Looking for P2 V+ battery extender mod

Reaction score
hey guys, I am desperately trying to find a battery extender modification, for example 2 XT60 connectors coming out from the P2 and you can mount additional batteries on board extending the flight time with it.

example 1
example 2

thanks

807654_929bbcf83cca4c6eb2726e48a30121e1.jpg

You can make them yourself. There is a thread in the P3A forum that likely describes how to do it...

hey guys, I am desperately trying to find a battery extender modification, for example 2 XT60 connectors coming out from the P2 and you can mount additional batteries on board extending the flight time with it.

example 1
example 2

thanks
I did a very simple mod to my P2v+ that Dirty Bum shown me. You don't have to mess with the stock battery. You just solder the leads to the main board with the 2 leads connect. do it to the main board not the other end. run the leads down one of the legs and you have it. I mounted a piece of plastic to strap the battery too. the battery in the picture is a 2700mah. and if you what make a y connector for two batteries.
IMG_20160724_221825443.jpg

IMG_20160725_080735592.jpg

I have to question the thinking behind adding substantial additional weight to your bird as the motors and ESC's are working harder and likely pushing their lives to the edge. I believe that DJI's engineers have already optimized the design, given stock weight and mission expediencies. your mileage may vary.

I have to question the thinking behind adding substantial additional weight to your bird as the motors and ESC's are working harder and likely pushing their lives to the edge. I believe that DJI's engineers have already optimized the design, given stock weight and mission expediencies. your mileage may vary.
This maybe true. But we are getting more time in the air per flight. And more time means farther flights. As for the motors & ESC boards. I can't answer that.

I've been working on how to extend the flight with what I have already, meaning batteries. I have 2-6000mah smart batteries , 2- 2700mah, 1 3300mah and 3- 5200mah smart batteries.
I had a part left over from and old P2, the plug that goes into the battery. (picture 1). So I adapted it to a xt60 plug. So I can use two smart batteries.
I was going to try and use one of the after market batteries and it would not work with the DJI smart battery. I had the after market setup as the main battery and the DJI as the extra. when I would start up the main all is good and then start the extra battery the main would start binging like it's charging. and if I turn off the extra battery the main would go off also. So I switched out to 2 DJI and it work perfect.
today with both 5200 batteries on. I flow for about 15 3/4 minutes a lot of stop and goes and landed with 39% battery. Funny thing is when I turned off the extra battery (first) the it turned off the main battery too. The main battery had two solid green lights still and the extra had two solid and 1 binging light. I could see that the drone was recalculating flight time.
With the extra weight it did not seem to bother the drone. left and controls were good. weather was 73 degree and humidity was 70%. with a little wind maybe 3 mph.
Here is the flight replay
URL:
http://www.flightreplay.com/share/track/willis-west-6220

IMG_20161002_210949063.jpg
IMG_20161002_220850590.jpg
IMG_20161002_220900898.jpg
IMG_20161002_223810678.jpg

I've been working on how to extend the flight with what I have already, meaning batteries. I have 2-6000mah smart batteries , 2- 2700mah, 1 3300mah and 3- 5200mah smart batteries.
I had a part left over from and old P2, the plug that goes into the battery. (picture 1). So I adapted it to a xt60 plug. So I can use two smart batteries.
I was going to try and use one of the after market batteries and it would not work with the DJI smart battery. I had the after market setup as the main battery and the DJI as the extra. when I would start up the main all is good and then start the extra battery the main would start binging like it's charging. and if I turn off the extra battery the main would go off also. So I switched out to 2 DJI and it work perfect.
today with both 5200 batteries on. I flow for about 15 3/4 minutes a lot of stop and goes and landed with 39% battery. Funny thing is when I turned off the extra battery (first) the it turned off the main battery too. The main battery had two solid green lights still and the extra had two solid and 1 binging light. I could see that the drone was recalculating flight time.
With the extra weight it did not seem to bother the drone. left and controls were good. weather was 73 degree and humidity was 70%. with a little wind maybe 3 mph.
Here is the flight replay
URL:
http://www.flightreplay.com/share/track/willis-west-6220

View attachment 66299
View attachment 66300
View attachment 66301
View attachment 66302

Thanks for the info! I think I will try this mod to get a few more minutes. My setup is heavier than yours as it has a Zenmuse with hero 3, and Lightbridge. I have been thinking about transferring all the components to a lighter carbon fiber frame similar to a Tarrot frame and adding an additional battery.

if you do a simple hover time check of with, and without the additional battery, please share the flight time. I would like to get my setup to about 25 minute flight time.

Thanks,

Luis.

Thanks for the info! I think I will try this mod to get a few more minutes. My setup is heavier than yours as it has a Zenmuse with hero 3, and Lightbridge. I have been thinking about transferring all the components to a lighter carbon fiber frame similar to a Tarrot frame and adding an additional battery.

if you do a simple hover time check of with, and without the additional battery, please share the flight time. I would like to get my setup to about 25 minute flight time.

Thanks,

Luis.
I'm getting a little more time but for the extra weight. I'm thinking it would be smarter to go with just a standard 5200 and a xt60 plug.or which ever plug you use.
A friend has a xk380 detect drone and it takes a 5400 battery I checked the weight an it was allot less than the smart battery. I can't find the weight picture. but here is a link to one of the batteries.
Extra Spare 5400mAh 11.1V 20C Battery Fitting for XK Detect X380 Remote Control Quadcopter

I'm getting a little more time but for the extra weight. I'm thinking it would be smarter to go with just a standard 5200 and a xt60 plug.or which ever plug you use.
A friend has a xk380 detect drone and it takes a 5400 battery I checked the weight an it was allot less than the smart battery. I can't find the weight picture. but here is a link to one of the batteries.
Extra Spare 5400mAh 11.1V 20C Battery Fitting for XK Detect X380 Remote Control Quadcopter

Cool thanks for the info!

One of the best guides ever, it is in russian BUT with subtitles.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is great and explains in detail all the internals and connections of the battery.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
One of the best guides ever, it is in russian BUT with subtitles.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is great and explains in detail all the internals and connections of the battery.
I tried cracking open one of the P2 batteries. It left burn marks on my desk. Then do smoke a lot and a nice fire. :confused::(:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers