones for commercial purposes including delivering pizza's.

If military drones maintained and flown by highly skilled technicians have fly aways and they have to scramble fighters to shoot them down as in one example given.... what makes us think a Chinese company making consumer level drones would have any higher a success rate. I still say gps/naza flight enabled drone technology just is not ready for primetime.

1 crashed military drone every 9-10 day's (47 in the USA)???????????? And they want to take this technology to deliver pizza's???? Not over my house! When this kind of information is more readily discussed on the new's you can bet this activity will start getting more regulated in the USA. Only a matter of time especially with some of the foolishness we see from Phantom owners on U-Tube...

I worked with drone operators in the Army 5 years ago. The average flight hours put on these things is about 5 times a traditional airframe. Unlike traditional pilots they do not do PM or pre-flight walk arounds either. So the pilot has to trust the ground crew which is more than likely 1/2 way around the world. No wonder they have such a high accident rate.

JimDE said:
On Fox news just a few minutes ago they did a report written in the Washington Post of the fact that 400+ military drones have crash and it averages out to be 1 every 9-10 day's. Now, these crashes are for various reasons including fly aways and mechanicals. The reason they brought this subject up is due to USA companies trying to get authorization to use drones for commercial purposes including delivering pizza's.

If military drones maintained and flown by highly skilled technicians have fly aways and they have to scramble fighters to shoot them down as in one example given.... what makes us think a Chinese company making consumer level drones would have any higher a success rate. I still say gps/naza flight enabled drone technology just is not ready for primetime.

1 crashed military drone every 9-10 day's (47 in the USA)???????????? And they want to take this technology to deliver pizza's???? Not over my house! When this kind of information is more readily discussed on the new's you can bet this activity will start getting more regulated in the USA. Only a matter of time especially with some of the foolishness we see from Phantom owners on U-Tube...

No one thinks a Phantom will have a higher success rate. RC pilots crash all the time lol

I'm not aware of any RC-controlled UAV that isn't potentially capable of fly-aways...and certainly crashes. Does anyone know of any?

Flying Cephlopod said:
I'm not aware of any RC-controlled UAV that isn't potentially capable of fly-aways...and certainly crashes. Does anyone know of any?

I don't know of any RC aircraft that doesn't have that potential...maybe not so much flyaways as it could be interfence that would knock an aircraft down.

The difference is that if you lose power in a fixed wing aircraft, a good RC pilot can 'dead stick' the aircraft to a soft (or softer) landing. Quads don't offer you that.

BigTulsa said:
Flying Cephlopod said:

I don't know of any RC aircraft that doesn't have that potential...maybe not so much flyaways as it could be interfence that would knock an aircraft down.

The difference is that if you lose power in a fixed wing aircraft, a good RC pilot can 'dead stick' the aircraft to a soft (or softer) landing if you still have command of the a/c. Quads don't offer you that.

As long as forthcoming FAA regs limit pizza delivery to pies 12" or less and no more.than 2 toppings, the delivery quads (or hexes) can be small enough that serious human injury is highly unlikely.

wkf94025 said:
As long as forthcoming FAA regs limit pizza delivery to pies 12" or less and no more.than 2 toppings, the delivery quads (or hexes) can be small enough that serious human injury is highly unlikely.

What, no coke or garlic bread?

Seriously though, the tech needs some major advancements before they start delivering pizza.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.