Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Looking in to the Phantom 1.1.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amrflyingdude, Jan 9, 2014.

1. amrflyingdude

Hello everyone,

I currently own an phantom 2 vision and I am loving it. I do however have a go pro H3+ and wanted to buy me a basic quad just to attach my go pro and also wanted to get in to FPV with Fatshark Goggles. I was looking at the Blade 350qx since I already wn a phantom I guess it was a logical choice but the 350qx is payload limited and will probably fly for 5 minutes with camera and FPV on board. SO I was considering a Phantom 1.1.1 Are these good? Will this be discontinued soon? Seems like people loves them so I am considering 1.

Thanks in advance.

2. Surf Island

I just got mine for Christmas. I didn't have to do a thing to pull off nice flights in the wind, and I'm pretty new to rc flying.
    I did nothing in my editing to smooth out the video.

[youtube]hNdqV0vnXxU[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNdqV0vnXxU&noredirect=1

3. DanCH

I got a Phantom 1.1.1 last tuesday. It's my first Phantom, so I can't compare how it flys to a P2 or P2V.

But I do absolutely love it. I doubt it will be discontinued soon, as from what I've read it's meant to be the "beginner" model to get more people into flying DJI quads at a lower price point.

I didn't get a proper camera for it yet, I went straight for FPV with a Fat shark predator 2 kit. Really easy to get working for a total newbie like me. For my first FPV flights I was getting a good 250 meters with a 25mW TX the Fatshark kit came with (strongest Tx I can use here in Switzerland without a license). Didn't try further as my DJI battery charger has problems and the cells were no where near properly balanced. Infact, I got caught out with my 3rd battery as my Phantom had to auto land after only 4 minutes due to the 3rd cell being nearly completely depleted (other 2 were at 50%). I think most people expect 8-10 minutes on a full charged and balanced battery.

So I guess my advice is to make sure you get a decent battery charger, because FPVing with a Quad that has a shortish battery time is already risky (although auto land saved mine :)) without having to worry about a badly balanced battery. This is obviously not really a problem with a P2V that has a battery meter on your mobile.

Oh and I am not sure how difficult it is to get an OSD on it, but it seems even though the 1.1.1 has NAZA V2 it doesn't have a PMU V2, so thats an extra upgrade involving some soldering if my research is correct. This will be my next project once I work out how to solder well enough :)

Getting a GPS Tracker for it soon too. Something else that comes with a stock P2V.

Btw, really impressed with Surf Islands video quality, as it's just using the default mount. Awesome stuff :)

4. amrflyingdude

I think I'm gonna go for it. Like I said, the Blade 350 qx was also on my list, since I have a phantom already would have been nice to try something else, but after the go pro and the fatshark setup the blade will be out of fuel in 5 minutes.

Thanks both for pitching it, awesome video BTW